Royal Caribbean - Port Canaveral

They may have modified the turning basin back when they prepped the port for the arrival of Freedom of the Seas after Mariner of the Seas went to Cali.

Will the central turning basin (one across from proposed new terminal) need additional modification or expanding?

I personally would think that Port Canaveral would be less desirable because of the fact that there are no airports nearby unlike Tampa, FLL, and Miami. In those cases the airports are a less than 20 minute drive to the port.

I took one cruise out of Canaveral years ago, and we flew in the day of the cruise. We woke up at 3 AM, flew out of Providence at 6 AM, landed at 9 AM, finally got on the 11 AM bus to the port, and finally got on the ship by 2 PM at which time we basically crashed in our rooms until the mandatory drill. It was not enjoyable that first day.

OTOH, I have taken cruises out of FLL, and since the airport is right next to the port, we have shaved two hours off of getting on the ship.

I know that most people here fly in the day before, and I usually do that also, but sometimes schedules do not permit that (Saturday Cruises for example)

The other thing to consider is that there are lots of people who would rather drive to PC than FLL or Miami. Those addittional two to three hours makes a difference for those already driving from far north or west. So any improvements made at the port, additional ship, larger ships and varying schedules including Southern Caribbean makes it even more appealing to cruise from. Before or after a cruise there is also that option of driving to Orlando with the family.

Port Canaveral isn't investing $85million in a new terminal that is the same size as the Oasis terminal in FLL "just because". The question is not if, but when is a Oasis class ship coming to Port Canaveral? The three best scenarios I think in chronological order are

1) When the Oasis comes back from Europe this Oct/Nov.

2) May/June 2015 when the current itinerary schedule runs out.

3) When the 3rd Oasis class ship is put into service in 2016.

My "money" is on #2 IF RCI's contract with Port Everglades allows it.

We love it too. It's just so much less stressful than the other ports and so easy to get to for those who live in the south.
And the LA told me that RCI has a contract to keep a ship in Port C through 2016. An LA can't say this but I'm pretty sure that RCI will keep a ship in Port C for many years. FR sails full and they extended EX's cruises for about 6 weeks. They are getting good price as shown by the price for our JS on the Dec. 4 increased to $2,000+ and an added cruise for the same 9 night cruise (ABC islands) is starting at the same price for a JS.

Will the central turning basin (one across from proposed new terminal) need additional modification or expanding?

It very well may need to be modified.

Back about a month ago, Freedom of the Seas returned to Port Canaveral for an offload of a passenger needing medical attention. They docked just east of the Middle Turning Basin. After the passenger was offloaded, the ship was brough to the West Turning Basin, turned around then brought back out. That may be the only clue we have to work with. Given that, I think it's safe to say the Middle Turning Basin is not currently big enough to accommodate Freedom, much less Oasis.

Port Canaveral isn't investing $85million in a new terminal that is the same size as the Oasis terminal in FLL "just because". The question is not if, but when is a Oasis class ship coming to Port Canaveral? The three best scenarios I think in chronological order are

Either one of those three are very good possibilities.

However, I tend to think it's going to be 2016 when the 3rd Oasis Class is called into service. I don't see Royal Caribbean leaving just one Oasis Class Ship in Port Everglades for 6 months or more given the amount of passengers they are projected to be pushing through that port in a given year.

A lot of people think Oasis of the Seas will be called to Port Canaveral. I am also one of them. But here's something that just popped into my head. I know Allure had the Azipod issue that was or has been fixed. What I haven't kept up on is has that affected it's dry dock schedule that would follow Oasis??

If not, maybe it's fare to say that Oasis returns to Port Everglades and remains there after it's scheduled dry dock. Allure of the Seas calls to Port Canaveral and Oasis III (I think Passion of the Seas will be it's name) will call to Port Canaveral. The timing of scheduled dry dock and maiden voyage of Oasis III seem to be more suited for something of that nature happening... :confused:

Back about a month ago, Freedom of the Seas returned to Port Canaveral for an offload of a passenger needing medical attention. They docked just east of the Middle Turning Basin. After the passenger was offloaded, the ship was brough to the West Turning Basin, turned around then brought back out. That may be the only clue we have to work with. Given that, I think it's safe to say the Middle Turning Basin is not currently big enough to accommodate Freedom, much less Oasis.

I noticed FR going to the West Turning Basin instead of the Middle Turning Basin.

All signs seem to be pointing towards Oasis III going to Asia, so I don't think that's going to have much impact on Oasis potentially coming to PC.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Oasis or Allure come to PC and Indy replace one of them in Fort Lauderdale year round, since Anthem will replace her in Southampton.

I could be off... but I see Enchantment staying put, Oasis coming to PC, Freedom going to Galveston (:mad: :( ), Indy going to Fort Lauderdale to replace Oasis, and Explorer going to Asia. Navigator could potentially do seasonal PC cruises, like Explorers ABC islands and short cruises.

Thanks for sharing this info about Freedom and turning basins.

