What to do at the top of Mt. Roberts

aksharp1

I've searched for this but cannot find an answer. What is there to do at the top of Mt. Roberts once you take the tram? We will be with an elderly person so lots of walking is not an option. Just didn't know what all you get for the $30 pp ticket to ride it. Are there shops or anything "touristy" to do up there? Thank you in advance!

Keep in mind that one of the primary attractions of the tram is the view from the top, and that view can be affected by the weather. If it is very cloudy or foggy, you can have a nice ride up but not see anything once you get there. Of course, you can still enjoy the restaurant, shop, and displays.

Keep in mind that one of the primary attractions of the tram is the view from the top, and that view can be affected by the weather. If it is very cloudy or foggy, you can have a nice ride up but not see anything once you get there. Of course, you can still enjoy the restaurant, shop, and displays.

I guess another good thing is that you can ride more than once.

Just did Mt Roberts on our Alaskan cruise in June - what a rip off - At the top they have a restaurant and a gift shop (lots of those at the bottom) - they do have a movie on Juneau and Alaskan wild life that was interesting but IMO not worth the cost of the tram ride. They also have an eagle in a small cage. So you pay all that money for a view out over your ship!

To me the much better deal was our trip to the Glacier Gardens cost $24. and they take you up to the 600' elevation point for a view out over Juneau (similar to the Mt Roberts view but a different angle) and all the way up the driver/guide talks about the plant life ...

We took the city bus to the Glacier Gardens cost $2 each way.

However we picked this to do as we have been to Mendenhall Glacier 3 times already - if you have not visited Mendenhall than that is a must and take the shuttle $8 each way. There are 2 shuttle bus companies so buy a 1 way ticket and then when you are ready to leave Mendenhall you just catch the next shuttle bus and buy your ticket. If you have a round trip ticket you have to wait for hte right shuttle bus to come along.

The price to ride Mt. Roberts Tram goes up almost each year. Our rule is that if you can't see the top from the bottom (before you buy your ticket) don't ride as you won't have a view.

The walking trails at the top of the Tram can be very wet and slippery.

Absolutely do not buy your tram tickets on your ship! Please! They never run out of tickets and the tram doesn't give refunds.

I will agree with the other posters about waiting to buy tickets, but it can be a cool thing to do. Whether it is worth it is a personal decision. We had a Toursaver BOGO coupon and good weather, so we enjoyed it

We visited Juneau last week, and it was a little cloudy in the morning, but the forecast was for clearing later in the day. We had a couple hours before our Harv and Marv's whale watch, so we used our Toursaver coupon to get our two tickets for a total of $31.

We took the tram up and hiked the circle trail, which is pretty cool. The views were obscured a little by the clouds:

9191312857_41d09eef60_c.jpg

9194077786_d365951271_c.jpg

But we really enjoyed the trail:

9194118784_c2c5c69ea2_c.jpg

9191329261_a0fdc93af3_c.jpg

After we were back from the whale watch, it had cleared as promised, so we went back up:

9191548697_e98105a68d_c.jpg

9194336156_22f316c98b_c.jpg

We probably would not have done it without the coupon, and if the OP's elderly companion will preclude anyone doing the trail (I agree, parts are narrow and slippery - in fact, there was one short stretch still covered in icy snow last week), I wouldn't think it would be worth it.

The above photos are outstanding and are in the top range of what you can see up there. Not everyone is so lucky but plenty of folks who buy tickets in advance on their cruise ships get nothing for the value of their money.

The above photos are outstanding and are in the top range of what you can see up there. Not everyone is so lucky but plenty of folks who buy tickets in advance on their cruise ships get nothing for the value of their money.

It is what it is. This is a temperate rain forest. All the advertisements for Alaska have great sunny days. Well, when we went on our first AK cruise, we had that. Shorts in port sunny days on land and sea. I didn't realize this was an annomoly, he stated how lucky we were and that basically sunshine is about 10%. I have been watching for the past month or so all 7 of Princess webcams of their AK ships. I really not noticed a bright sunny day and of course they are in all ports for the most part each day-overcast/very cloudy/rain for the most part. So, like doing many other once in a lifetime things, if it is something you want to do, do it. It isn't that costly and you can return again on the same day.

I will agree with the other posters about waiting to buy tickets, but it can be a cool thing to do. Whether it is worth it is a personal decision. We had a Toursaver BOGO coupon and good weather, so we enjoyed it

We visited Juneau last week, and it was a little cloudy in the morning, but the forecast was for clearing later in the day. We had a couple hours before our Harv and Marv's whale watch, so we used our Toursaver coupon to get our two tickets for a total of $31.

We took the tram up and hiked the circle trail, which is pretty cool. The views were obscured a little by the clouds:

After we were back from the whale watch, it had cleared as promised, so we went back up:

We probably would not have done it without the coupon, and if the OP's elderly companion will preclude anyone doing the trail (I agree, parts are narrow and slippery - in fact, there was one short stretch still covered in icy snow last week), I wouldn't think it would be worth it.

