Waikiki Hotel Recommendation Before and After POA Cruise

Midnight Blue

I'm sailing the Pride of America on November 16 this year. My family is flying into Honolulu on November 15, and we'll need a hotel for that night. We'll get back to Honolulu on Saturday, November 23, but won't fly out until the evening of Sunday, November 24, so we'll need a hotel room on the back end of the cruise as well.

I'd like to stay very close to the International Marketplace -- one family member is 40% disabled (knees) making a long walk painful. I definitely don't need the least expensive room, but for such a short stay, I'd prefer to not be in the $400+/night category, either.

Any suggestions on hotels would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Several years ago we stayed at the Aqua Waikiki Wave. I have no idea of their rates today but we paid $115+ back then. The airport shuttle dropped us at their door (it made stops at several other hotels on the way) and the room was large and comfortable. No breakfast but they did have coffee in the lobby. And when we asked the desk clerk for a place for breakfast, he recommended a place about a block away that had a breakfast plate kind of what you'd get at our Dennys...very good and very reasonable.

We were a couple of blocks away from the beach and across from the walkway to the beach (between some buildings) was a huge market though I'm not sure if it's the one you mentioned specifically. I had a lei made and we bought some inexpensive souveniers and roamed around for a couple of hours without seeing everything!

We had checked-in kind of late and found a bottle of champagne on ice. I thought it couldn't be for us and we ignored it and hit the hay. The next morning when we asked our '20 questions' of the desk clerk (the shortest route to the beach, where to eat breakfast, shopping, shuttle to the ship, etc, etc) I mentioned the bottle of champagne and he acted surprised but said 'enjoy'. So after breakfast, our walk to the beach and our shopping, we bought a couple of pastries from a bakery next to the hotel and had it with the champagne before we checked out.

There was a shuttle available from the hotel to the ship (there was a charge but not so much it stuck with me!) and I couldn't help but wish we had another day to explore.

I didn't take the lei I had made in the market off for 2 days! They looked like orchids but it didn't cost much so I'm not sure. I loved it. I loved Hawaii. I want to go back! If I do, I would stay at the same hotel again.

We booked the Marriott through NCL to take advantage of the express check-in and luggage pick-up for embarkation. That seemed like a nice perk. We are doing the same thing you are thinking about, getting in one day early and leaving on the Sunday fiollowing the cruise. We will be sailing on August 17th... will update you on how it went when we get back. :)

We thoroughly enjoyed the Ilima on Nohonani Stree which is right in the middle of Waikiki. 10 minute walk to the beach and everything is handy. Great rates and amazing service. We have stayed there for a total of 5 weeks over our two trips to Hawaii.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The Outrigger Waikiki is right is on the beach and right across the street from the International Marketplace. Sounds perfect for your needs. Shop around for the best price.

The Ohana West is directly across the street from the International Market. I stayed there for 4 nights a few years ago.

This is by no means a high end hotel but it did the job and I paid under 80 re night. I guess it really depends on what you are looking for. The hotels on the other side of the marketplace on the beach side are generally nicer but also more expensive. The pluses are that they are on the beach, also near the marketplace and they are also closer to some of the higher end shopping.

If I were to do it again I would not choose a hotel based on proximity to the International Marketplace. Aside from a few art kiosks, I found that I could buy the same things in other places for about the same price. Honestly it was nothing special. But then again I am the type who really gets no pleasure from shopping. I tend to only go when I need something...so I get bored easily. I am ood for about 10 minutes and then want to go back to the pool or beach!

Post cruise we stayed at Hilton Hawaiian Village. There were 3 couples. We all left Sunday night but each of us on a different flight/airline. When checking in I asked for 1 room to be given us for a "day" price. Before 11 2 of the 3 couples moved all their luggage to the one room and we all shared the price. Then we were able to use the pool, go on an excursion, etc and still be able to change, shower, nap etc before the flight.

