Progresso (what a joke) Mexico

Alidabldo.....

I have been looking at this thread for sometime and have never commented on what you had to say about Progreso. Myself, I have never been to this port but am scheduled to visit in December. My guess is that you have not been cruising long. If you had you would know that at one time all Mexican ports were this way. Last year when I was researching Costa Maya (a fairly new port) some said, "don't go", just stay on the ship! If I had followed their advise we would have missed the best day of our cruise. We spent the whole day away from the pier shops (as was suggested) in Majahual. I guess the moral of the story is to each his own Alidabldo. Venture out and explore each port to it's fullest, do your research, and save the trinket and beer time for a brief stop on your way back to the ship.

Alidabldo. I guess I failed to mention that during my 8 day stay in Merida I spent one full day in Progreso. Had a really great dinner on the Malecon. Did spend time in the town. Beach was wide and very clean. People friendly even though I wasn't shopping. Bus only took 30 minutes. $3.00 RT. I don't know of any other port that offers so many major mayan ruins close enough. Even Uxmal can be done allowing a short visit to Merida. Dzibilchaltun ruins are only about 20 miles from Progreso. Also the all-inclusive resort Reef Yucatan is only about 25 miles with an attractive day rate. I'm waiting to learn if they had damage from Emily since I'm planning a couple of days there in Oct. I understand your disappointment with Progreso but there are so many choices with a little bit of research before going.

Happy sails.

kyminiah. Several Cruise Critic cruisers have been taking supplies to the very small school in Majahual. I had bght quite a few school supplies in 04 to take but had to cancel due to illness. Saved the supplies and took them to the CSI Orphanage and community outreach program on Roatan, Honduras as I had done before. People to people outreach makes the trips much more rewarding. We ended up with 5 large suitcases going to Roatan, from calculators to diapers, to vitamins and everything in between. The ship's stewards helped getting all that stuff to shore.

kyminiah. Several Cruise Critic cruisers have been taking supplies to the very small school in Majahual. I had bght quite a few school supplies in 04 to take but had to cancel due to illness. Saved the supplies and took them to the CSI Orphanage and community outreach program on Roatan, Honduras as I had done before. People to people outreach makes the trips much more rewarding. We ended up with 5 large suitcases going to Roatan, from calculators to diapers, to vitamins and everything in between.

It is so wonderful that people think of others even when it is not Christmas. I am sure they still talk about the day you arrived and how you have changed may lives. :)

My opinion:

I have never been to Progreso on a cruise but a couple of years ago I spent a week in the area (at the Reef Club - which BTW has a MUCH nicer beach than Progreso). I LOVE this area - so much to see and do - Merida is lovely, the ruins are amazing (Chichen Itza, Uxmal (my favorite Mayan ruin), Dzbilchaltun, the clouds of pink flamingos. Progreso itself neither impressed nor depressed me - it is basically an industrial port. BUT if you do stop here - get OFF the ship, and do something - go to Merida, go to a ruin, go to a nice beach. This area has SO MUCH to offer.

Ok, So I have read your opinion. Can you tell me the best route to take with this stop for 4 adults? It is part of our cruise and we want to know if there is anything to do here?

Just got off the Elation. Great ship, good people. However, I've had more fun across the border from Del Rio than in Progresso. If you like dishonest vendors such as Imex De Onyx (last store on the left going in from the ship, first store on the right coming from Progresso), inept port facility security, beggars on the beach, a ten to one ratio of street vendors to beach goers, and a van ride down a two mile pier that is a disaster waiting to happen, then by all means, enjoy. Cozumel was great as usual. Belize cave tubing with Reggie is highly recommended. But Progresso.... I wish I had read a thread like this before I booked and I would not have gone with Carnival. Stay away, far, far away.

I want to know what warrents my money and time in this port of call?

