what to do in Key West

cruzinlisa

DH and I are taking a "kid free" cruise next year that stops in Key West and I am looking for some ideas of fun things to do. Something fun and low key, maybe a little bar/grill or somewhere fun to hang out for a while. I do not necessarily want to do a pub crawl (we will have the drink package on the ship and I am not that big of a drinker anyway), but somewhere to have a decent meal and a couple of drinks inexpensively would be good. Or if there is something that is a must do event, that would be okay as well. I have kind of hesitated to book cruises with a Key West stop, because it is kind of "just Florida" for me, but since we are not taking DD, it will be nice to have a stop where I can use my cell phone. This is a cruise we are not really doing for the ports (been to Coz a million times), but who knows, maybe I will change my mind about KW with some great ideas.

DH and I are taking a "kid free" cruise next year that stops in Key West and I am looking for some ideas of fun things to do. Something fun and low key, maybe a little bar/grill or somewhere fun to hang out for a while. I do not necessarily want to do a pub crawl (we will have the drink package on the ship and I am not that big of a drinker anyway), but somewhere to have a decent meal and a couple of drinks inexpensively would be good. Or if there is something that is a must do event, that would be okay as well. I have kind of hesitated to book cruises with a Key West stop, because it is kind of "just Florida" for me, but since we are not taking DD, it will be nice to have a stop where I can use my cell phone. This is a cruise we are not really doing for the ports (been to Coz a million times), but who knows, maybe I will change my mind about KW with some great ideas.

Is your cruise stop in the morning? Blue Heaven is a restaurant that I hear serves a great breakfast. I ate there a few years ago for lunch, and it is outside under some nice big trees, and has chickens walking about! We thought it was very nice. I didn't have their Key Lime Pie, but, I hear that it is the "meringue" type pie, and is to die for! Hopefully someone else can pipe up with a bar/grill for you!

Take the trolley ride that was nice and kids are free

Thus keeping to the theme of your "kid free" cruise...;)

Seriously, though... if you might consider snorkeling, the reef at Key West is fantastic. Just a thought...

Interesting! So golf carts are allowed on the roads? Do you perchance know where to rent them, and the cost?

They are not golf carts but rather 'GEM' cars and there will be several vendors meeting the ship when you arrive.

One of the most reliable is Tropical Rentals and they consistently get great reviews.

http://www.bellsouthpwp.net/t/r/troprent/

Mike:)

• 3 weeks later...
Key west is one of my favorite ports! We took the hop on hop off trolly your first, then went parasailing! We also walked and got lunch and stopped for a drink. Great place to just do your own thing

I agree. We love Key West. First time we went was on a cruise n now we can't stop going back. It's like being bin the carribean without leaving the states. So much to do but in no rush to do it. We now go back every year for a week vacation. Boat rentals are great n pub tours amazing. Just walk Duval street for hours of fun. If u r there for sunset u will c the most amazing sunset party every night of the year!

Key West is not "just Florida":D It is unique and different.

Make sure you walk the old waterfront - have a drink at Schooner Wharf while there.

Lots of bars will have live entertainers, walk Duval and take your pick.

For a diversion the Hemingway House or Truman Whitehouse offer nice tours.

I don't think of Key West as "just Florida." To me it is much more like the Caribbean. In fact I think of it as the northern capital of the Caribbean. Another thing, I think it has many of the advantages without some of the disadvantages.

Key West is not "just Florida":D It is unique and different.

Nope. We are the Conch Republic! :D

But jokes aside, you are totally right. Key West and the entire chain of Keys is nothing like mainland Florida and I say thank goodness!

I love just walking through town and enjoying the people and the architecture. We usually walk to the southernmost point and take the obligatory pic. This next trip I plan on running early in the morning and taking in the sights.

• 3 weeks later...
I love just walking through town and enjoying the people and the architecture. We usually walk to the southernmost point and take the obligatory pic. This next trip I plan on running early in the morning and taking in the sights.

