Higher Single Supplement for Mariner?

sailandcruise

I'm trying to book a cruise for Christmas Week on the HAL web site. When I sign in using my Mariner Number, the price for one person in the cabin is double the per person price for two people (I.e., a 200% single supplement). When I don't identify myself using my Mariner number, the price that displays is only 50% higher than the double occupancy per person price. :confused:

The obvious solution is to select my cabin and then enter my identification manually. I've tried this, although now when I enter my Mariner Number and it auto-populates with my information, after I hit continue the web site complains that my last name has not been entered. When I try to enter it, the text box becomes inactive and won't accept any entry. :confused: :mad:

I guess I should just make the reservation without entering my Mariner Number, and then put it in later.

Or perhaps my choice is either to pay 200% or be unable to make the booking. :confused:

I'm trying to book a cruise for Christmas Week on the HAL web site. When I sign in using my Mariner Number, the price for one person in the cabin is double the per person price for two people (I.e., a 200% single supplement). When I don't identify myself using my Mariner number, the price that displays is only 50% higher than the double occupancy per person price. :confused:

The obvious solution is to select my cabin and then enter my identification manually. I've tried this, although now when I enter my Mariner Number and it auto-populates with my information, after I hit continue the web site complains that my last name has not been entered. When I try to enter it, the text box becomes inactive and won't accept any entry. :confused: :mad:

I guess I should just make the reservation without entering my Mariner Number, and then put it in later.

Or perhaps my choice is either to pay 200% or be unable to make the booking. :confused:

I would call Hal and make the booking over the phone and get the situation clarified.

I have had a similar problem. Prices for some cruises are higher with my Mariner number (three star) and less when using my daughter's number (one star). My TA works it out but if I had not been experimenting, I wouldn't have discovered it. Looks like they figure I won't jump ship.....they figure wrong!

I don't know if it's a glitch in the system or what. Over the years several of us here have commented about getting or not getting Mariner discounts on cruise fares. Some do, some don't and other than guessing it's a regional or state of origin issue I don't know if we ever figured out exactly what was going on. I know that it makes no difference if I log on using my account or if I come in "blind" so to speak I get the same quote. I've even tried my clean laptop....I have it set to not store any cookies and wipe the browsing history on shutdown....and I get no difference. Beats me....... :confused::)

I also travel solo and noticed the same pricing discrepancies. I wish HAL would stop playing games with the prices. I came up with an idea I wish HAL would implement for solo travellers:

1 star = 70% supplement

2 star = 60% supplement

3 star = 50% supplement

4 star = 40% supplement

5 star = 30% supplement

That is really weird, OP. When our daughter booked her room for our 28-day Far East cruise, she paid (or will pay) a little less than double the pp rate for two. (I imagine the difference was port fees.) I would think a travel agent, or HAL could straighten it out for you.

That's crazy Op. sure love how Hal penalizes their best customers. Let us know what happens if you call Hal.

HAL (or any other company) can extract maximum profit by hiking the prices for those that have demonstrated a willingess to pay more and a bizarre unwillingness to take their business elsewhere. The 'best' customers are those willing to pay more for less and keep coming back.

If you are running a business, there's nothing better than 'loyal/gullible' repeat client willing to pay way above the going rate.

It is because of this kind of nusiance issues that I choose to book through a travel agent. Let them handle the problems/issues. They have the professional knowledge and experience that I lack to solve travel related problems.

HAL (or any other company) can extract maximum profit by hiking the prices for those that have demonstrated a willingess to pay more and a bizarre unwillingness to take their business elsewhere. The 'best' customers are those willing to pay more for less and keep coming back.

If you are running a business, there's nothing better than 'loyal/gullible' repeat client willing to pay way above the going rate.

I have and will continue to cruise with other lines. Maybe you are talking about other people:confused:. Seems like you want to take exception with everything I am posting today.

Maybe you are talking about other people:confused:. Seems like you want to take exception with everything I am posting today.

evidently ,.... and we apparently agree because you -- unlike some -- take your business elsewhere, when it is in you best interests; very wise

It is because of this kind of nusiance issues that I choose to book through a travel agent. Let them handle the problems/issues. They have the professional knowledge and experience that I lack to solve travel related problems.

You have that right. If one can find a good TA, he or she can be worth their weight in gold.

