Malaga to Granada (Alhambra) with Spain Day Tours?

peterm

Our ship will be in Malaga from 10.00am to 20.00pm and we would prefer a private tour over the ship's "cattle" tours. Did anybody use Spain Day Tours for this excursion and are they reliable to return on time back to the ship ?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

We did this tour last month , much better than ship tour- see my review on tripadvisor

Hi

Thank you - in the meantime I read your review (and others) on Tripadvisor. Everybody seems to be happy with this company.

Peter

• 2 months later...
Our ship will be in Malaga from 10.00am to 20.00pm and we would prefer a private tour over the ship's "cattle" tours. Did anybody use Spain Day Tours for this excursion and are they reliable to return on time back to the ship ?

Thank you.

Our itinerary didn't include a port call to Malaga, but we used Spain Day Tours for an equivalent situation going from our port in Cadiz to Seville. I recommend them highly.

Their normal day excursion lasts 7-9 hours, but we were in port only from

from 11:00 AM until 7:00 PM, and, of course, had to be on the ship even earlier. Spain Day Tours edited their typical tour so that we saw the highlights of Seville in depth and we were back on the ship with a comfortable margin.

You can approach this two ways: you can organize a group of four couples and go as a group to Spain Day Tours or you can sign up singly and hope that other cruisers on your ship do too. The first way immediately guarantees the trip; the second way your reservation is tentative until the minimum is met.

We paid in full before the excursion and day-of, the records were correct. We were not asked for additional money.

Bottom line: They're pleasant to deal with, professional, reliable, and deliver a worthwhile excursion.

Interested in doing the same Alhambra tour with Spain Day Tours too. Will be cruising on Seabourn the September 30 - October 10. How did you recruit other cruisers for Alhambra tour?

We visited the Alhambra with Spain Day Tours from the port of Motril in August. On our cruisecritic roll call I posted information about the potential tour and the fact that we needed a minimum of 10 people to guarantee the group tour, which was significantly less expensive than their private tour. We ended up with 2 large busloads of people (70, perhaps?). The tour was very good.

• 2 months later...

hello,

we just finished a transatlantic cruise that stoped in cartagena, malaga, cadiz, lisbon and tenerife, we were on the celebrity equinox nov 25th.

in all the ports, we did the tours with spaindaytours/topdaytours, and are extremely happy we did and recomend them 100%. here are the reasons i can give you:

1. we had small groups of 12 instead of the 50 of the ships tours, in most ports spainday had 4-6 groups and they kept the groups small, 10-12. they could have joined 2 groups together since we had buses of 26 persons and they kept their word and kept the groups small making the drive confortable and the tours much more personal. in some ports we had buses of 16, and in others buses of 26 or something like that.

in the cadiz to seville and the malaga to alhambra tour, we were 50 persons per bus but split into 3 small groups for the actual tours, again very confortable buses and personal tours.

2. the guides were very profesional and very knowledgable about the places we were visiting, they gave us a lot of history and current information. you could see they loved their job and wernt just working for tips.

3. they were very punctual, they were waiting for us as soon as we got off the ship, actually they arrived even before the arranged time because in a couple of ports, the ship arrived a little earlier and we were able to start our tours early and gained about 30 min because they were ready and waiting for us.

in all the ports, we were returned back to the ship with a safe margin. in all the ports,mthey would start the tour visiting the farthest place and then visit the closest places to the port the last to ensure we were returned on time. this became important in lisbon as a demonstration broke out in the city center near the port, our guide saw this and went around it and got us back on the ship safely on time. it was a peaceful demostration but did create traffic jams.

4. our time on the tours was spent visiting the important places, with some time for shopping in the various places, but the huge difference was that we were never taken to the tipical tourist trap stores where you are taken like cattle and left for 1 hr or so almost forcing you to buy something.

5. flexibility, our guide would ask us if we wanted time to shop or eat and how much time, so it was our desicion if we wanted to spend time shopping for souveniers or more time visiting places.

6. price, i compared the prices we paid with the ships tours and spaindaytours was about 40% cheaper.

i really liked our tours and wont hesitate to book with them in the future, they will be my firs choice.

dont be scared by the ship when they tell you they wont wait for private tours if they are not back in time, with spaindaytours you wont miss the ship and you will be glad you toured with them.

regarding malaga, it was my favouite tour, the alhambra was spectacular and all the explanations given by the guide and hiis willingness to answer any questions made it even more special. dont miss this place, its a must see.

hope this helps

lazaro

• 2 weeks later...

Flowrider,

Thanks for the information on tours in Spain. Can you tell me if the excursion from Cadiz to Seville is worth doing? It seems like 50% of the time on this tour is spent on the bus since Seville is about 90 minutes from Cadiz. Thanks for your help.

Terrapinfan2

Flowrider,

Thanks for the information on tours in Spain. Can you tell me if the excursion from Cadiz to Seville is worth doing? It seems like 50% of the time on this tour is spent on the bus since Seville is about 90 minutes from Cadiz. Thanks for your help.

Terrapinfan2

We will take the liberty of jumping in and say that Seville is a wonderful city (we have spent a few nights there and also taken the train from Cadiz when on cruises). Cadiz also has its charm....but Cadiz is no Seville.

Hank

Interested in doing the same Alhambra tour with Spain Day Tours too. Will be cruising on Seabourn the September 30 - October 10. How did you recruit other cruisers for Alhambra tour?