Just got off the Elation. Great ship, good people. However, I've had more fun across the border from Del Rio than in Progresso. If you like dishonest vendors such as Imex De Onyx (last store on the left going in from the ship, first store on the right coming from Progresso), inept port facility security, beggars on the beach, a ten to one ratio of street vendors to beach goers, and a van ride down a two mile pier that is a disaster waiting to happen, then by all means, enjoy. Cozumel was great as usual. Belize cave tubing with Reggie is highly recommended. But Progresso.... I wish I had read a thread like this before I booked and I would not have gone with Carnival. Stay away, far, far away.

Question for posters from So Texas. This is a bit off topic but I was wondering if Americans are still visiting Nueva Laredo in the numbers they used to. So many news storys about NL and other "border" towns. I was there a couple of times many yrs ago. I didn't feel unsafe at that time but sounds like things have changed.

• 2 weeks later...

The US Ambassador to Mexico said, "Some have said that I ordered the shutdown to punish the Mexican Government for its failure to control the violence in the region. And in a sense that's true." This was the "umpire approach" for not curtailing the unseemly activity in Nuevo Laredo. Carnival, if you are lucky, will take the same approach with Progresso. Almost two months later and I have come upon an idea.....I'll take my bulldozer and wheel loader to Nuevo Laredo, place sand along the south shore of the Rio Grande, south of the International Bridge and I will have: A) a location much like Progresso but with a much safer bridge (pier), B) a much nicer beach than Progresso with a beach called, "The Dos Equis" beach which will serve $1.00 beers, and C) a better place to snorkel/scuba than Progresso. Donations may be sent to: "dredge the Rio Grande to Nuevo Laredo so Carnival can dump me onto this worthless place .com. " Ya'll have a great week.

Progreso... what can I say? It looks up to being Tijuana. What a nightmare. Actually, compared to Merida, Progreso isn't half bad.

My Mom took two kids to the Mayan ruins, and they loved it. They had lunch in Progreso and liked that, too. So- that is the one and only option. Everyone on board had the same thing to say- BAD PLACE TO GO. I took a "tour" (sketchy bus) into Merida- what can I say... if you like tiny sidewalks with tons of people on them, and foul water waiting for you if you get pushed off the sidewalk, dark uninviting places to buy things or eat, with no doors or windows, heat, filth- this is the place for you.

Let me say that I have been to Mexico and the Caribbean before, including Roatan in April. I also lived in Greece for a year and saw much poverty there. I am not exactly horrified by poverty to say the least. I loved Belize, and on the way to cave tubing we saw people in quite dire circumstances. What I object to is Progreso as a cruise ship port. We are supposed to be on vacation, not putting in time with Amnesty International. Whereas Roatan and Belize offer many options- snorkeling, etc- Progreso offers essentially one: Mayan ruins.

God, what a hellhole! Stay on the ship! Thei "pier"? Are you kidding me? How about a seaside industrial wasteland! Grim. Just absolutely GRIM.

Mayan ruins can be accessed quite easily from Cozumel. Give us an extra day there and drop the farce that is Progreso.

By the way, Shannonsgroove- the Elation was GREAT. We had the best time and I cruise a lot. Great time, great crew, cozumel was fantastic and I really loved Belize. Galveston is difficult. Progreso- Mayan ruins or stay on board.

Carlena. Hope you don't mind my asking, but where can I find a report from Amnesty International on the state of Yucatan. I would very much like to read it.

I agree the sidewalks are surely narrow compared to what we are used to unless you venture to the Paseo Montejo which is a very broad, upscale European styled boulevard with very wide sidewalks.

Your comment about Merida being dirty was quite a shock. I've always found it very clean and so safe that most of the police don't even carry sidearms. I do think some people equate very old bldgs and cities as being dirty simply because of age. Many of the buildings were built in the 15 & 1600s. I've never seen the streets dirty or the plazas and a total absence of graffiti. I was first in Merida on two port calls and was so impressed I returned for 8 days. Returning in two months for two full weeks. YIPEE! ! ! Will be visiting Merida, a very small rural village, Campeche and a couple of days at an all-inclusive near Progreso.