Hey Dawnie, I am going to the Keys for the first time and you mentioned walking through town. If someone really wanted and talking *normal pace* is it possible to walk all of KW and doing your sight seeing/window shopping along the way???

Thanks

I agree with renting an electric car....it is the best way to get around. I would rent from Sunshine Scooters....they people are super friendly and they have great rates.

http://www.sunshinescootersinc.com/Home.aspx

Thinking of renting an electric car for Key West but wonder about parking. Is there parking on Duval Street and at Mallory Square? Is it paid parking or is there easy places to just pull over without an issue? I noticed on the website you linked it says they offer free parking which got me thinking. Also do they pick you up at the dock and do you return the car to the dock when you're done?

Thinking of renting an electric car for Key West but wonder about parking. Is there parking on Duval Street and at Mallory Square? Is it paid parking or is there easy places to just pull over without an issue? I noticed on the website you linked it says they offer free parking which got me thinking. Also do they pick you up at the dock and do you return the car to the dock when you're done?

A lot of people will say that they have a problem with parking their electric car but I can honestly say that we have rented an electric car on 4 different occasions to Key West and we have never had a problem with finding a place to park. There are a few pull-off locations along Duval Street and the other side streets. One spot that comes to mind that is always busy is in front of Margaritaville. Just pull off the side of the street.

When you arrive on your cruise ship just call them and tell them you are off the ship and they will pick you up. And when they say they will be there....they will be right there. And then when you are done for the day with your electric car you drop your off at their location (where the shuttle picked you up and you got your car) and then they will shuttle you back to the ship.

We are returning to Key West in December and again we are renting an electric car from Sunshine Scooters

Nope. We are the Conch Republic! :D

But jokes aside, you are totally right. Key West and the entire chain of Keys is nothing like mainland Florida and I say thank goodness!

Hey now! No Florida bashing, unless it is South Florida, also known as South New York (Conch Republic not included). North Florida is Old School Florida.

But I agree, I love going to Key West, and just getting off the ship and walking around is amazing. I love a Pain in the Ass at Sloppy Joe's to start the day.

I agree with renting an electric car....it is the best way to get around. I would rent from Sunshine Scooters....they people are super friendly and they have great rates.

http://www.sunshinescootersinc.com/Home.aspx

After researching online, and based on your glowing recommendation, I have reserved an electric car with sunshine scotters inc. I spoke to one of the owners yesterday and she was so lovely. Took the time to explain things to me and even offered some advice and recommendations. I also went to google maps to scan the street views to see where parking may be available and now see that its moreso on the side streets, and shouldn't be a problem. Also we'll be there on a Monday, in fairly low season, with no other ships at port, so there shouldn't be huge crowds also trying to get the limited parking. I'm super excited and by having an electric car I'll be able to see more of the area than I probably would have been able to do on my bum foot.

Edited by suzybeezy

After researching online, and based on your glowing recommendation, I have reserved an electric car with sunshine scotters inc. I spoke to one of the owners yesterday and she was so lovely. Took the time to explain things to me and even offered some advice and recommendations. I also went to google maps to scan the street views to see where parking may be available and now see that its moreso on the side streets, and shouldn't be a problem. Also we'll be there on a Monday, in fairly low season, with no other ships at port, so there shouldn't be huge crowds also trying to get the limited parking. I'm super excited and by having an electric car I'll be able to see more of the area than I probably would have been able to do on my bum foot.

That was Sherry that you spoke with....she owns Sunshine Scooters with her husband, Jon. She is super friendly and hopefully Tommy Lee will pick you up at the ship. He is so nice :) You will love having your electric car...enjoy your time in Key West

If you are interested in a bit of history, there is Fort Zachary Tailor and the Hemingway house. As everyone else has mentioned, the water front and duval street are not to be missed. Sunsets are amazing as well. We usually rent bikes as you do not have to worry about parking.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/forttaylor/

http://www.hemingwayhome.com/

What would be your suggestions for someone with mobility issues on a one-day stop in Key West?

How far are the Conch Tour Train or Old Town Trolley stops from the ship? Is there transportation to these stops from the port?

Thank you for your help.