Loyal NCLer just returned from Princess. No top sheets on beds?

toyotaford

We just returned today from a 7 day Alaska cruise on the Golden Princess. On the 4th night I realized we did not have a top sheet on the bed. I thought at first we had just failed to pull it back but after checking there was in fact no top sheet. Just a bottom sheet and a comforter. We didn't mention it that late in the cruise. We normally travel NCL suites and know we always have both bottom and top sheets. I'm now curious if the regular balcony rooms on NCL have both sheets. This definitely didn't ruin our cruise. We had a very nice time. But can honestly say I don't think I have ever stayed anywhere that didn't provide a top sheet. So my fellow NCL cruisers who travel in balcony rooms, did you have a top sheet?

I have stayed in inside cabins and mini suites with NCL and every bed I ever slept in had a flat sheet on top of the fitted sheet like a normal bed. Strange that the other cruise line didn't give flat sheets...

We just returned today from a 7 day Alaska cruise on the Golden Princess. On the 4th night I realized we did not have a top sheet on the bed. I thought at first we had just failed to pull it back but after checking there was in fact no top sheet. Just a bottom sheet and a comforter. We didn't mention it that late in the cruise. We normally travel NCL suites and know we always have both bottom and top sheets. I'm now curious if the regular balcony rooms on NCL have both sheets. This definitely didn't ruin our cruise. We had a very nice time. But can honestly say I don't think I have ever stayed anywhere that didn't provide a top sheet. So my fellow NCL cruisers who travel in balcony rooms, did you have a top sheet?

Yes, NCL always has a top sheet. Princess does not have top sheets unless you specifically ask for one.

Yes, NCL always has a top sheet. Princess does not have top sheets unless you specifically ask for one.

I posted the same question on the Princess Forum and that is what they said. That really seems odd to me.

top sheets always in inside cabin too!

We didn't have a top sheet on our PoA cruise at Christmas. I just asked the steward and it was done. Maybe hit and miss?

Cheers

Saffy

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi

The beds are made up with a duvet, in a duvet cover - which replaces the need for a top sheet :)

If you come to my house, this is what you will get too :D

.......and in pretty much every home across Europe I would think

So, it's not a hit and miss situation - the beds are made up like this intentionally.

Hope this helps :)

Hi

The beds are made up with a duvet, in a duvet cover - which replaces the need for a top sheet :)

So, it's not a hit and miss situation - the beds are made up like this intentionally.

I agree Darcy. The top sheet is just weird and strange to me. I would never use one at home or expect one in a hotel or on a ship.

Hi

When we started cruising on Norwegian, they never used to include a top sheet, only the duvet and, of course, duvet cover.

However, lots of people had issues with no top sheets nonetheless and a few yrs ago NCL began putting out a full bottom & top sheet along with the duvet. I've always found their bedding comfortable.:)

Top sheet in all cabin types incl. inside.

When we started cruising on Norwegian' date=' they never used to include a top sheet, only the duvet and, of course, duvet cover.

However, lots of people had issues with no top sheets nonetheless and a few yrs ago NCL began putting out a full bottom & top sheet along with the duvet. I've always found their bedding comfortable.:)

Top sheet in all cabin types incl. inside.[/quote']

Looks like they bowed to some sort of pressure and started using them.

Hi

And in my house too.....definitely a British thing!! ;)

On our Epic trip we had a top sheet AND the duvet..in a duvet cover.....and the duvet made it's way to the end of the bed EVERY evening! WAY too warm for a lady with a screen name like mine!! :D

We had a top sheet on everyone of our cruises including our CCL in Feb. At home we have a duvet with a cover but always use a top sheet. The duvet cover is a pain to take off and on so while it gets washed it doesn't get washed as often as our sheets do.

Does anyone know if NCL's sheets are 100% cotton?

I assume they are. But DW is extremely allergic to polyester. (makes traveling fun, to have to carry a set of bedding in your suitcase)

Would love to not have to pack a sheet set.