All signs seem to be pointing towards Oasis III going to Asia, so I don't think that's going to have much impact on Oasis potentially coming to PC.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Oasis or Allure come to PC and Indy replace one of them in Fort Lauderdale year round, since Anthem will replace her in Southampton.

I could be off... but I see Enchantment staying put, Oasis coming to PC, Freedom going to Galveston (:mad: :( ), Indy going to Fort Lauderdale to replace Oasis, and Explorer going to Asia. Navigator could potentially do seasonal PC cruises, like Explorers ABC islands and short cruises.

Interesting. Haven't seen anything with regards to Oasis III going to Asia. It also doesn't make too much sense to refurb a ship, send it to an area to run cruises for only a handfull of months until another ship takes it place.

However, I tend to think it's going to be 2016 when the 3rd Oasis Class is called into service. I don't see Royal Caribbean leaving just one Oasis Class Ship in Port Everglades for 6 months or more given the amount of passengers they are projected to be pushing through that port in a given year.

A lot of people think Oasis of the Seas will be called to Port Canaveral. I am also one of them. But here's something that just popped into my head. I know Allure had the Azipod issue that was or has been fixed. What I haven't kept up on is has that affected it's dry dock schedule that would follow Oasis??

If not, maybe it's fare to say that Oasis returns to Port Everglades and remains there after it's scheduled dry dock. Allure of the Seas calls to Port Canaveral and Oasis III (I think Passion of the Seas will be it's name) will call to Port Canaveral. The timing of scheduled dry dock and maiden voyage of Oasis III seem to be more suited for something of that nature happening... :confused:

bigsteelerfan

Cool Cruiser

------------

Not sure why a lot of people think Oasis will go to PC instead of Allure. Of the two I would guess Allure because of the two current Captains and their past history sailing out of PC (Capt. Johnny and Tore). I know it is not enough of a reason, but since we are speculating why not.

However, based on the FloridaToday article, with references to "New" ship and possible repositioning of other ships, I would think for RCI it would be the Oasis III and for NCL the second Breakaway Plus ship since the first is rumored to be going to Miami. If these are the only two companies PC is signing a deal with for the new terminal, one or both will bring a new ship to PC. Thoughts?

G85 SS - By the way I also think Oasis III may be named "Passion of the Seas" based on reading between the lines of Adams blog post below and just speculation. See last paragraph with the use of the word passion. I posted this awhile back in the Quantum Keel Block thread.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/blog/the-importance-of-shipyard-visits/

Quote:

In St. Nazaire, we celebrated the first steel cutting of Oasis III.* It was a festive affair and underscored the mutual good feeling of the restoration of a relationship that had been extremely important to our development (Sovereign, Monarch, Majesty, Empress, Legend, Splendour, Rhapsody, Vision plus Celebrity’s Millennium-class) but had lapsed for about ten years before the Oasis III order. For a number of the top executives at STX France, their first project of their careers was the design and construction of Sovereign of the Seas in the mid/late 1980’s. So they are thrilled to have the opportunity to provide us with an Oasis-class ship.* An extra bonus of the day was absolutely spectacular weather on the Atlantic coast of France, not always the most hospitable of places.

I suppose when something is going to come into existence with its own unique name, everyone involved is going to feel a lot of passion for it.* Our new ships certainly fit that bill.* I thank all the men and women who work on these amazing projects for the shipyards, their affiliates and their suppliers.* We are very much looking forward to the fruits of their labors.

End Quote

Now back to RCi and PC.

I think that is also a very interesting thought. I would love for a brand spankin new ship to end up in Port Canaveral. I think the term "new" may be used loosly in that article though. New meaning newer than what is already available out of Port Canaveral.

G85 SS - By the way I also think Oasis III may be named "Passion of the Seas" based on reading between the lines of Adams blog post below and just speculation. See last paragraph with the use of the word passion. I posted this awhile back in the Quantum Keel Block thread.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/blog/the-importance-of-shipyard-visits/

Quote:

In St. Nazaire, we celebrated the first steel cutting of Oasis III.* It was a festive affair and underscored the mutual good feeling of the restoration of a relationship that had been extremely important to our development (Sovereign, Monarch, Majesty, Empress, Legend, Splendour, Rhapsody, Vision plus Celebrity’s Millennium-class) but had lapsed for about ten years before the Oasis III order. For a number of the top executives at STX France, their first project of their careers was the design and construction of Sovereign of the Seas in the mid/late 1980’s. So they are thrilled to have the opportunity to provide us with an Oasis-class ship.* An extra bonus of the day was absolutely spectacular weather on the Atlantic coast of France, not always the most hospitable of places.

I suppose when something is going to come into existence with its own unique name, everyone involved is going to feel a lot of passion for it.* Our new ships certainly fit that bill.* I thank all the men and women who work on these amazing projects for the shipyards, their affiliates and their suppliers.* We are very much looking forward to the fruits of their labors.

End Quote

Now back to RCi and PC.

