Tracy Arm Fjord vs. Glacier Bay

AXiDMonica

Please do a quick search of the top 2 or 3 pages - this topic has been discussed several time in the last few weeks.

The short answer is that they are both awesome but for different reasons.

It also depends a lot on when you cruise as Tracy Arm is usually iced in during the early season (Apr and May) so the lines go next door and travel Endicott Arm to Dawes Glacier.

IMHO the best way to transit the fjord is on one of the small boat tours. Some cruise lines offer them some do not. If your cruise visits Juneau just before or after Juneau then the small boat tour will either begin or end there. Celebrity Cruise Line on one of its cruises uses the small boat on both the inbound and outbound transit.

Glacier Bay is a national park and is entered by permit only - for the next few years, Princess, HAL, and NCL have the majority of the permits. CCL has two permits that it uses on the very first and very last cruises of the season.

Both are beautiful in there own way, at Glacier your ship will get you pretty close to Marjorie glacier and then just sit there and spin around so you have ample time for oohing and awing. At Tracy Arm, the ship turns around farther away from Sawyer Glacier, we enjoy both very much, but I'm partial to Glacier Bay due to it's beauty.

We have gone to both , at the same time of year but years apart, this year we saw much less wildlife than last cruise a few years ago.

We went to Tracy Arm this year.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

As bonvoyagie stated be sure to watch the dates of the cruises to them. More and more people have stated that early in the season you do not get near tracy arm due to ice and can be a huge disappointment if you are not prepared for that. Each have their own beauty, Glacier Bay is (IMHO only) breathtaking, while tracy arm was stunning, either one on a cruise you cant go wrong! Good luck with the choice!!!!!:D

I am never going to claim one is "best" over the other. Each offers some fantastic scenery, and will be a unique day when you are there.

With Tracy Arm, however, budget for the add on ship tour for Tracy Arm. This is in the $200pp price range. I always recommend this tour as "necessary" and grossly superior to any cruise ship transit. You also have a good chance of limited/no access early season. Going after May, increases your chances.

We did Tracy Arm in May and it was pretty fabulous. We were able to go pretty far into Tracy Arm. My review and pictures are in my signature. Which ever one you chose, you'll have a fabulous time. Alaska will leave you breathless!

We went on the last cruise of the season with princess. We did tracy arm and could not make it within sight distance if the glacier due to ice. Fjord was still spectacular. Sonething to think about as i heard this happens early and late in the season. Do one now and book another future cruise for the other. Once you go on an Alaskan cruise you will want to go back asap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

Archived