No show after final payment booked ES

roscoegirl

I think I understand how to handle this but just wanted other opinions. (and yes, there have been other threads similar to this and I searched but nothing found that matches my question) So, son and I are booked and paid up for and August cruise. I just found out son will need to participate in an orientation program for NavyJR ROTC which will be held the same week as our cruise. Number 1: I don't want him to miss out on this and Number 2: I don't really mind if he can't cruise. He also doesn't really care about missing the cruise. Now, I've paid everything and we are past final payment. I'm thinking I don't cancel him and just have the cabin to myself. I wanted to be sure that Carnival won't try to get me to cancel him, hold MY money for him for a future cruise that he most likely will not take...I just want to check in and son will be a 'no show'. Am I thinking this thru the right way?? I've already paid for two...it's just that only one of us will show up for the cruise. Anyone see any problem with this? Is there a better way to do this? Thanks...:)

If you are not concerned with the money, should not be a problem. Did you by chance have cancel for any reason travel insurance ?

If she cancels him then she has to pay 200%.. how would this help the OP? It has to be specific insurance that also covers the solo supplement on the remaining pax.

OP I was in this situation and PVP said whatever you do dont tell them to cancel 2nd pax.. when I got to the port.. I should have said she was parking the car. I told them as I was checking in.. their computer locked up and I held up the line for 30 minutes, she had to input all my check in info by hand again.

Dont say a word.. just check in...no one will say anything and you should not either. Dont say a word to anyone at Carnival... just check in as usual. You dont know if they ask about your son.

Afterwards his add on fees and taxes will be automatically refunded to the card that paid them.

If she cancels him then she has to pay 200%.. how would this help the OP? It has to be specific insurance that also covers the solo supplement on the remaining pax.

OP I was in this situation and PVP said whatever you do dont tell them to cancel 2nd pax.. when I got to the port.. I should have said she was parking the car. I told them as I was checking in.. their computer locked up and I held up the line for 30 minutes, she had to input all my check in info by hand again.

Dont say a word.. just check in...no one will say anything and you should not either. Dont say a word to anyone at Carnival... just check in as usual. You dont know if they ask about your son.

Afterwards his add on fees and taxes will be automatically refunded to the card that paid them.

I'm confused as to the difference between paying 200% and paying for the 2 pax she has already paid. I may be thinking about the too hard...lol

I vote you take me!!! :D

I don't understand why you just don't cx him and get the taxes and port charges refunded... at least that's some money back.

Because then she will be alone in the cabin and Carnival will charge her 200%.

As above if she does not cancel 2nd pax.. the add on fees and taxes will be automatically refunded if 2nd pax is no show.

Got it..I kept thinking but she already paid the pax rate x2..which would be 200%...but the 2nd pax funds would just be a loss for no show. so, then she would be charged again..am I saying this right?...LOL..let me stop

yes you got it right. She would be out the money she already paid and then then would charge her again for being solo. So she would be paying 3x for her cruise. Just being a no show is the best advice. Ooppss, my son missed the ship, oh well. LOL

I think I understand how to handle this but just wanted other opinions. (and yes, there have been other threads similar to this and I searched but nothing found that matches my question) So, son and I are booked and paid up for and August cruise. I just found out son will need to participate in an orientation program for NavyJR ROTC which will be held the same week as our cruise. Number 1: I don't want him to miss out on this and Number 2: I don't really mind if he can't cruise. He also doesn't really care about missing the cruise. Now, I've paid everything and we are past final payment. I'm thinking I don't cancel him and just have the cabin to myself. I wanted to be sure that Carnival won't try to get me to cancel him, hold MY money for him for a future cruise that he most likely will not take...I just want to check in and son will be a 'no show'. Am I thinking this thru the right way?? I've already paid for two...it's just that only one of us will show up for the cruise. Anyone see any problem with this? Is there a better way to do this? Thanks...:)

This is the only line that confuses me....what money are you referring to? The money you paid for him to cruise is lost and gone if past final payment I believe (someone knows this for sure). You're not getting a refund for him. Other than the taxes and port fees of course. Are those what you are referring to when you say Carnival holding your money for a future cruise??

sorry for the confusion Joshua61...You are correct...there would be no money for a hold because we are well into the penalty phase...Just do not think Carnival should charge me for a solo rate when I've already paid for two guests...one of which would not be able to cruise.

thanks.

sorry for the confusion Joshua61...You are correct...there would be no money for a hold because we are well into the penalty phase...Just do not think Carnival should charge me for a solo rate when I've already paid for two guests...one of which would not be able to cruise.

thanks.

OK, got it now! Absolutely, I agree...no need to pay more lol!!

Thank you all for your input...I will be ready for any craziness at the port...Carnival already has boarding fees for two!:)

When you check in just tell them someone else is bringing him to the port and then oops he missed the ship.

Make sure your son answers his cell phone when they call or change his boarding info and put your number. They will attempt to locate him and wait on his arrival if they determine he is in the area. In that case, I would answer the call and say "Something came up..."

Or, save all that trouble and have him call the day of embarkation and tell CCL that he won't be able to make it. It won't involve you and the ship can proceed as planned. Plus CCL will appreciate the transparency instead of waitng on a no-show.

Have fun! :)

When you check in just tell them someone else is bringing him to the port and then oops he missed the ship.

...and print out individual boarding passes. Use yours only and give them ANY reason that he'll be arriving later. Just don't OVER play it when you "realize" he's not aboard. ;)

Make sure your son answers his cell phone when they call or change his boarding info and put your number. They will attempt to locate him and wait on his arrival if they determine he is in the area. In that case, I would answer the call and say "Something came up..."

Or, save all that trouble and have him call the day of embarkation and tell CCL that he won't be able to make it. It won't involve you and the ship can proceed as planned. Plus CCL will appreciate the transparency instead of waitng on a no-show.

Have fun! :)

What she said...

I had this situation on my Dream cruise in January. My cousin and I were staying in the same room. She had to have back surgery the week before the cruise. When I checked in, they asked and I told them she had emergency surgery and wouldn't be sailing. I had no issues at all. She was refunded her port taxes and prepaid gratuities. I was NOT charged any extra money.

I had this situation on my Dream cruise in January. My cousin and I were staying in the same room. She had to have back surgery the week before the cruise. When I checked in, they asked and I told them she had emergency surgery and wouldn't be sailing. I had no issues at all. She was refunded her port taxes and prepaid gratuities. I was NOT charged any extra money.

Thanks! I'm hoping this will be the same in my case!! :)

Am I the only one that thinks this is ridiculous for Carnival to do? Wouldn't they prefer to know they got a free fare and no-show. Instead they cancel one, keep the money and charge the other double. One of the annoyances that make people dislike a cruise line (not that the others don't do this, but it's stupid when the double rate was already paid).

Archived