And yes the sidewalks in Merida can be crowded at times. It's a busy and vibrant city being the state capitol and home to four universitys. And yes, Mexico can be very hot. That's a given as we travel south.

Filth? Gee that would be a real disappointment if that is what I find. I'll report back for sure. LOve Roatan. Many Cruise Critic cruisers support an orphanage there with supplies for those kids and a community outreach program. We took 5 large suitcases of supplies in Feb. Beautiful island. LOved Costa Rica too. Panama? Still trying to decide although I enjoyed the one stop there.

Question for posters from So Texas. This is a bit off topic but I was wondering if Americans are still visiting Nueva Laredo in the numbers they used to. So many news storys about NL and other "border" towns. I was there a couple of times many yrs ago. I didn't feel unsafe at that time but sounds like things have changed.

We are not visting Nueva Laredo and I understand that people that live in Laredo are not crossing over to Nueva. If they need something, they have the Mexican that cross over daily buy them their items. We have shopped many times in Nueva (at one time my husband lived in Laredo) but not any more. It is to dangerous...

Maggie. Thanks for the feedback. You truely live in a very beautiful city. I was there to adjust insurance claims right after Hurricane Celia many yrs ago. The people there were fantastic. As the newspaper masthead said at the time "Sparkling City By The Sea". So true.

Maggie. Thanks for the feedback. You truely live in a very beautiful city. I was there to adjust insurance claims right after Hurricane Celia many yrs ago. The people there were fantastic. As the newspaper masthead said at the time "Sparkling City By The Sea". So true.

Thanks...we are in the insurance business also. My son and daughter are both agents, my husband is an auto estimator and I answer phones in my daughters business.

Corpus is really a very pretty town...sometimes we forget how pretty it is until someone reminds us...thanks!

Hey everyone:

Here's our 2 cents. My wife and I have stopped at Progreso on cruises. We don't work for any travel-related business whatsover. Here's why we like Progreso:

- Progreso is the only convenient cruising gateway to Merida. And Merida is a VERY cool city.

- They have a fairly nice beach where you can sit, soak up the sun, and drink a cold Tecate beer for 60 cents. (You read that right Amigos....or more precisely 7 pesos!)

- They have some wonderful seafood restaurants if you want to eat lunch ashore.

- If you decide to do a little shopping in Progreso they have good deals on some souvenirs, T-shirts, etc.

- For us the only drawback is the lack of scuba diving (or even decent snorkeling). But the "positives" more than make up for that.......we think!!!

We're going on 2 more cruises in Dec with stops at Progreso....and we can't wait!!!

Hey everyone:

Here's our 2 cents. My wife and I have stopped at Progreso on cruises. We don't work for any travel-related business whatsover. Here's why we like Progreso:

- Progreso is the only convenient cruising gateway to Merida. And Merida is a VERY cool city.

- They have a fairly nice beach where you can sit, soak up the sun, and drink a cold Tecate beer for 60 cents. (You read that right Amigos....or more precisely 7 pesos!)

- They have some wonderful seafood restaurants if you want to eat lunch ashore.

- If you decide to do a little shopping in Progreso they have good deals on some souvenirs, T-shirts, etc.

- For us the only drawback is the lack of scuba diving (or even decent snorkeling). But the "positives" more than make up for that.......we think!!!

We're going on 2 more cruises in Dec with stops at Progreso....and we can't wait!!!

...They have a fairly nice beach where you can sit, soak up the sun, and drink a cold Tecate beer for 60 cents. (You read that right Amigos....or more precisely 7 pesos!)

Where can you get these 60 cent Tecate beers you speak of?

• 3 weeks later...

Well when I was in Progresso, we went to the local shops and just explored for the whole day. I thought it was fun hagelling with the locals, and bought most all our souveneirs in this port.

If you drink enough $1 Coronas you will enjoy Progresso. Where else in the whole world can you get 3 Mexicans to serinade you and your wife for half an hour while drinking $1 cold Coronas looking at the beach?

Relax a little!!

Archived