Very much so a wink wink nudge nudge there.

I never read that article. Thanks very much for it.... Passion of the Seas for Port Canaveral. I'll take it. :D lol

Just curious as to what made you note "All signs seem to be pointing towards Oasis III going to Asia,". Have there been any new developments and or port agreements entered into? Thank you!

Thanks for the links. Interesting perspectives and lots of possibilities. Well we will all know something soon about all these new builds.

I don't think #3 is the most likely scenario because they are rushing to get the new terminal built by November. They don't need the terminal just to dock the Quantum for a port of call day. They would just need the pier. I think they are rushing the terminal because RCI has told them "Hey get it built and we will get one to you. All just opinion though. Besides the breakway and the getaway will be in new York and Miami next may. The epic will be in spain.

I think that is also a very interesting thought. I would love for a brand spankin new ship to end up in Port Canaveral. I think the term "new" may be used loosly in that article though. New meaning newer than what is already available out of Port Canaveral.

Since you are in Orlando you may have come across this recent article from a day or so ago. There is a section with Q&A with the PC CEO, John Walsh. I thought the section quoted below is interesting in the proposed expansion taking place.

Source: Orlando Sentinel

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-79064821/

Quote:

Q:*How will Port Canaveral meet its ambitious goals for cruise traffic, given the competition from ports in South Florida and elsewhere?

A:*South Florida has limited growth capacity based on large ships, while Port Canaveral has more ability to grow with available harbor and lands. Our growth will not be at the expense of South Florida, but along with it. In addition, we have the ability to finance and build our projects. We also benefit from a strong drive market that is three hours closer for northern cruisers traveling south. Our wide array of diverse destination and entertainment options in Central Florida are attractive for combining with cruise vacations.

We are confident because our projections are not guesses, but based upon the long- term reservations cruise lines are requesting for berths. Several lines are willing to guarantee us minimum volumes, so we project we will grow to five million passenger movements by late 2015 from our current four million. By late 2017, we expect to grow to six million. Beyond that, we will pause and assess how the overall market continues to grow and plan accordingly. Projections are that we can move to eight million by 2025.

End Quote

Since you are in Orlando you may have come across this recent article from a day or so ago. There is a section with Q&A with the PC CEO, John Walsh. I thought the section quoted below is interesting in the proposed expansion taking place.

Source: Orlando Sentinel

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-79064821/

Quote:

Q:*How will Port Canaveral meet its ambitious goals for cruise traffic, given the competition from ports in South Florida and elsewhere?

A:*South Florida has limited growth capacity based on large ships, while Port Canaveral has more ability to grow with available harbor and lands. Our growth will not be at the expense of South Florida, but along with it. In addition, we have the ability to finance and build our projects. We also benefit from a strong drive market that is three hours closer for northern cruisers traveling south. Our wide array of diverse destination and entertainment options in Central Florida are attractive for combining with cruise vacations.

We are confident because our projections are not guesses, but based upon the long- term reservations cruise lines are requesting for berths. Several lines are willing to guarantee us minimum volumes, so we project we will grow to five million passenger movements by late 2015 from our current four million. By late 2017, we expect to grow to six million. Beyond that, we will pause and assess how the overall market continues to grow and plan accordingly. Projections are that we can move to eight million by 2025.

End Quote

To essentially double in size by 2025. That is definitely a lot of growth in the next 10 years.

And he hit the nail on the head with Orlando. And I did not see the article. Thanks.

To essentially double in size by 2025. That is definitely a lot of growth in the next 10 years.

And he hit the nail on the head with Orlando. And I did not see the article. Thanks.

You are welcome. I also thought the increase in passenger movement from 4 million in 2014 to 5 million in late 2015 may suggest something about ship deployment and schedules at PC, unless I read it wrong.

You are welcome. I also thought the increase in passenger movement from 4 million in 2014 to 5 million in late 2015 may suggest something about ship deployment and schedules at PC, unless I read it wrong.

The only way to do that is with the use of more ships and bigger ships. Even an additional 1 million people is a lot of bodies to move.

I wish something would just come out, in stone, already. lol. I'm tired of trying to guess. It's cooked my brain trying to figure out what the executives with RCCL are doing with all these ships.

Screw it. I say they just add new ports of call and home port at new ports all together. Antarctica anybody? On Board a Radiance Vessel. Definitely would be a cheaper option that the National Geographic Explorer! LOL

• 4 weeks later...
RCI already has 2 ships in PC, and the Ex is coming for a winter season next year, it has been reported that RCI is going to place another ship in PC full time, so maybe the EX will stay. Carnival had 3 ships for a while but have pulled one recently, looks like they are now replacing it

EX is on the 2015-16 deployment schedule for cruises from China and Australia/NZ.

EX is on the 2015-16 deployment schedule for cruises from China and Australia/NZ.

Thanks for confirming what most have speculated here about. She must be headed there after her drydock. The itinerary that takes her from PC to the Far East should be interesting.