I am going to say here that if you have not sailed on Seaborne before I would imagine that they do a super job on tours just like Silverseas does...small groups each with their own tour guide etc. If you have done tours with them and not liked them then ignore this post. Enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

If you really want to see the Alhambra then go to Granada BUT, if you want to experience a fascinating / traditional Andalucian city full of history, stay in Malaga.

Malaga is, IMO, far more interesting than Granada - and it is such a shame that most cruise visitors don´t spend their day there. It is so pedestrian friendly (the cruise terminal is only a few minutes walk from the historic old city centre) with some of the friendliest locals in Europe. See the Gibralfaro Castle, Alcazaba (Citadel), stunning Cathedral, too many Museums to mention but the Picasso Museum should not be missed and the Glass + Crystal Museum or Automobile Museum always attract a lot of repeat visitors plus great shopping.

The city also has some of the best Tapas Bars in the whole of Spain - if you don´t try anywhere else don´t miss sampling a glass or three of local Malaga Wine (similar to Sherry and going from very Dry to very Sweet) at Antigua Casa La Guardia on the Avenida Alameda Principal - this is reputedly the oldest bar in Malaga where the wines are served straight from the cask and your running total is chalked up in front of you on the ancient wooden bar. Bar El Pimpi (lovely indoor Andalucian courtyard) on Calle Granada and El Jardin (Art Nouveau bar serving the best Tortilla anywhere) behind the Cathedral should also not be missed.

If you don´t want to walk an excellent HOHO bus runs from the Port gates BUT many of the most interesting streets and ginnels are inaccessible to traffic.

Edited by campolady

• 1 year later...

Cant' say enough about SpainDay tours -- found them for the day excursion to Alahambra as Princess was sold out -- weeks before we even sailed. SPain day tours (also Top Day Tours) was able to reserve a space for 2 just 2 days before our arrival. Allowed us to pay on the bus -- Once we were at the site we were in groups of 15 or so -- Great guides. Didn't need the lunch included as the tour stopped in town for shopping and lunch -- we got a quick pizza which was quite good. Tour bus was clean, included wifi as I recall. Guide on the bus gave us tourist information almost all the way to Grenada... he was awesome I would take these folks over the Princess or cruise tour in a minute. also we brought some Princess passengers back with us as their bus broke down!!! LOl!!!

well that worries me since we will be getting back to a cruise hmmmm

Tour companies generally allow plenty of time for the return journey.

Obviously you are safer booking your cruise ship excursion as they will generally wait for delayed passengers which they may not do if you have booked with a different company.

Edited by campolady

Tour companies generally allow plenty of time for the return journey.

Obviously you are safer booking your cruise ship excursion as they will generally wait for delayed passengers which they may not do if you have booked with a different company.

I understand that but a tour with 12 vs 50 is much more appealing to me :(

how far was the drive from Malaga to Ahlambra?

It was about 2 hours - or maybe a little longer.. The bus stopped both directons at a nice truck stop -- all the tour buses stop each way at the same location -- on the way there -- the food/snacks etc. are better than the return stop --

It was about 2 hours - or maybe a little longer.. The bus stopped both directons at a nice truck stop -- all the tour buses stop each way at the same location -- on the way there -- the food/snacks etc. are better than the return stop --[/quote

so did you get back to ship in plenty of time?

they also have a private tour for about 100 more euros each per person.. may think about it

well that worries me since we will be getting back to a cruise hmmmm

From what I have been reading from the comments of others - Spain Day Tours heads out earlier than the cruise ship tours do, and as such can easily head back sooner. The ship tour busses have to use the same route back and will be hitting the same traffic jams...

It was about 2 hours - or maybe a little longer.. The bus stopped both directons at a nice truck stop -- all the tour buses stop each way at the same location -- on the way there -- the food/snacks etc. are better than the return stop --[/quote

so did you get back to ship in plenty of time?

they also have a private tour for about 100 more euros each per person.. may think about it

We were back in plenty of time... I don't think you would gain anything by doing a private tour -- Our group was so small and there are so many groups there -- you just have to wait your turn to move around in and out of rooms.

All of the tour buses departed the ship port at the same time- they were all lined up together -- we saw the Princess buses at the truck stop on the way there and the way back.

I am looking into Spain Day tours as well, this AM I did get a quote for a private tour/transfer to Granada/Alhambra. It is still less then the group tour Seabourn has to offer. While you might meet some great people on tours, you might also get some that you would rather not spend the whole day with. Also you can hear better, see better, and move at your own pace. So when possible, sometimes touring alone is nice, especially when you are going somewhere that will be packed.

When are you traveling? I am in April.

I also contacted tours by locals-which I have always used in many other cities, they wanted about $800, just for comparison.

I am looking into Spain Day tours as well, this AM I did get a quote for a private tour/transfer to Granada/Alhambra. It is still less then the group tour Seabourn has to offer. While you might meet some great people on tours, you might also get some that you would rather not spend the whole day with. Also you can hear better, see better, and move at your own pace. So when possible, sometimes touring alone is nice, especially when you are going somewhere that will be packed.

I also contacted tours by locals-which I have always used in many other cities, they wanted about $800, just for comparison.

I agree totally and the private tour may not stop when all the big buses do... We are going over Xmas on Norwegian Epic

• 1 year later...

hi catskier,

I'm somewhat tech challenged, and I've wondered how to contact "locals" who are somehow certified as guides, but work as independent agents. How does one go about doing that?