Cruise Care and Grandeur Fire

If the OP had to fly to the cruise did they not have to fly home. RCL flew us to Baltimore and people who had flights booked to get home should have been able to change their flights for a change fee. If that was the case the cruise line should have reimbursed the change fee. Sorry you are disappointed in your travel insurance.

Correct, but the OP sailed from a local port instead so didn't need the airfare for their new cruise. They also have no plans to fly within the next 12 months so they will lose the airfare, that is why they are looking for an alternative.
Maybe, it's just me, but if the cruise line was willing to pay the change fees, rather than just eating the ticket cost and getting nothing, I would be making plans to fly somewhere in the next 12 months. Even if it was only a weekend getaway.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Mark, I absolutly agree. RCI did offer to cover change fees for airlines. But the OP opted NOT to take that money and change flights to another cruise. So the OP, of course, did not get reimbursed for flights simply not taken or cancelled.

According to the OP RCI is refunding flights booked thru them, Celebrity is a different company and has different policies even though they are owned by RCCL.

My response was about Choice Air, and my understanding is Choice Air works the same way for both RCI and Celebrity. I apologize if I'm wrong.

My response was about Choice Air, and my understanding is Choice Air works the same way for both RCI and Celebrity. I apologize if I'm wrong.
I think it's RCI doing the refunds if you used Choice Air and not Choice Air. BTW, I don't know for sure and am only going on the information in the OP's original post

This is from their explanation of benefits brochure:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCICruiseCare.pdf

I would think the ship catching on fire would be a covered reason, lol

CruiseCare Travel Insurance Program

Underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company

Policy Number:

Description of Coverages

Maximum Benefit Amount

Part A. Travel Arrangement Protection

Trip Cancellation for Independently Booked Air.........Up To Total Original Airfare Cost

Trip Interruption for Independently Booked Air...Up To 150% of Total Original Airfare Cost

Trip Delay............................................................................................................. $500

Part B. Medical Protection

Emergency Evacuation .................................................................................. $25,000

Repatriation...................................................

............. $25,000

Accident Medical Expense ............................................................................. $10,000

Sickness Medical Expense ......................................

................... $10,000

Part C. Baggage Protection

Baggage and Personal Effects......................................................................... $1,500

Baggage Delay.................................................................................................... $500

The benefits provided in this program are subject to certain restrictions and exclusions, including the Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion. Please read this

brochure in its entirety for a complete description of all coverage terms and

conditions. Note: Words beginning with capital letters are defined in this text. In this

Description of Coverage, “you”, “your,” and “yours” refer to the Plan Participant and

“we”, “us,” and “our” refer to the company providing the coverage:

Part A. Travel Arrangement Protection

Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation For Independently Booked Air

We will pay a Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation Benefit, up to the amount in the

Schedule, if you are prevented from taking your Covered Cruise

Vacation due to your, an Immediate Family Member’s, Traveling Companion’s, or Business Partner’s Sickness, Injury, or death or Other Covered Events as defined, that occur(s) before departure on your Covered Cruise Vacation. The Sickness or Injury must: a) commence while your coverage is in effect under the plan; b) require the examination and treatment by a Physician at the time the Covered Cruise

Vacation

is canceled; and c) in the written opinion of the treating Physician, be so disabling

as to prevent you from taking your Covered Cruise Vacation.

Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation Benefits For Independently Booked Air

We will reimburse you, up to the amount in the Schedule for the amount of prepaid,

non-refundable, and unused Payments or Deposits

For the price that cruise care charges for their insurance that is a terrible policy. The low limits for payouts is the worst that I have seen. Now I'm all for insurance and don't travel without it but I would never recommend anyone purchasing a cruise care policy based on the amounts covered above.

However I thought that cruise care covered cancel for any reason. IF so then why would the flights not be covered?

The company that I purchase my policy would cover flights if the cruise was cancelled and I decided not to take another ship. It's a shame that people lose money for something out of their control when they bought insurance and believed that they would be covered.

The cruise line was very slow to refund money to people for the cruise that they paid for and some may not have had the money to simply book another ship or plan a land vacation to use their flights already purchased.

Archived