Cape Liberty Cuise Port Parking

bmtpsu

First time I am not flying when going on a cruise.

I have read many posts on the difficulty and confusion getting around Newark NJ area when arriving at Cape Liberty cruise port. As I will be driving there the day of the cruise I would like to know how parking and getting your luggage to the terminal is handled ?? Are there shuttle buses that drive around parking area that take passengers and luggage to the terminal :confused:

It is set up that you drive up and unload your luggage and turn it over to a porter. Then you head to the parking lot. (It has changed since we parked there in 2008 so I am not sure exactly where you park). They did have a van that would pick you up and take you back to the terminal where you check in.

But, it was also within walking distance.

You pay as you park and it is $19 per day.

I hope this helps.

The parking is very close to the terminal. There are two sections to the parking lot, but only one entrance where you prepay. No worse than a large shopping mall. After you drop off the luggage, you make a left and another left between a row of buildings, pay to park and enter the lot. Go halfway through the lot, make a left toward an opening in the chain link fence, and cross the access road to the other side (there is a guy directing traffic who will get you across). The area closest to the terminal is all handicapped parking, but there is plenty of regular parking. This puts you on the same side as the terminal and IMO is a lot easier when you disembark.

• 1 month later...

We self-parked our mini-van at the Bayonne pier ("Cape Liberty") in June, 2012, before boarding the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda. Here are our tips:

TIP 1: Locate the pier BEFORE you need to go there. Our GPS had trouble, but we made a dry run the night before. :D [if you have cruised before, you will be under-whelmed with the size of this "terminal." It does wake up a little on cruise day, but it is still very small.]

TIP 2: Pull as close to the boat as you can (actually within a few feet of where you drop luggage). :) Drop luggage and all passengers except driver, and self-park where directed in lot. Short walk (1/4 mile) back to loading area. When driver returns, proceed as a group to check-in area.

TIP 3: DO NOT LET YOUR VEHICLE GET BOXED IN. :eek: On our return, we discovered that we had been virtually locked into our spot, with self-parked vehicles all around us. :confused: We finally inched -- and I do mean inched -- our way back and forth (including putting a blanket between our van and a car to back against it). It took 1 driver and three spotters over 30 minutes to perform this feat.

CONSIDER BACKING INTO YOUR SPOT, so you can exit forwards, and do everything you can to save yourself room around your vehicle.

I have used Premier Parking at least 4 or 5 times and have never had any trouble. I even accumulated 4 free days for our cruise in December. I know there was trouble with them when they first opened. But, I will not hesitate to use them until given a reason not to. That is my opinion only, but others may have a different view. I like to save money wherever I can, so I can use it on more cruises.

Gwen :)

Archived