I disagree with the idea that HAL is punishing anyone. True, HAL has to try to maximize revenue. We try to get the best deal we can. Somewhere in that process, we find a cruise we want and HAL offers a price we are willing to pay. If someone negotiates a better deal, it doesn't harm us at all. The price of anything is that number where you have a willing provider and a willing buyer.

You have that right. If one can find a good TA, he or she can be worth their weight in gold.

I disagree with the idea that HAL is punishing anyone. True, HAL has to try to maximize revenue. We try to get the best deal we can. Somewhere in that process, we find a cruise we want and HAL offers a price we are willing to pay. If someone negotiates a better deal, it doesn't harm us at all. The price of anything is that number where you have a willing provider and a willing buyer.

How do you negotiate a deal with Hal? The price is the price. I could see negotiating an upsell but I haven't heard of anyone being successful at that.

As far as singles spending less them couples I have my doubts about that. There was someone on here bragging that the 2 of them spent $6 at the bar all week. I bet that's the kind of couples Hal wants onboard.

How do you negotiate a deal with Hal? The price is the price.

Simple. If HAL is asking more than the customers are willing to pay, the stateroom don't get booked. Then HAL adjusts the prices until all staterooms are booked. HAL prices are in a constant state of flux. We simply never book a cruise until HAL lowers the asking price to one we are willing to pay. And we always watch for price drops in the weeks and months before final payment. Then HAL has the option of giving us the lower price. They usually do because we until final payment, we have the option of cancelling. That is the negotiating process.

The one thing we have never tried to do is haggle over price. "The Price is the price" is a double edged sword. Two can play that game.

DW and I are booked on the NA this fall doing a Collectors Cruise and our single son decided to go along so I called our PCC and booked him a cabin for the first week and the single supplement was 40%.

I could see negotiating an upsell but I haven't heard of anyone being successful at that.
We heard not long ago of a successful negotiation on an upsell (i.e., HAL eventually accepting less than they first asked) but when we tried it the answer was "no". Maybe the successful one was simply a matter of a longer time, and HAL not getting any takers for the original asking price.

We heard not long ago of a successful negotiation on an upsell (i.e., HAL eventually accepting less than they first asked) but when we tried it the answer was "no". Maybe the successful one was simply a matter of a longer time, and HAL not getting any takers for the original asking price.

HAL has been booking cruises for well over a hundred years. Sometimes bargains are available, but there is no way the prospective passenger is ever going to beat them at their own game. They know how to do this. Bon Voyage!!

HAL has been booking cruises for well over a hundred years. Sometimes bargains are available, but there is no way the prospective passenger is ever going to beat them at their own game. They know how to do this. Bon Voyage!!

Yes but it was you that said you could negotiate a price. As far as I can tell from your post you wait for a price that you like. In my mind that is not negotiating, that is just being price sensitive.

I wonder if that was on a recent Prinsendam cruise. If a cabin is going to go empty it would be nice if the would accept reasonable offers.

I wonder if that was on a recent Prinsendam cruise. If a cabin is going to go empty it would be nice if the would accept reasonable offers.
Yes, they turned down our counter-offer for an upgrade to a veranda on the Prinsendam May 2nd T-A, and sailed with about 100 of them unoccupied! Apparently they preferred that to possibly angering some who paid full price for them.

The successful negotiation that I mentioned was also on the Prinsendam, for the T-A back to Europe on May 17.

Yes, they turned down our counter-offer for an upgrade to a veranda on the Prinsendam May 2nd T-A, and sailed with about 100 of them unoccupied! Apparently they preferred that to possibly angering some who paid full price for them.

The successful negotiation that I mentioned was also on the Prinsendam, for the T-A back to Europe on May 17.

Sometimes I wonder about Hal and how they seem to go out of the way to irritate there more loyal customers. I'm sure the offer you made them was reasonable.

I was thinking that the successful negotiation was on that cruise and I'm speculating it might have been for the penthouse.

I also travel solo and noticed the same pricing discrepancies. I wish HAL would stop playing games with the prices. I came up with an idea I wish HAL would implement for solo travellers:

1 star = 70% supplement

2 star = 60% supplement

3 star = 50% supplement

4 star = 40% supplement

5 star = 30% supplement

Like your idea.:D:D:D

Archived