Maasdam: We Boarded on June 11, and Disembarked on June 25, 2005

sail7seas

I can understand not wanting to wear the stickers on your clothing. Maybe you could put it somewhere it is not conspicuous , like behind a lapel ,and show it only when needed. I think being able to afford a suite. and needing to flaunt it to others are two very different things. That being said, staff need to know you are suite pax when you first come on board just so that you do receive some of the special perks that go with paying the big $$.

Statendam - Oct/Nov 2004 - got a USA Today paper the first day the cruise began - nothing after that for 21 days.

Westerdam - Jan 2005 - no papers.

Volendam - Feb/Mar 2005 - USA Today only in St Thomas.

Zuiderdam - Miami Herald - Ft Lauderdale only.

I guess it's another one of those things they think that we (a) don't care about them cutting back on and/or (b) think we don't notice or © they don't care either way. That nickle is screaming before it gets spent!

S7S's -- Welcome home .. glad to read you had a great trip.

We've been in suites on the Zuiderdam/03, Volendam/04 and Zaandam/05 --the only papers we every received were the times daily digest delivered to the suite .. never saw a news paper .. we did see news papers in the explorations cafe, but they were days old most of the time.

We did not get a gold sticker on the Zaandam .. We were the first suite passengers to approach the counter, so perhaps that was an oversight...but I was very glad not to have that sticker slapped on me .. I don't recall seeing gold stickers on anyone in the Neptune that day.

Enjoying your trip report ... Thanks!

Peggy

I mentioned above that our Maitre d' was Tri. He is such a professional and such a charming, gracious man. We have cruised with him in the past and he most generously remembered us and greeted us warmly. He had assigned us our 'usual table' per our request through our TA and we were delighted to sit in our seats for the two weeks. He visited with us each evening and was always checking to be sure everything was fine. It was More than Fine. It was really Wonderful.

Our dining steward, Sanyo, always does World Cruise and without question is among the best we have ever been so fortunate to have take care of us. (We will always remember Agus from Zuiderdam who was our steward for four cruises....two sets of back-to-backs. Sanyo and he are on a par IMO) Our Assistant steward was a delightful young man named Made who was as eager to please as anyone we have ever met. His timing was perfect and we never sat long with dirty dishes in front of us and he arrived with our coffee just when we were ready to reach for a sip. He always got it exactly right after asking us the first night what we would like. He never asked again.

He also did something very nice when he cleared our table. He made use of a small round tray and removed our bread basket, salt and pepper shakers, butter to this small tray rather than piling them up and down is hands and arms as we usually see waiters do. It was quite nice to see him clear in this nice manner. How nice he had the time to do so. This cruise we had no sense of the dining room being short staffed. It it was in other areas of the room, I cannot say. In our area, the stewards had a moment to chat. They did not seem to be as harried as we have seen them recently. Is it possibly a sign of higher per diem; better staffing? Pay more; get more? I don't know. I am asking.

There have been some changes to the menu which we think to be improvements. This is the second cruise where we again saw the 'available every night' options. That had disappeared for a while but now a sirloin steak, salmon or chicken breast can be ordered any night. Several times I ordered the salmon and thought it delicious.

My DH ordered hot soup a few nights and he was so happy it was served to him HOT. That is not always the case. Our entrees always arrived hot and with no taste of having been under heat lights or such. These meals were freshly cooked and served when ready. Executive Chef Tony Tudla is doing a great job IMO

On Baked Alaska (second formal night) they had two dining seatings; the second being at 8:15. This allowed them to introduce the Chefs and parade the baked alaska without disturbing the lower level who would have been having their entree. It worked out well IMO

Champagne Strings played each evening and the music was lovely. I actually timed how long they played one night and on our second formal night of our second cruise, they played for at least 45 minutes. It was wonderful and I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as we did.

I was happy that every evening in the dining room the bread basket had whole wheat bread/roll of some sort. I try hard to avoid white bread/rolls so was happy to be able to enjoy a whole grain or whole wheat roll.

Hors d'ouevres in Ocean Bar each evening were hot and fresh. They had the usual fried cheese, black bean quesadilla, crab cakes, fried chicken pieces, buffalo wings, meatballs and bitterballen etc Nice selection and generously served.

