Coffee Card - buy one to share?

sunluva7

You have no idea what kind of trouble you might stir up here.

As far as punches go, I don't see a problem but there are so many opinions on this forum, don't be surprised if someone else tells you no.

You've purchased 15 specialty coffees, it shouldn't matter who drinks them.

Now if you're talking sharing with your spouse the unlimited free brewed for the duration of the cruise of purchase, that's another story. I still believe it is OK however my cuts and bruises have not yet fully healed. I'm surprised I'm even posting.

Will one coffee card be accepted for both my husband and me, or do we need to purchase two? I think they'll just punch it twice, but I just want to be sure.
No problem with different people using the card for punches or one person ordering more than one beverage with punches. The question is whether you can share the card for complementary fresh brewed coffee, specialty teas or hot chocolate for the duration of the cruise. Although it would be reasonable to assume it us only for one person, there is no verbiage on the card or the Princess website regarding this issue. For the soda packages, the website states that the package is per person and only usable by one person with the sticker on their card.

Will one coffee card be accepted for both my husband and me, or do we need to purchase two? I think they'll just punch it twice, but I just want to be sure.

Much debate about this subject. For the specialty drinks that require a punch you can share with anybody you like. For the fresh brewed coffee many folks feel it's for the card holder and not something to share. Others feel that they are entitled to do whatever they like.

I bought my wife a coffee card on our last cruise. I had one of the specialty coffees but, other than that, I drank the regular coffee. She much prefers the fresh brewed coffee and used her card for that.

As mentioned, no problem with the punches. Purchase as many and for whomever you want.

Now the unlimited question.

We have ordered a pot of tea with two cups with no issues just by showing the one card. Have never tried multiple cups of coffee.

Punches can be shared as they are limited. When it comes to unlimited brewed coffee, the card is meant for the person it's purchased for. Same as the soda card (sticker.) It doesn't mean unlimited for whomever else you want to supply with coffee (or soda) any more than purchasing a dinner at a buffet restaurant and sharing multiple plates of food.

You may very well be able to get away with ordering brewed coffee for someone else with your coffee card. It comes down to personal responsibility.

we walk up both wife and i card in hand and they always gives us 2 coffes to go we also share the punches since there isnt a name on the card dont see what the problem would be. since really all the want to do is sell the fancy coffee drinks i have tipped at the end of the cruise as well the people who make the coffee .

My husband and I always get one card. Every morning he gets two fresh brewed coffees for us to enjoy in our cabin. Later in the day, I use it for specialty coffees. Never had a problem.

Suggest you get one card and see how it works. You can always get another if you need it.

The staff is there to make you happy, not nitpick.

I am not a coffee drinker so I haven't paid any attention to the coffee situation on board. My sister does drink coffee so she will probably want a coffee card. What is the difference between the regular free coffee, the fresh brewed coffee and the specialty coffees?

If you could tell by my question, I know nothing of coffee. Starbucks would go bankrupt if I was their only customer.

Just off the Diamond on a B2B. We purchased 2 cards but only took one with us while strolling around the ship. At the coffee bar they punched it for each coffee beverage and still provided pots of tea and brewed coffee when requested. In the dining rooms we enjoyed specialty coffee and again using one card they would punch two. This was the best deal. Enjoying a pot of tea or coffee after a port day was ideal.

I am totally new on coffee or wine card. What is coffee card?
There is no wine card. :( The free coffee served in the buffet, dining room and room service is made from concentrate which is fine for most passengers. But it's not fresh-brewed. Some people prefer fresh brewed. Princess offers a "coffee card" for $31 which gives you 15 punches for specialty coffee such as cappuccino and an unlimited number of cups of fresh-brewed coffee. The unlimited number of cups is for the person purchasing the card and is good only for the cruise you're on. The punches on the card are per cup and can be used on multiple cruises until all the punches are used. The debate on the brewed coffee heats up when someone thinks that just because it's unlimited, it can be used for other people as well and it isn't a big deal to do so.

New to Princess - first cruise on Ruby booked this fall, and have always sailed on smaller ships on other lines. Am anxious about the huge number of pax and lines at the venues and for port visits.

Question is - are the lines at the IC for specialty or brewed coffee long in the morning? And if the lines are huge, how bad is the coffee in MDR or buffet for breakfast?

Any help would be appreciated to ease my anxiety. I am determined to go into this with an open mind and try the Princess product.

