Iceland - questions answered

Hi, do you have any info on the June 10-17 Electrical Technician strike in Iceland? I'm currently on hold with Iceland Air, waiting to talk to someone there.

We are flying Denver to KEF on 6/11, then flying on to Copenhagen on 6/14, with our cruise leaving there on 6/17. We're trying to figure out what we should do, book something directly to Copenhagen and skip our trip to Iceland, or take our chances ....and potentially missing our cruise (we may make it TO Iceland, but what about leaving?). Any information you have, or suggestions you can offer would be appreciated.

Did you get an answer? None of the American carriers have issued an advisory or travel waivers for Iceland. Have they said what the strike will effect? Last year when Lufthansa had their strike it only effected certain flights out of Frankfurt. Some strikes don't effect any air travel. You may not know until the 10th if they will cancel your flight and Rebook you on something else.

Did you get an answer? None of the American carriers have issued an advisory or travel waivers for Iceland. Have they said what the strike will effect? Last year when Lufthansa had their strike it only effected certain flights out of Frankfurt. Some strikes don't effect any air travel. You may not know until the 10th if they will cancel your flight and Rebook you on something else.

Thank you for your comments. Iceland Air pretty much said just to hold tight and they'd let me know if our flights are canceled. :confused:

I hope you're right, and no flights are affected!

FYI, the article I found at Iceland Review Online is from today, as follows (my bolding):

"Members of Rafís, the union for electricians and electronics engineers in Iceland, are planning a six day strike as of midnight tomorrow unless new wage agreements can be reached with Business Iceland (SA), the confederation of Icelandic employers, before then.

“We are prepared to discuss a solution to our demands if our negotiation partner is prepared to do the same,” commented Rafís chair Kristján Þórður Snæbjarnarson on Morgunútgáfan, a RÚV radio program, this morning.

Talks were dismissed on Saturday. “There was little interest in further negotiations. There appears to be little understanding of what the situation is really like here in this country,” Kristján added.

The strike could be wide-reaching, affecting computer services, banking, telecommunication, as well as the operations of large-scale industries and airlines.

The live broadcast from the match between the Icelandic national team in men’s football and the Czech Republic in the Euro qualifiers on Friday may even have to be canceled.

Two other associations are also planning a six-day strike as of midnight tomorrow: Matvís, the union for those working in catering and the food industry, and VM, the Icelandic Union of Marine Engineers and Metal Technicians.

If all three unions will go ahead with the planned strikes, 6,000 industrial workers will be affected, resulting in restaurants closing, among other consequences, Vísir reports.

The wage dispute between BHM, the Association of Academics, and the Nurses’ Association and the Icelandic state remains unresolved."

Since this isn't an airline only strike, if your flight on the 11th isn't cancelled, my guess is your flight on the 14th will be ok. I can't guarantee that though. I would think they will know what will be effected on the 10th.

If the 1st flight cancels and they don't have any flights that go to Europe without stopping in Iceland, ask to be rebooked on another carrier to Copenhagen on whatever day you want to arrive instead of getting a refund or having them reschedule you to fly through Iceland on another day. Check their website and see who their partner carriers are so you have some ideas as to who they could switch you too. It also doesn't hurt to have a flight or 2 in mind. Make sure you mention that you must be in Copenhagen on the 14th because of a cruise.

If you make it to Iceland and and your flight on the 14th cancels, find out if it is only Iceland Air that is effected. There may be another carrier that is operating. I think KEF is the only international airport, but it never hurts to see if there are flights operating from somewhere else that you may be able to get to.

I work with the airlines a lot. When it comes to strikes they are usually more accommodating than any other time. Good luck!

We will be on an Eclipse sailing in May 2016 and will probably rent a car in Reykjavik for our overnight port call. Could I ask either/both of you to post whether you were able to park overnight at the Reykjavik pier? Thanks in advance.

I will let you know

Strike has been delayed until June 22!

As I posted in the other thread:

This is the latest in a series of threatened strikes in Iceland over the past month or so and every single one of them has gone the same way: Threat, Fright, Get close to Doomsday, Extend, Settle. Not one of the unions has actually struck. From my friends in Iceland I've been reading since this cycle started that this is how it always goes in Iceland.

Do you have reason to be nervous? Of course. Things could change and not go as planned. But should you be changing your plans? No, it will work out.