I noticed in the portfolio on our desk there is a new picture postcard of Maasdam. This is the first time I have seen this new card and it took some getting used to. :) I had seen the blue scene for so long, this new golden tone was a whole new look but very nice. I think it great they still supply free postcards for us to send or keep.

News to Suite Passengers------- On both of our cruises, breakfast was available for "S" and "PS" passengers in Pinnacle. Each morning, we could go there if we chose. We did not go as we prefer room service but I think it nice it is again available for those who enjoy it.

We dined in Pinnacle twice while aboard. Both times we fully enjoyed ourselves. We had the same great table at the window both times and loved it. Food and service were excellent. Once I had the Filet Mignon and it was very, very good. The second time I really splurged, cheated and used up two full days of calories and had about a half of the rib eye steak. It was wonderful and well worth the splurge. I just made sure to walk a few extra laps around Promenade the next day. :)

Lido lunch was delicious every day. We ate there every day and I cannot imagine that there isn't some favorite item there for everyone. Truly....it doesn't seem possible to me that we can't all find something to tempt us. They had a pasta bar many days, sandwich bar all afternoon until 5 P.M. (great sandwich choices); wonderful salad bar --so fresh and so many choices every day. Lots of great dressings to choose from. All I usually have is balsamic vinegar and olive oil and it was always there, as was russian dressing, blue cheese, ranch, all the usuals....

Burger bar is always popular as is taco bar. Pizza was way too good. I sampled it twice and could easily have scoffed down many pieces. Thankfully, my will power clicked in and I resisted overdoing it.

Enough about food...I'm getting myself hungry. Have to go get a snack.

I'll be back later. :)

Sail, Your review was great and it answered some of my questions. As well as helped with the excitement of knowing we have less than two weeks till be board the Maasdam. It sounds things are improving in the Dining Room. How nice that the Champagne Strings played in the Dining Room. We enjoyed going to the Explorer's Lounge after dinner to have a drink and listen to them. If they are performing in the Dining Room are they also playing later in the Explorer's Lounge?

You mentioned eating in the Lido everyday, because this is our first time to New England we plan to have lunch in port every day to sample some of the wonderful Sea Food. We especially are looking forward to have fresh Lobster and I love clams and mussels. I know since you live in Boston you are acustom to having this available all the time for us it will be special.

Sails,

I'm enjoying your review so much. Your attentions to the small details is greatly appreciated. As a very experienced cruiser, you give some very interesting insights...

Glad you had a wonderful cruise.

Sail,

Thanks for sharing all the "nitty gritty' of your cruise. I am enjoying reading it and can't wait for the next instalment.

We are certainly looking forward to our time on board the lovely Maasdam.

Jennie

You mentioned Agus from the Zuiderdam. But I am a little confused here because you also mentioned Sanyo as your dining room steward.

Was Agus your cabin steward or dining room steward on the Zuiderdam? We had an Agus on the Zuiderdam as our room steward. Graet room steward.

You mentioned Agus from the Zuiderdam. But I am a little confused here because you also mentioned Sanyo as your dining room steward.

Was Agus your cabin steward or dining room steward on the Zuiderdam? We had an Agus on the Zuiderdam as our room steward. Graet room steward.

I can be confusing, KK. Sorry for being unclear.

Sanyo was our dining steward on these Maasdam cruises and is among the top two or three we have ever had in all of our many HAL cruises.

We had a dining steward on Zuiderdam named Agus who was also Great!! We did two sets of back-to-backs and what a coincidence that he was assigned to our table for both sets. We were thrilled. (Agus is a very common Indonesian name....kind of like John and Robert in our culture.) When we returned for a fifth cruise on Zuiderdam, we were so hoping we'd see him again but he was on vacation.

Guess we'll have to cruise ZUDM again to see him!!

Sail, Your review was great and it answered some of my questions. As well as helped with the excitement of knowing we have less than two weeks till be board the Maasdam. It sounds things are improving in the Dining Room. How nice that the Champagne Strings played in the Dining Room. We enjoyed going to the Explorer's Lounge after dinner to have a drink and listen to them. If they are performing in the Dining Room are they also playing later in the Explorer's Lounge?

