Dedicated NCL Suite Cruisers Considering Grand Princess Grand Suite

marelind

While we haven't done a detailed spreadsheet, we have done a rough analysis of the costs of a cruise in a suite on Princess and all its additional costs vs the cost of an all-inclusive such as Regent with whom we have sailed. For us we have found that the cost would be very close to the same. This is of course dependent on what kind of shore excursions you take, the kind of air arrangements you normally make etc. As a matter of fact I have recently been comparing prices of a Princess cruise in either the Baltic or the British isles next summer for myself and our DD vs a Regent cruise of comparable length and ports. Frankly, I think for us the Regent cruise would cost less. Princess' prices are very high for next summer. JMHO

I have had exactly the same experience.

In my Regent comparisons they have been very close.

Mike:)

While we haven't done a detailed spreadsheet, we have done a rough analysis of the costs of a cruise in a suite on Princess and all its additional costs vs the cost of an all-inclusive such as Regent with whom we have sailed. For us we have found that the cost would be very close to the same. This is of course dependent on what kind of shore excursions you take, the kind of air arrangements you normally make etc. As a matter of fact I have recently been comparing prices of a Princess cruise in either the Baltic or the British isles next summer for myself and our DD vs a Regent cruise of comparable length and ports. Frankly, I think for us the Regent cruise would cost less. Princess' prices are very high for next summer. JMHO

Thank you both for that input. I thought that it might be close as I have started adding up the various costs for the level we like to travel. It adds a few more options to the mix.

I have to make a comment about the GS on the Grand Princess vs other GS's in the Princess fleet. This was stated above:

Quote "you will have a beautiful dining table for six in the GS (plus the two extra desk chairs) so you could dine by yourself or have a great dinner party in the cabin."

This is not true (sorry Compozer) on the Grand. The GS is basically almost half the size of those on the other ships. This being the Golden, Star, etc. You will have a very small table in the suite that at best can seat 4 people.

Also so you know, the balcony is totally covered and it does have what they call a "hot tub". This is basically a bathtub that you fill with water if you chose to use it. Very small and 2 people can use it, but that is it.

The Grand has two of these suites. One called the Grand and the other called the Princess Suite. They are identical cabins just on opposite sides of the Lido Deck. You will have a small hallway off the main hallway too. There are two other (I'm trying to remember if it is just 2 or 3) other cabins that will share this hallway with you. We had to make sure the last night to let the guys know that are dealing with the luggage that ours was ready to go. This hallway is separated from the regular one with a door.

This suite was nice and it was our first experience with the GS. That being said, I would rather have a PH suite on the Grand. It may be a bit smaller, but I like the balcony on the Caribe deck better and the cabin layout is fine also.

We did enjoy this suite, for the most part and it started us booking GS cabins when we can. Like was said, they now book up quickly and you have to jump fast to secure one. A few years ago you would see them available for some time, but not now.

Have a great cruise. I've wondered about the full suites on NCL and it was interesting to read what you had to say about them.

We were on a 7 day Easter week Caribbean voyage in April 2000. This was when the Grand was just two years old. Cabin L301, The Princess Suite, was occupied by the old time entertainer, Marty Allen and his very young wife. He was the celebrity guest entertainer. At that time Princess had this type of entertainment. We were told that Marty Allen was on the ship almost continuously from the first voyage.

Marty Allen, have been trying to think of his name. We were on the Grand the first year of its sailing and he was on then. Now we were on the Sun Princess the year before and they had no big name entertainment at all. I don't think a lot of people even knew who he was though. Guess I was old enough to know. I'm so glad you knew his name because I have been trying to think of it.

Archived