what to do in Key West

cruzinlisa

What would be your suggestions for someone with mobility issues on a one-day stop in Key West?

How far are the Conch Tour Train or Old Town Trolley stops from the ship? Is there transportation to these stops from the port?

Thank you for your help.

The Conch Tour Train and Old Town Trolley stops are in the Mallory Square area. What ship are coming in on???

Another thing for someone with mobility issues is renting an electric car. I personally have difficulty walking distances (need to stop and rest) so we always rent an electric car when we're in Key West. It gives us freedom to stop and see the things that we want to see and do in Key West

• 2 weeks later...

When I'm in Key West I like to rent a bike on the pier ($20 all day) and pedal wherever I feel like going for the day. I think it's the best way to see the island.

If you like history it's just a short distance to the Truman Little White House where President Truman spent 175 days of his presidency having wildest Hawaiian shirt contests and playing poker with the guys on his staff.

From there maybe pedal over to Fort Zachary Taylor ($2.50 admission) where you can combine a little history walking around the fort and all their canons then a visit to the beach. While the beach at Ft Zac is not as good as other beaches in Mainland Florida, it's a nice beach with plenty of picnic tables under shade trees just off the beach if you just want to sit in the shade and enjoy the view. They've got a good snack bar and grill there, too, if you get a little hungry or thirsty.

Or from the Little White House you could pedal about a half a mile down Whitehead Street to Earnest Hemingway's home. From there you can continue on down Whitehead Street to the Southern most point and have your picture taken in front of the buoy that's only 90 miles from Havana. From there you can zig-zag your way east over to Atlantic Blvd and White Street where there's a big pier you can pedal out onto and look for dolphins.

Head back north on White Street to Truman Ave (US 1), hang a left and go back to Whitehead Street, turn right, go back past the Key West Lighthouse and Hemingway's Home down to Fleming Street and get a picture underneath the sign designating Mile 0 of US 1. Continue on Whitehead Street and go past the courthouse to the Courthouse Grocery and Deli at the corner of Whitehead and Southard Street. There you can stop for a cold can of domestic beer for $1.86 (plus 14 cents tax). Once you're refreshed continue on to Ft Zachary Taylor or back to the ship.

IMG_2023.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

IMG_1964.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I live here in Key West if I can help!

In December I will be arriving on a Holland America ship, which I presume will dock at Mallory Dock? and want to get from there to a church on Thomas Street near to Olivia Street. I assume it is too far to walk from the pier. Can I reach it using a trolley tour? or do you know how much a taxi would cost? Thanks

In December I will be arriving on a Holland America ship, which I presume will dock at Mallory Dock? and want to get from there to a church on Thomas Street near to Olivia Street. I assume it is too far to walk from the pier. Can I reach it using a trolley tour? or do you know how much a taxi would cost? Thanks

It should only be about a 20 min walk. Are you going to St James?

If you don't want to walk I would just use a taxi and I would estimate the fare to be around $7. Far cheaper than the trolley.

And if you will be arriving on the Niew Amsterdam you will dock at the Outer Mole pier which is on Navy property but you will be transported to Front St. where you can easily walk up Whitehead to Olivia and turn right onto Thomas.

Mike:)

Edited by bhopal21

• 3 weeks later...

Take the Conch Train and get your bearings, then just wander around Old Town. Duval Street is pretty commercial but if you go a block over on either side, you will find the charming wooden houses, great restaurants (Louie's Backyard, Santiago's Bodega, Ricky's Blue Heaven, its a great food town). For history there is the Hemingway House and the Truman Little White House ~ both have great tours and the houses are pretty neat to see. It's a magical little town.

How close to the dock is a Conch Train stop? Is there a website that I could go to for a map of stops and more information.

We will be in port for one day and have a person in our party who uses a walker and can't walk any distance.

Thank you for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Will be on Serenade of the Seas 12/14/13 and dock at B near the Westin. How far is that from Mallory Sq or do they shuttle you there? Trying to decided to either do Hop on Hop off or just walk around. Thanks for help.

Will be on Serenade of the Seas 12/14/13 and dock at B near the Westin. How far is that from Mallory Sq or do they shuttle you there? Trying to decided to either do Hop on Hop off or just walk around. Thanks for help.

Pier B (The Westin Hotel) and Mallory Square adjoin each other so there is no need for a shuttle.

• 1 month later...

I have seen a couple of references to the "hop on/hop off." Can you tell me more about it- i.e. cost, where it goes, where you pick it up at? That might be something we would be interested in, if its like what i am thinking it is. We did a hop on/off bus in Jamaica with our DD and it was nice. We could get off at the stops we wanted, spend as much or little time as we liked and then get on another bus.

Also, sorry about the "just Florida" thing. Ha, ha. I guess since its technically part of Florida, I think of it as being Florida. Florida is amazing, but I never thought of it as exotic or caribbean. I have always wanted to go there as part of a land vacation, but its quite expensive. Hopefully I will love it.

Edited by cruzinlisa

Is your cruise stop in the morning? Blue Heaven is a restaurant that I hear serves a great breakfast. I ate there a few years ago for lunch, and it is outside under some nice big trees, and has chickens walking about! We thought it was very nice. I didn't have their Key Lime Pie, but, I hear that it is the "meringue" type pie, and is to die for! Hopefully someone else can pipe up with a bar/grill for you!

You know, I have no idea what time we are in port. I should probably start looking at that. Now that we are about 2 1/2 months out, I will probably start researching more. Because I am like that. Now DH, well he knows we are going on a cruise. I am not sure if he knows what the ports are. ;) He is just like that.

I have seen a couple of references to the "hop on/hop off." Can you tell me more about it- i.e. cost, where it goes, where you pick it up at? That might be something we would be interested in, if its like what i am thinking it is. We did a hop on/off bus in Jamaica with our DD and it was nice. We could get off at the stops we wanted, spend as much or little time as we liked and then get on another bus.

Key West has 2 trolley companies offering the hoho tours. They are Old Town and City View. Personally, I recommend City View because they have much better prices and more comfortable seats. Old Town does go further out into town, but in truth, it's for no other purpose than to visit a hotel that's has the same owner as Old Town. Here are the website to the 2 companies and you can decide for yourself:

http://www.cityviewtrolleys.com/keywest/

http://www.trolleytours.com/key-west/?gclid=CM2UvcjJ7rsCFTJo7AodPRIAww

Key West has 2 trolley companies offering the hoho tours. They are Old Town and City View. Personally, I recommend City View because they have much better prices and more comfortable seats. Old Town does go further out into town, but in truth, it's for no other purpose than to visit a hotel that's has the same owner as Old Town. Here are the website to the 2 companies and you can decide for yourself:

http://www.cityviewtrolleys.com/keywest/

http://www.trolleytours.com/key-west/?gclid=CM2UvcjJ7rsCFTJo7AodPRIAww

I am definitely saving THIS info to make some decisions. We are doing the Hop On/Off for sure. Thanks for the share!

I keep coming across things that say 'Southern Most Point' in my Key West research....anyone have any experience there? It just looks like a photo op to me. An opportunity to say you've been to the tip of the United States. Am I missing something!?!?!

I keep coming across things that say 'Southern Most Point' in my Key West research....anyone have any experience there? It just looks like a photo op to me. An opportunity to say you've been to the tip of the United States. Am I missing something!?!?!

Not missing a thing. Just a bollard marking the Southernmost Point in the USA and there are always crowds vieing for a photo.

It is just a large buoy and photo op. It is a nice place to have a picture done though. If you going to see the island it wouldn't hurt to stop and take one:) The line can be long at times but you have a wonderful view while you wait.:)