You mentioned eating in the Lido everyday, because this is our first time to New England we plan to have lunch in port every day to sample some of the wonderful Sea Food. We especially are looking forward to have fresh Lobster and I love clams and mussels. I know since you live in Boston you are acustom to having this available all the time for us it will be special.

Lisa....

Absolutely if we lived elsewhere, we would have eaten ashore. For us, lobster and mussels and steamers are usual and we have them often. It it very hot in Boston currently and I am on my way to our lobster pound to get some lobsters and steamers for dinner tonight. I'll steam the lobsters and make a nice chilled salad and we'll have a pile of steamers.....I'll think of you while we eat them and hope you enjoy 'your fill' of the same while in pretty New England/Canada on the ;) beautiful and elegant ms Maasdam.

You'll find many local places to choose from for wonderful seafood lunches.

In Bar Harbor, you may wish to look at Testa's. It is straight up the hill from where you exit the terminal from the tenders. Only 2 or 3 small blocks distance.

Just thought I would ask.

One time we had a dining room steward on one ship and this past winter he was our room steward on the Volendam.

Wow, KK....

That is so unusual. I don't think I've ever encountered a change over from dining to cabin steward or the reverse. You must have 'done a double-take' when you realized the switch.

Sail,

Thanks for sharing all the "nitty gritty' of your cruise. I am enjoying reading it and can't wait for the next instalment.

We are certainly looking forward to our time on board the lovely Maasdam.

Jennie

Jennie....I'm glad you are enjoying my posts. I hope you enjoy Maasdam as much as we always do.

Could you tell us what you did in each port, coming and going, please?

Having 2 days in each of these ports on a b2b would great!

Because we cruise so much, we usually now think of the ship as our destination. That is why there are certain things that are more important to us about the 'on-board experience' than there may be for some other people. There are times when we do not leave the ship at all.

On this itinerary, there were only two days when we failed to go ashore...aside from the sea day in each direction. Our first day in Quebec the weather was so atrocious it was way too uncomfortable to be able to enjoy much of anything other than riding around in a taxi or tour bus.

But, I will pull out my notes and post here where we went on the ten days we left the ship.....we loved this itinerary and are thinking of booking it again for next summer.

But, I will pull out my notes and post here where we went on the ten days we left the ship.....we loved this itinerary and are thinking of booking it again for next summer.

I'll be anxious to read your experience. DH is wanting to book a Canada cruise and hasn't been to many of these ports. Did you go to Peggy's Cove on this cruise or earlier- a real historical attraction everyone loves to visit. And Charlottetown and Sydney? I know you were looking forward to those places and we are too.

sail7seas

We have had quite a number of "double takes" on various cruises. A few years ago we had Henri as a cabin steward. On the Volendam we was the supervisor in our suite area.

It's enjoyable to keep running into crew members who have been with HAL for years and do work their way up in the ranks.

sail7seas

We have had quite a number of "double takes" on various cruises. A few years ago we had Henri as a cabin steward. On the Volendam we was the supervisor in our suite area.

It's enjoyable to keep running into crew members who have been with HAL for years and do work their way up in the ranks.

Yes, we certainly have seen much of that as well. We always enjoy seeing our crew friends/acquaintances promoted....indeed, in one case, all the way to Captain. :)

What I meant was from dining steward to cabin steward. I have never seen someone who worked in food service change over to cabin service or vice versa.

Sail

Thank you for your reviews , i am enjoying them very much.

I am kind of new here , but I have gathered that The Maasdam is "your" ship :)

I am so glad that you had such a wonderful time and that "your" beautiful ship was in such great shape for you.

I can understand not wanting to wear the stickers on your clothing. Maybe you could put it somewhere it is not conspicuous , like behind a lapel ,and show it only when needed. I think being able to afford a suite. and needing to flaunt it to others are two very different things. That being said, staff need to know you are suite pax when you first come on board just so that you do receive some of the special perks that go with paying the big $$.

Believe me, if you are willing (and can afford) to pay those big bucks, you sure as hell deserve those special perks. I as one who travels "steerage" never begrudge those suite passengers the special "perks" they get. As far as I'm concerned, they are entitled to them.

