Update on our adventure

I just thought I would drop a little note so that all those who were so helpful in trying to find me a way to get from Southampton to Ireland would know that I did indeed make it here. In the end, we did take the train from Southampton to Bristol and flew to Cork.

For those who are interested in details, here they are. I ended up buying a train ticket for the 8:10 departure so that we would have a little more time at the airport side (flight departing at 12:25, train due in at 9:54). We did regular disembark from the Eclipse and asked for our luggage to be ready at the pier for 7 am. We got off at about 6:55 and everything was waiting for us. No wait at the pier at all. Waited for our booked car which did not arrive until 7:30 (booked for 7:15). This was nerve wracking but no trouble as the train station was quite close. No issues with picking up tickets from machine. I have a chip and pin card so this worked well. Train was delayed by 45 minutes. This was worrisome but we made it to the Bristol train station at 10:50 and arrived at the airport at around 11:10. Check in for the flight was easy and we made it to Dingle without any complications.

I want to thank all of you who made suggestions and gave input into the planning process. The delays were worrisome but with all the advice I had in my back pocket, I knew that we had built in some time for that.

Happy travels,

Dee

Hi, Dee,

I recall that you had a choice of trains to fit the window between disembarkation & Bristol airport.

And I also recall suggesting a later train, to broaden the window at the Southampton end in case of a delay in disembarkation.

Train delays of 5 to 10 minutes are the norm.

But 45 minutes is very unusual - and could've left me quite embarrassed :rolleyes:

Glad it worked out OK :)

JB :)

Archived