Have you ever thought about skipping a cruise ?

I'm wondering if anyone else has thought about skipping a cruise because of gaining more weight?

It seems like no matter how much I try to say NO to certain foods on cruises, I can't get ahold of the problem. So with that in mind, many more lbs. come home with me. I don't think DH will like what I'm thinking, but I think maybe we (I) should cut back on cruising. It's a shame that I'm not able to control myself with eating, but again, I'm putting myself in the position for the temptation.

Anyone else out there feel that maybe you should stay away from the temptation of a cruise because of the food?

I can overeat at home too. One of the main reasons we cruise is because DH likes to. It gives him something to look forward to as he works such long hours and 6 days a week. I would be happy driving somewhere closer, but he doesn't like to drive long distances, preferring to fly. Hotels and meals out cost so much plus entertainment. Cruises are less expensive when you look at what it includes. I would suggest you develop an eating plan for the cruise. Decide what you will have for breakfast and where you will eat for lunch. If you overindulge in the morning, try room service . Try the dining room at lunch so you are not tempted to return for seconds at the buffet. Eat vegetable and fruit first to fill up and plenty of water. Walk a lot and take the stairs. You can have a good time without food being the focus. Plan your day around activities and not around meals. Just some suggestions if you feel that food is too much of a focus on a cruise.

I agree with the previous poster. Set limits for yourself and have DH hold you accountable. Avoid the buffet as much as possible. Don't eat after a certain time. Don't order a second entree. Limit desserts to only certain meals or even certain days. Limit the number of drinks each day and stick to mostly water. Always take the stairs and walk laps around the open decks. Just keep yourself focused on the vacation and not the food.

Send from iphone 5 using Cruise Critic App

Thanks for replying. I understand both your replies, and believe me I go in with full intensions. We do walk a lot while on our cruise, and I do try the first couple of days to have fruit for dessert, but somewhere along the line, a "just can't pass up" dessert comes along. Usually we cruise every three months. I don't know about anyone else, but it's so hard for me to get back on the track again, once we do get home. Then before you know it, it's time to go again. :(:mad:

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for replying. I understand both your replies, and believe me I go in with full intensions. We do walk a lot while on our cruise, and I do try the first couple of days to have fruit for dessert, but somewhere along the line, a "just can't pass up" dessert comes along. Usually we cruise every three months. I don't know about anyone else, but it's so hard for me to get back on the track again, once we do get home. Then before you know it, it's time to go again. :(:mad:

Oh gosh! I understand what you are saying but would never give up a cruise for that reason! I too try to be good on a cruise but always end up giving in...somewhat. I just try to pick and choose carefully. I try to think "is it worth it ?" Sometimes the answer is yes but sometimes no. On the last 2 cruises I skipped bread at dinner...all but 2 nights I think. The only bread I let myself have durung the day was a yummy bran muffin! Love the RC bran muffins! They are healthy...right! Lol I either skipped dessert or had the sugar-free or low-fat dessert and then only ate half of it. (except key lime pie night...I splurged full out and had the fully leaded key lime pie!) I let myself eat a little more on days we have done excursions and try to really watch it on day's that we just lounged around with limited physical activities.

However, for me eating has to be a lifestyle change. If I just had 10 lbs to lose then I could understand postponing until you reached a goal. But this is a life struggle for me. I have to pay attention to what I eat everyday for the rest of my life. So I try to be really, really good a few weeks before the cruise and tell myself the more I splurge on the cruise the more strict I have to be when we get home. The idea of giving up a cruise would depress me so much I surely would eat bad!!!

Good luck!

I have never cruised before but I do go to Las Vegas alot and it screws up all my hard work. Alot of times it is just temporary weight gain but it messes with my head and getting back on track is hard. But this is the real world and we can't live in a bubble. I have been losing the same weight over and over but I think where I would be if I did not keep trying.

Yes, I have done two cruises, a 14 day river cruise where I gained TWELVE pounds, and a seven day Alaskan cruise where I gained 5 pounds. I, too, find it very hard to not eat until I'm stuffed. I gain weight very easily and I take it off very hard. I know I'm not the only one gaining a ton of weight just by watching the amount of food being consumed around us in the buffet.

I do take it off, but it is a lot of work and I'm not sure a cruise is worth it.

Cruising works great for my husband as he has massive food allergies and having to deal with many restaurants while we travel is very hard. Much easier for him to go to the buffet, see what he can eat and eat the stuff he can until he is full. He eats a ton of food and doesn't gain anything. I mean, he ate literally ten scoops of icecream one day on our Alaska cruise and came back the same as he left.

He would like to do a two week cruise in Europe next summer but I am not sure I can deal with so much food around for two weeks. Still thinking about it.

Archived