But, why can't HAL just reflect suite passenger status by the color of the cruise card ... or maybe a wrist band used at embarkation? The crew would know that people wearing those wrist bands were priority embarkation suite passengers, yet most other passengers (remember, few of our fellow passengers on most sailings ever get online ... or on cruise-related message boards) would have no idea what those bands meant.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Sail, finally got a chance to visit this board and I so enjoyed reading your wonderful review. I feel so badly about your experience with the tour in Quebec ... can't believe they didn't cancel it, but I would have done the same as you did and simply not go. Not my kind of fun!

I'm so thrilled that you were not disappointed in any of it overall. There will always be minor glitches, but I'm so glad to read that your Maasdam lived up to all previous ones. I know how much you were looking forward to this cruise for so many reasons and I'm happy you weren't disappointed in any way. I love your Maasdam myself and I'm so relieved you allow so many of us to be your guest on herwink.gif .

Lisa, you're in for a wonderful treat on this cruise! I'm so mad at Sail for making my mouth water with the thought of steamers and lobster even though I've just finished dinner!biggrin.gif

Just a couple more thoughts about the our cruises on Maasdam.

From the day we boarded, the staircase going from aft Lido (where we often eat our lunch outdoors), down to Navigation Pool were roped off and unusable. The metal steps were in place but the wooden treads that should be covering the metal was removed. I never asked how long before we boarded it was like that but for the two weeks we were aboard, no one was working on them and they were totally ignored. Perhaps they were waiting for new wood treads to be ordered? It got to be annoying IMO

Another small thing that I noticed was that our laundry was nicely done and was returned promptly, but gone were the nice baskets they usually returned our things in. The presentation with the basket and tissue was very nice and it was disappointing to be back to paper bags. I wonder why they stopped using the baskets?

We had our photos taken both times with the Hotel Manager and Captain at both Mariners Parties as we are medal holders. The first week, it was only us with the Captain and HM and the photographers actually delivered the photo to our cabin. That was really nice as far more often than not, they take the photo and we never see it. I've gone to the Photo Shops to buy it and they can't even find it. I always kid they didn't even have film in the camera. This cruise was one of the few when we actually got the pictures and they are a nice momento to have. Second week, it was DH and I in the picture along with four other people. We also got that picture and are happy to have it.

I noticed it was a particularly healthy crowd on both cruises. :) You know how we very often hear lots of sneezing and coughing and wahtever. We hardly heard any of that so there seemed to be few colds spreading through te ship. Never heard any word about anyone being seasick or having any stomach upset. It was very smooth sailing and we appeared to be a healthy bunch. Never saw an ambulance meet the ship in port or an air evacuation which, unfortunately, we often see.

In transit folks (back-to-back cruisers) had an very easy experience in Montreal. There were only 14 of us and we were permitted to leave the ship as soon as disembarkation began and the only stipulation was that we could not reboard until disembarkation had been completed....which was by about 10:30 or so.

We saw dining steward Shy a number of times in Lido handing out trays. I spoke often with him and he really likes his 'star status'. I mentioned to him I had read about him here on the board and he was quite definite he hoped I would greet his 'fan club" as he puts it when I returned and posted here. So....to those or you in Shy's Fan Club......He LOVES IT!!! :)

Forgot to mention in the post where I talked about the dining room, but they offered flaming desserts most every night. DH loved them.

We were invited by another Suite guest to a cocktail party in their suite with about 5 other couples. It was lovely. They had large trays of hors d'ouerves delivered (and she said there was no charge). We had a great time and then proceeded to dinner. Fun folks; fun time.

A few negative comments: No really big deal but nevertheless, noticeabl to me and still on my mind as I write this.

Disembarkation in Boston was pretty smooth with the exception of an untrained, officious Asst. CD who had no clue. She was creating chaos with the early disembarkers (Suite Pax) as she did not know the instructions we had been given and though 3 different couples told her the same thing, she as much as called us liars. Maybe it was her first time doing it and she was way too full of herself but she needs some 'further training' IMO

Hope this has helped answer any questions some folks may have had. I've had fun writing it.

Archived