Bill

That's pretty bizarre, isn't it???

I'd have to ask for one. I don't like using a duvet. I am always concerned they don't wash the covers often enough and I need that top sheet.

I have feather quilts that I use duvet covers on at home. Getting the covers on and off it a bit of a hassle....I just don't trust the crew (with turn around time on a ship being as fast as it is????) to change that cover between the last cabin occupant and me.

paranoid, I guess ;)

I agree Darcy. The top sheet is just weird and strange to me. I would never use one at home or expect one in a hotel or on a ship.

I've had experience with both.

I think it is much easier to pull off the top sheet to wash but then your comforter or bedspread does not get washed.

After a time, I invariably feel I should wash those and they never turn out the same-- and I am too cheap to take them to a professional laundry...

Two weeks on Epic in the owner's suite and they didn't use a top sheet. They did change the duvet cover (and the sheets) every three or four days.

Here in FL, we only use a top sheet for sleep, unless it gets cold outside.

On some NCL ships, the comforter was a lot heavier than I liked. On Epic is was lighter, probably "Down" so it was just right.

We have always needed to request the top sheet on Princess at least for the last 5 trips with them. No wonder they were confused last May when I requested this on NCL. We had 2 top sheets:).

I assume they are. But DW is extremely allergic to polyester. (makes traveling fun, to have to carry a set of bedding in your suitcase)

Bill

I would say they are 100% cotton just from the way that they feel.

So how does Princess compare to NCL?

This was our third Princess cruise in 10 years. We were going with 4 other couples and chose this over NCL and RCC because of price. It was nice enough. I felt the selection of the food in the buffet line was limited. The salad bar definitely did not have the selection I was used to on NCL. I heard someone on her cell phone at the airport that had been on our cruise saying that she was not real impressed with the buffet food. Their sandwich shop, the International Café, had some good salads but I had their sandwiches twice and didn't eat either one. And they would heat them but they definitely were not hot. On my second visit the lady in front of me had them heat hers 3 times before she would take it so obviously they were not heating properly in the amount of time they were allowing.

Our bathroom had not been wiped down real well when we arrived and had someone elses hair in the shower. I just wiped it down and also the rest of the bathroom.

The pillow cases and sheet were a little stained but I smelt them and they smelt clean. The beds were definitely not as comfortable as I am used to on NCL.

The room steward was ok. Nothing special. I didn't feel a need to give him an additional tip and I have always done that on the 30+ cruises we have taken.

I am all of a sudden sounding very critical and I didn't mean to. We were on the trip with great friends and had a very nice time. I would definitely do a cruise with friends on Princess again but it would never be my choice for a trip I was taking just for myself.

But, any day on a cruise just about beats any day at work. (And I love my job, so that's a real compliment.)

I should also say that I am comparing NCL suite life to a regular Princess balcony room. We stayed in a suite on Princess on our last trip with them and it was really just a bigger room. The only thing that Princess offers that I know of that NCL doesn't is free internet in their most expensive suite.

Bill

All of the bedding that I use on our bed has been purchased from NCL. I just checked the labels on the sheets, pillowcases and duvet cover, and all of them are 100% Brushed Cotton. No need to carry sheets with you. :D

That's pretty bizarre, isn't it???

I'd have to ask for one. I don't like using a duvet. I am always concerned they don't wash the covers often enough and I need that top sheet.

I have feather quilts that I use duvet covers on at home. Getting the covers on and off it a bit of a hassle....I just don't trust the crew (with turn around time on a ship being as fast as it is????) to change that cover between the last cabin occupant and me.

paranoid, I guess ;)

The Duvet has looped handles, and the Duvet Cover has special access slots in it. It takes me about a minute and a half to remove the Duvet and put it in a clean cover. It's a brilliant design, but if I had to figure it out on my own I'd have been totally lost. Luckily, I got a personal lesson from the Hotel Director on the Star last October. So easy and fast it's unbelievable. ;)

Archived