Higher Single Supplement for Mariner?

sailandcruise

Sometimes I wonder about Hal and how they seem to go out of the way to irritate there more loyal customers. I'm sure the offer you made them was reasonable.

I was thinking that the successful negotiation was on that cruise and I'm speculating it might have been for the penthouse.

I know HAL's offer to us was the full fare difference between our B category and an S category on the Veendam. The increase in fare was $3,998 for the two of us. I counter offered $1,999 and, since our TA had HAL on another line, got an immediate "thanks but no thanks". I actually thought I made a reasonable offer and thought they'd at least counter back but it didn't happen so we sailed in the B category. So much for my negotiating skills. :rolleyes::)

I know HAL's offer to us was the full fare difference between our B category and an S category on the Veendam. The increase in fare was $3,998 for the two of us. I counter offered $1,999 and, since our TA had HAL on another line, got an immediate "thanks but no thanks". I actually thought I made a reasonable offer and thought they'd at least counter back but it didn't happen so we sailed in the B category. So much for my negotiating skills. :rolleyes::)

I think that's a very reasonable offer. It would have been interesting to find out if that suite was occupied for that cruise.

The Prinsendam seems to be treated often as the Amsterdam on a World Cruise. Rarely does HAL lower pricing on a World, prefering to rake in the big money and sail with 800 - 900 pax rather than lowering pricing, even on segments. Often the Prinsendam is likewise treated on the Grands it sails.

HAL often lowers the pricing on other ships to fill them. Seems better to have warm bodies to spend on board than sail with empty rooms. No doubt, though, the catergory of stateroom is important in whether HAL lowers pricing.

I think that's a very reasonable offer. It would have been interesting to find out if that suite was occupied for that cruise.

To the best of my knowledge the cruise sailed 100% full so HAL found somebody to bite at the offer or they lowered the up sell and I wasn't on the short list to call. Turned out to be a miserable cruise so guess I'm glad I didn't invest more money in it.

The Prinsendam seems to be treated often as the Amsterdam on a World Cruise. Rarely does HAL lower pricing on a World, prefering to rake in the big money and sail with 800 - 900 pax rather than lowering pricing, even on segments. Often the Prinsendam is likewise treated on the Grands it sails.

HAL often lowers the pricing on other ships to fill them. Seems better to have warm bodies to spend on board than sail with empty rooms. No doubt, though, the catergory of stateroom is important in whether HAL lowers pricing.

Interesting info.

I spoke to my TA this morning. He suggested booking without our Mariner numbers and adding them after-the-fact as a possible solution. He was able to book at the 150% single supplement. I didn't ask if he had to use this workaround or if he got the lower single supplement directly. But at least he was able to make the booking. :) And he was also able to undercut the HAL web-site price by a little amount for the same cabin too. :D

I spoke to my TA this morning. He suggested booking without our Mariner numbers and adding them after-the-fact as a possible solution. He was able to book at the 150% single supplement. I didn't ask if he had to use this workaround or if he got the lower single supplement directly. But at least he was able to make the booking. :) And he was also able to undercut the HAL web-site price by a little amount for the same cabin too. :D

Excellent. Glad it all worked out for you.

I had heard the same thing about not reducing the prices on the Grand Voyages. On this year Grand Med on the Prinsendam they reduced the price significantly way in advance of final payment and where you got the 3% discount for paying early. I was thrilled, I was sailing on the Prinsendam Grand Med for less than $200 a night as a solo.

One section of the voyage there were only 525 people on board. At no point in the voyage was it completely full. The Prinsendam is now my favorite ship. I wish I could sail on it again for less than $200 a night.

Same thing happened to us on our Antarctica cruise on Amsterdam. We were booked in a "D" oceanview and were looking to upgrade to a balcony. HAL made us a "special" offer, which happened to be a much higher rate than the online TAs were selling the cabin. Airfare to South America was high, the ship was far from full, and HAL was dropping rates, but we.....who had been booked for over a year.....were being given no break. I told our travel agent we were willing to pay $1,000 total for the upgrade. We got the same "no way, Jose" response you did. So, we decided to let it go and stick with our oceanview.

Two weeks before the cruise, we were shocked to discover that we had been given a complimentary upgrade to a "B" balcony. We were thrilled, but I have to wonder at the business acumen of a company that gives away something for free that they could have sold for $1,000.

Archived