Beautiful pictures.

Thank you for sharing them.

We did the Tram several years ago -- at that time I think the price was around $18 -- then it was worth it.

But $30 for a person who can't do the long walks -- I wouldn't consider it.

We also waited and did not buy our tickets until we got to Juneau -- wanted to make certain that we had a clear day.

We leave on the 8th for our Alaskan cruise. Thank you all for the helpful advice and great pictures. We'll wait to buy tram and shuttle return tickets. Do you know if you can buy the coupon books in Alaska? It's too late to order online.

Thank you, again.

How did you get the coupon?

It's in the Alaska Toursaver book, which we purchased online back in the spring. The book costs $100, but it can pay for itself many times over depending on how you use it. The website lists which coupons are available each year, so look through that list and decide whether you would use enough to make it worthwhile. Remember that some tours and other activities have limited availability and/or restrictions on the use of coupons.

We leave on the 8th for our Alaskan cruise. Thank you all for the helpful advice and great pictures. We'll wait to buy tram and shuttle return tickets. Do you know if you can buy the coupon books in Alaska? It's too late to order online.

Thank you, again.

I don't know, since we ordered ours months ago. I have also heard about the Northern Lights coupon book, but I haven't seen a list of what offers they have.

It's in the Alaska Toursaver book, which we purchased online back in the spring. The book costs $100, but it can pay for itself many times over depending on how you use it. The website lists which coupons are available each year, so look through that list and decide whether you would use enough to make it worthwhile. Remember that some tours and other activities have limited availability and/or restrictions on the use of coupons.

I don't know, since we ordered ours months ago. I have also heard about the Northern Lights coupon book, but I haven't seen a list of what offers they have.

Just looked through your photo album. What great pictures! Where did you stay in Anchorage? Did you post a review? I would love to read it!

Just looked through your photo album. What great pictures! Where did you stay in Anchorage? Did you post a review? I would love to read it!

Thanks!

We stayed at the Comfort Inn & Suites Anchorage Airport. If you will have a car, I HIGHLY recommend it (it's about a 15-20 minute drive from downtown). Much less expensive than anything downtown, at least when I booked it with a military discount; huge nice rooms, and a nice complimentary breakfast. We heard no noise from the airport at all.

I am working on a blog review of the cruise, but it will take me a while to finish. So far I have the home page, the Anchorage page, and most of the Seward page complete. I am hoping to finish it in the next week or so. Here is a link if you'd like to see the "work in progress": SUMMER SOLSTICE in the LAST FRONTIER

Thanks!

We stayed at the Comfort Inn & Suites Anchorage Airport. If you will have a car, I HIGHLY recommend it (it's about a 15-20 minute drive from downtown). Much less expensive than anything downtown, at least when I booked it with a military discount; huge nice rooms, and a nice complimentary breakfast. We heard no noise from the airport at all.

I am working on a blog review of the cruise, but it will take me a while to finish. So far I have the home page, the Anchorage page, and most of the Seward page complete. I am hoping to finish it in the next week or so. Here is a link if you'd like to see the "work in progress": SUMMER SOLSTICE in the LAST FRONTIER

I had some trouble posting a comment. What I said was: Great details complemented with fantastic photos! Can't wait to read more.

I will bookmark your blog. You write well: an appropriate blend of details and illustrations!

We are staying in Anchorage for 2 days near the train depot. We're taking the Coastal Classic to Seward for 2 days before leaving on the Celebrity Millennium. Your blog is a great resource for us! Now we know how to get to Exit Glacier, how to get our luggage to the HI Express, and where to have dinner!

Keep writing!

Ann

I had some trouble posting a comment. What I said was: Great details complemented with fantastic photos! Can't wait to read more.

I will bookmark your blog. You write well: an appropriate blend of details and illustrations!

We are staying in Anchorage for 2 days near the train depot. We're taking the Coastal Classic to Seward for 2 days before leaving on the Celebrity Millennium. Your blog is a great resource for us! Now we know how to get to Exit Glacier, how to get our luggage to the HI Express, and where to have dinner!

Keep writing!

Ann

Not sure if you will have time to see this, but the Alaska railroad will tag your luggage to go straight to the HIE. Not sure if this is just for those that have booked the GoldStar service or not. That is what we had booked.

I didn't know about this service until we got to the train station. When they checked our luggage, they asked what hotel we were staying at and HIE is one of the few hotels that participates in this. The gentleman put baggage tags on our 7 bags with "HIE" on them and when we got to Seward, our bags were transported direct to the hotel while we went on a tour with Major Marine.

Also - if you are planning on doing something Friday morning, the HIE will transport your check-in bags direct to the ship for you for $2/bag. Worked out great for us as we were doing a tour at the SeaLife Center.

Have a great time on the Millie! We sure did! They had to drag me kicking and screaming off the ship!

Yes, with a four year old in tow we decided not to risk trekking over that icy patch and we turned around. The tickets were indeed a tad expensive but the views and the trails(the section that were passable) made up for it to some extent.

Archived