Prior to cruise we all stayed in different hotels, but DH and I stayed in Aston Waikiki--medium priced--great pool, across the street from the beach. Not near the market place. Not REALLY sure why you feel you need this. (I understood what you said about the disabled person.)

Good luck and enjoy!!

We have stayed at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani on 2 occasions. The hotel is nice and is in the $200 a night range. It has an open air reception area where there are often local vendors and they give hula lessons on certain afternoons. As best as I can remember it was very close to the International Market. Have a great trip.

As others have said, I can't think of a good reason to have to be near the IMP unless you want to buy cheap souvenirs mostly made in China or you want to eat at Hank's Haute Dogs. But, to each his own...

If you really want the hotel near the IMP, the Aqua Wave would be right there, a block behind. Use others' comments on the hotel for your recommendation. For me, the best thing about this hotel would be that is across the street from the Marukame Udon noodle house. Best dinners I've had in Waikiki.

To find the hotels nearest the IMP for you, hit TripAdvisor and pull up the Map View for hotels in Waikiki. Look for those hotels nearest Duke's Lane, which is the street the IMP is on between Kuhio and Kalakuau.

We are going on the POA a couple of weeks before you and are also spending one night in Waikiki before the cruise. After much research we settled on the Miramar at Waikiki. Its v close to IMP and a block from the beach. It's 3 stars and gets great reviews on Tripadvisor.

Not that it particularly matters, but here is why I've picked the International Market area to focus on for a hotel.

I want a place with lots of restaurants very near by (so the disabled family member doesn't have a long walk), I don't want to rent a car or have to deal with cabs, and I want stores nearby where I can pick up any odds and ends I forgot to pack. I don't have a lot of time or inclination to spend learning about all the different areas of Waikiki or greater Honolulu -- we aren't spending that much time in the city, so it isn't worth the research time. From what I've read, the International Market area meets those needs and it's a lot easier to ask "does anyone have hotel recommendations in the International Market area" than "does anyone have hotel recommendations in Waikiki near restaurants and shops where I don't need to rent a car or use a cab" which would almost certainly have drawn the response "you need to be more specific about the area". There may very well be other (even better) areas that would also meet my needs. If so, I'm certainly open to hearing about them.

Thanks to all who have provided recommendations -- it's been very helpful.

Honestly, any hotel on either Kuhio or Kalakuau between Lewers and Liliuokolani should be OK for you. K&K are the two main drags (Kalakuau being the Main drag) and Lewers and Liliuokolani make good end pieces. All your favorite chain restaurants are there on Kalakuau if you so desire. Less expensive restaurants (including the VERY inexpensive but fantastic Marukame) are one block back on Kuhio.

If you go to the Aqua Wakiki Wave site, you can hit on 'location' and see a map showing exactly where they are. It doesn't fill in all the blanks but it does give you some baring...or is it bearing?? I didn't know about the

'noodle house' for dinner but if-and-when we return and actually spend an evening there, we will give them a try.

I certainly don't mean to sound like a spokesperson for the AWW because I'm sure there are several hotels in the same vacinity that are both reasonable and comfortable. This just happens to be the one that fit that criteria for us.

If you go to the Aqua Wakiki Wave site, you can hit on 'location' and see a map showing exactly where they are. It doesn't fill in all the blanks but it does give you some baring...or is it bearing?? I didn't know about the

'noodle house' for dinner but if-and-when we return and actually spend an evening there, we will give them a try.

I certainly don't mean to sound like a spokesperson for the AWW because I'm sure there are several hotels in the same vacinity that are both reasonable and comfortable. This just happens to be the one that fit that criteria for us.

You can look up Marukame Udon on TripAdvisor - it's currently #4 of restaurants. I didn't find it from TA, but from recs of friends. Always a long line out the door, but it does go fast. Dang good food!!!!!

We stayed at the Aqua Wave, walk out the door and to the left and there is the Marketplace at the end of the building...probably less than 100 ft.. Hotel is on a street with many shops, stores, restaurants...even has restaurants attached to it. We found it very convenient for everything...Price was good too.

~L~

Archived