Prices for glass in Murano

M2ice

It is certainly acceptable to try.....and you might have some success with the higher priced items. In fact, about twenty years ago DW and I did a lot of bargaining in Venice when we purchases an antique Venetian Mask. On the other hand, if you are simply buying the lower cost masks (many of them are ceramic and not true Venetian masks) you will not save much money. Some merchants will agree to a small discount if you pay cash (Euros) instead of using a credit card. As to glass...just be very careful because there is now a lot of inferior glass being imported from eastern Europe and markets (illegally) as "Murano" glass.

Hank

It is certainly acceptable to try.....and you might have some success with the higher priced items. In fact, about twenty years ago DW and I did a lot of bargaining in Venice when we purchases an antique Venetian Mask. On the other hand, if you are simply buying the lower cost masks (many of them are ceramic and not true Venetian masks) you will not save much money. Some merchants will agree to a small discount if you pay cash (Euros) instead of using a credit card. As to glass...just be very careful because there is now a lot of inferior glass being imported from eastern Europe and markets (illegally) as "Murano" glass.

Hank

This. I wouldn't haggle with the shop owners like I would out in the open markets. If something says $300, don't offer $150. As Hank said, ask if you could get a small discount if you pay cash.

Absolutely do your due diligence on what you want to buy before you go. Research the different types/styles of Murano glass. Do you want vases, glasses, plates, art pieces, jewelry, beads? If you know some about the pieces, the store clerks/owners will many times open up to you. Most of the commodity item (you see the same thing EVERYWHERE) tourist shops are probably selling "Murano-style" glass, not the real deal. The Murano-style stuff made in the Czech Republic is very nice and usually good quality (I have some for my jewelry work), but it is not Murano glass!!

you will get a better deal in Venice than on the island of Murano itself. Reputable shops in Rome will even be better. The best discount we have received is having the VAT waived but getting a VAT certificate we could cash in at the airport anyhow but that was on a $400 piece. You definitely need to know your stuff or you might be buying something made in China

Things are very high on Murano. The demonstration we went to, the guy made a small horse and I wanted it, but he wouldn't sell it. In the shop, they wanted 100 EUR for one like it and I didn't want to pay that for it.

There was a nice shop on the Rialto Bridge where I purchased one for 50 EUR. It has a sticker on it that says Murano with the address of a glass company. Whether it is REALLY Murano, I have no absolute way of knowing. I purchased it in Venice for a price I was willing to pay. That's good enough for me.

My friend found some nice "Murano" bead necklaces in Rome at the Vatican. Now those we figure were probably from China. I think she paid 10 EUR each for those, but they were pretty and good souvenirs for friends. But alas, it wasn't to be, she left the bag in the taxi, so she lost her 50 EUR anyway.

I don't buy anything of real value when I travel. Jewelry and expensive vases, etc. will be purchased from a reputable store at home, where I can return it if something is wrong with it.

Archived