Strike has been delayed until June 22!

As I posted in the other thread:

Thank you, so VERY much. After a somewhat sleepless night, I googled again this morning and found an article about the three unions planning the strike, with a recent comment section. I read the comment which provided a link to a newer article from this morning at:

http://www.ruv.is/frett/aukinn-skilningur-samtaka-atvinnulifsins

and Google Translate reports this (my bolding):

"Níels Olgeirsson, form workers food, says SA have shown increased understanding the requirements of skilled workers and the strike has been suspended. Planned strike would start at midnight but has been postponed to June 23. <snip> "

WHEW! I am so relieved, but will continue watching the news. What a way to lead into a vacation, eh? Good grief!

Thank you again, to everyone on this forum, for your comments and patience.

HI there:) I am researching a 10 days circumnavigating Iceland cruise with Iceland Pro Cruises.

I have never heard of them - are they any good?

They have chartered the Ocean Diamond.

I think the itinerary is fascinating but is all the ports interesting with lots to see and do?

Day City Arrival Departure

1 Reykjavik 20:00

2 Stykkisholmur 09.00 18.00

3 Isafjördur 09.00 17.00

4 Siglufjördur 08.00 13.00

4 Akureyri 18.00

5 Akureyri 22.00

6 Flatey 06.00 16.00

7 Seydisfjördur 08.00 20.00

8 Höfn 06.00 20.00

9 Vestmannaeyjar (Westman Islands) 09.00 20.00

10 Reykjavik 08.00

Thank you in advance.

I don't know anything about the cruiseline (check here under "Other cruise lines"), but there is incredible natural beauty in every one of those ports.

With two days in Akureyri I suggest you rent a car and do some exploring on your own. The roads are all very well signed, it's hard to get lost.

I don't know anything about the cruiseline (check here under "Other cruise lines"), but there is incredible natural beauty in every one of those ports.

With two days in Akureyri I suggest you rent a car and do some exploring on your own. The roads are all very well signed, it's hard to get lost.

So is there anything particular not to be missed in these ports?

HI there:) I am researching a 10 days circumnavigating Iceland cruise with Iceland Pro Cruises.

Hi, I am looking at them for 2016 also. Windstar is offering close to the same trip this year and next also. Waiting to hear reviews on both before deciding.

I have a couple of questions I hope you guys can answer:

Where is the best place to get the famous Icelandic hot dogs in Reykjavik?

For those of you who have come via cruise and docked at the bigger cruise terminal (begins with an S), I heard that there were shuttles into town. How much are they? How often did they run? Where did they stop in the city?

I contacted the tourist board and found out about the shuttles. I thought I would post in case anyone else has the question. The shuttles are porvided by the port "The price is 800kr/ on way and 1600/kr return ticket. You can pay by cash , credit card or foreign currency.

The shuttle bus leaves every hour on the hour 10, 11, 12, 13... From Skarfabakki to Harpa (the concert hall in the city center) and then back every half an hour 10:15, 10:45, 11:15...

Here I send you the phone number: 585-0500"

Also, public bus #16 stops at Skarfagarðar at :19 and :49 after and will take you to Hlemmur, the main bus station. It is 400 ISK each way and you can get transfers.

Hi, I am looking at them for 2016 also. Windstar is offering close to the same trip this year and next also. Waiting to hear reviews on both before deciding.

The Iceland pro cruises (Ocean Diamond) looks like a very interesting in depth itinerary. i get a expedition feel from them.

I did see the Windstar itinerary. Aksjon Ponant cruises has 7 days cruise in Iceland.

Well, thank you so much for the very helpful and informative answer. I guess I could not have figured out that myself.

I thought this thread was called: " Iceland - Questions answered" and not "very unfriendly and unhelpful!!!!"

Noted.

No one else was answering you, I don't have details about all those ports, so I gave you a lifeline.

Next time I'll just ignore you.

• 1 month later...
We will be on an Eclipse sailing in May 2016 and will probably rent a car in Reykjavik for our overnight port call. Could I ask either/both of you to post whether you were able to park overnight at the Reykjavik pier? Thanks in advance.

There was plenty of free parking at Reykjavik port to leave our rental car overnight June30 to July 1 2015. It is right next to the pier so you can see the cars from the ship.

• 1 month later...