The lines at the IC aren't huge. I've never gotten coffee there but I have been in the IC and seen perhaps 8-10 people at most who are quickly taken care of. The line always seemed to move and often, there was no line.

Princess does a really good job of having enough areas, both inside and outside, for passengers. I've rarely felt crowded on a Princess ship.

There is no wine card. :( The free coffee served in the buffet, dining room and room service is made from concentrate which is fine for most passengers. But it's not fresh-brewed. Some people prefer fresh brewed. Princess offers a "coffee card" for $31 which gives you 15 punches for specialty coffee such as cappuccino and an unlimited number of cups of fresh-brewed coffee. The unlimited number of cups is for the person purchasing the card and is good only for the cruise you're on. The punches on the card are per cup and can be used on multiple cruises until all the punches are used. The debate on the brewed coffee heats up when someone thinks that just because it's unlimited, it can be used for other people as well and it isn't a big deal to do so.
Pam, You could actually consider the Wine Bottle Package a "Wine Card". When you buy a 7, 10 or 12 bottle package, you get a card about the same size as a Coffee Card and the card is punched every time you get a bottle, just like when you get one of the 15 specialty coffees with the Coffee Card. Unfortunately, there is nothing similar to the unlimited fresh brewed coffee with the Wine Bottle Package :eek:

Thanks for your replies - I didn't mean to open a can of worms.;)

We did share the card last time and used it only for the specialty coffees - I didn't know if anything had changed in the last year. We have no problem with the syrupy stuff in the morning and after dinner.:)

I am totally new on coffee or wine card. What is coffee card?

Atlanta-778

At the International Café and some lounges:

Brewed coffee is $1.25/cup, most specialty coffees are $2.50-$2.75 for a regular size, espresso $1.75.

$33.35, including gratuity, buys a coffee card with fifteen punchouts for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the cafes and lounges that have brewed coffee. You can also use it in the dining rooms for brewed and specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punch outs remaining at the end of the cruise the card will carry over to the next cruise. The unlimited brewed coffee does not carry over.

We still have punches from our 2012 cruise, so we will be using that card in Oct.

For our Hawaii cruise, we each bought a card, as DH likes to wander around the ship drinking coffee while I am elsewhere. Toward the end of the cruise, we used up one card. We like latte's.

This was only for specialty drinks. If he wanted brewed coffee, he used his own card. I personally cannot drink the Lido/MDR coffee. :eek:

Pat

How would these work? I have 2 coffee cards left from 2010. One has 2 punches available and the other is unused.

The one with the 2 punches can still be used for speciality or brewed coffee. The card will be punched whichever you pick. The unused should be good for unlimited brewed plus the 15 speciality coffees. If it is the old type, I would see if it could be traded for the new one stating your sailing. You don't want to have them punch for brewed thinking it is an old one. Just my thoughts as to what I would do with the old one. I haven't seen the new ones yet, but the old ones had 'cards' on them and were thick paper.

Is the price for brewed $1.25 for any size cup? DH has a travel mug we take along for his morning coffee. They always fill it with no questions with the coffee card. But, this cruise is only 7 day and we have some punches left on old cards for specialty drinks. Trying to decide if it would be better to just buy the brewed coffee instead of purchasing a new card this time. Thanks.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Is the price for brewed $1.25 for any size cup? DH has a travel mug we take along for his morning coffee. They always fill it with no questions with the coffee card. But, this cruise is only 7 day and we have some punches left on old cards for specialty drinks. Trying to decide if it would be better to just buy the brewed coffee instead of purchasing a new card this time. Thanks.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think it was around 1.50 plus 15%. No sure if they have 2 sizes. I'm also not sure if they use your own cup w/o the coffee card. All depends how much he drinks. Also, depending on how many punches on the old cards, you can use them for the brewed and they will punch the card.

One more question ... As luck would have it, I just found a Princess "Jack of Java" card, which I got probably several cruises ago - with no punches yet. This can be used for specialty coffee punches - but not the brewed coffee, correct?

One more question ... As luck would have it, I just found a Princess "Jack of Java" card, which I got probably several cruises ago - with no punches yet. This can be used for specialty coffee punches - but not the brewed coffee, correct?

Maybe if it's completely unused they may allow you to trade it for one currently issued. I would give it a try. Otherwise, you can use old cards for either the specialty coffee or the brewed, however, they will punch the card for all types. I would surely see if they would trade it though since completely unused.

Archived