This is a great thread! Have just finished all 26 pages and have learnt heaps.

We will be in Iceland in August 2016 on Arcadia.

We will have overnight in Reykjavik, then Isafjordur, then Akureyri.

A bit torn between doing the Golden Circle or the South Coast, I am really interested in both areas, especially the Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss waterfalls.

What are peoples thoughts on doing both in one day?

Also trying to decide if driving or doing a tour is our best option. We will likely be a group of 6.

Our son recently went to Iceland and he highly recommends Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon, but I think I may have to rule it put completely as it appears to be about 4.5 hours one way from Reykjavik.

Any advice on a good place to see puffins?

Edited by Raison

We did the southern coast. It took the whole day. We went from Reykjavik to Vik, stopping at several waterfalls, a crashed airplane, the black sand beaches, and some ponies.

The drive down to Vik is fairly long. I don't think you can do both in one day. We chose the southern coast because I was getting the idea the Golden Circle was pretty crowded. I didn't want to be in a long line of tourists standing in line to see a waterfall.

There are supposedly puffins at Vik. We tried to see them but they hadn't quite gotten to Iceland yet (we were there end of May.)

I did both, but not in one day. We arrived in Iceland and drove almost to Hof seeing the waterfalls and Black Sand Beach. It was a full day. The next day, being more rested, we headed back, doing a boat tour at Jokulsarlon Lagoon, stopping at a glacier, and then doing the Golden Circle items before ending in Reykjavik that night. We really move and cover alot in a single day, more than most, but that is the most we could cover.

On our third day, we spent that in Rekjavik, where we took a cruise out of the harbor to see puffins and then went to the Blue Lagoon. The driving was easy as were the stops. Just make sure you know where you want to stop and have a map. There is basically only one road, the Ring Road, so you cannot get lost. We saw both waterfalls you mentioned. They are right off the main road, very visible. If you do not go as far as the Lagoon, you may be able to do both in one day, but the lagoon was striking as was the black sand beach near Vik.

Thanks for the replies. I think we could probably manage both in a day, depending on our arrival time. And assuming we want to spend that much time travelling. We are used to long day trips, but those we are travelling with may not be!

As much as I want to get to the Glacier Lagoon, I think this would be just too much, unless we decided to stay overnight. That also depends on our departure time the next day too.

Our cruise also stops in a few other places, I must see if there might be puffins to view in any of those ports in early August.

Love the planning!

Definitely puffins in the area around Vik in the first half of August. The lore is that they leave on August 15, but we saw them on the 16th 2 summers ago.

Let me know if you want specific info as to where we saw them.

I did both, but not in one day. We arrived in Iceland and drove almost to Hof seeing the waterfalls and Black Sand Beach. It was a full day. The next day, being more rested, we headed back, doing a boat tour at Jokulsarlon Lagoon, stopping at a glacier, and then doing the Golden Circle items before ending in Reykjavik that night. We really move and cover alot in a single day, more than most, but that is the most we could cover.

On our third day, we spent that in Rekjavik, where we took a cruise out of the harbor to see puffins and then went to the Blue Lagoon. The driving was easy as were the stops. Just make sure you know where you want to stop and have a map. There is basically only one road, the Ring Road, so you cannot get lost. We saw both waterfalls you mentioned. They are right off the main road, very visible. If you do not go as far as the Lagoon, you may be able to do both in one day, but the lagoon was striking as was the black sand beach near Vik.

I have the same question as Raison .. Trying to decide between the South Coast and the Golden Circle. I tend to want to avoid very crowded places.

As you visited both , which would you say was your favorite? Any comments on your preference in order to help decide between the two. I am torn.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the Jokusarlon lagoon was very exotic, something you cannot see locally. In my opinion, the waterfalls at Golden Circle were spectacular like Niagara Falls, but the rest of it was nice but not exciting. The craters were like Yellowstone. There were many people and bus tours on the Golden Circle but very few on the Ring Road to Vik. The Golden Circle had about 200-275 people at the stops where Vik had about 50.

We were there in late June and saw no puffins at Vik.

Definitely puffins in the area around Vik in the first half of August. The lore is that they leave on August 15, but we saw them on the 16th 2 summers ago.

Let me know if you want specific info as to where we saw them.

Yes please, I have read about the black sand beach called Dyrholaey being a possible place to see them (on road 218). Where did you see them?