Progresso (what a joke) Mexico

Just got back from Del Rio....and I was correct. I had more fun there than in Progresso. Same trinkets in the stores, better vendors, better food and better atmosphere even. I'm cruising Hawaii and then coming back for another cruise south. I won't consider anything that comes within a cannon shot of Progresso. It's not worth the powder.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the other Carla that posted. We spent an hour there and left. It literally smelled like sewage. It was a very sad place. To the person, that mentioned the Coronas...yep, that would be the highlight. I didn't drink, though and couldn't tolerate the place. Sorry to offend those that love Progresso...but I just don't see what you see. This was our one and only port of call. I was told by Carnival that we were going to Grand Cayman up until we started loading the ship. For those that are having to go, please try and plan an excursion out of the town. Do some online research. Carnival only offered us 5 excursions while on the ship...and I'm not going to pay $150 dollars to spend 5 hours in a tour bus to go see some ruins.

Not everyone is interested in the same things when visiting foreign countries. This stop is not at all like visiting the over crowded, over touristed and over Americanized ports such as Cancun, Cozumel or Playa del Carmen. There won't be 8 cruise ships in port at the same time. There is no Carlos and Charlies or Diamonds International. Thank goodness. There are more Mayan ruins that are easily accessed than anyother port call. There is an all-inclusive resort (Reef) just 30 miles away with transportation provided for day passes. I spent two days at the resort early this week. Two connected large pools, tennis courts, massage, etc. I think the hour & 20 minute hot stone massage was $80. Bloody Marys and Pina Coladas were excellent. The Uxmal ruins can be visited on a port call and is actually prettier and maybe more impressive than Chichen Itza. Of course there is one Mayan ruin just 15 miles from Progreso and some have visited it and gone on to visit Merida. Bus service to and from Merida is very good and reliable. Seems they run every 12-15 minutes. As low as $3.00 round trip.

In an earlier post, in a response to someone that commented that they found Merida as dirty, I promised to report back on my findings. It could not have been any more different from that poster. As usual, I found Merida extremely clean and of course very safe. There isn't even graffiti. Even the mornings following the street fairs, lasting very late, the streets are spotless. For what it's worth, I found Campeche to be the same. Very clean. These are five hundred year old cities and maybe some people relate antiquities to being dirty. Not the case at all. BTW. Had some great food all over the State of Yucatan.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I both enjoy Progreso. We like to stop there for a walk on the beach, and an inexpensive cold Mexican beer (or two). Then we take the local taxi to tour Merida, a very old and wonderful city. Then we pick up a few souvenirs before boarding the ship. I have found the locals there to be honest and friendly.

I also consider myself to also be "well-traveled and well-educated guy". But I strongly disagree with the previous posting and the gentleman from Tennessee.

IMHO I find Progreso to be a very enjoyable port of call.

Hola Carib,

Clackey here. We also enjoy Progreso and I guess that it is a good thing since Carnival has changed our itenerary from Calica to Progreso. This makes 3 years in a row. Oh well, like I've said before, "I can have fun at a funeral."

I am well educated and well travelled; I enjoyed Progresso. We went into Merida, but that was a disaster. It was NOT dirty and had a beautiful square. Our problem was lack of a plan once we got there and my Spanish not being up to par.

Maybe the fact that I am well travelled is why I enjoyed Progresso. I am tired of the Diamonds International, C&C, Senor Frogs, etc. that you see in every port! It was nice to visit an area that was not yet a tourist trap!! Beach vendors are everywhere, but the vendor are like human gnats in Coz! So if you want to shop and sit around looking for any and all things touristy, then there is very little in Progresso for you. If you do not want to see a Hard Rock Cafe, then this place will be fine for spending a day! In fact, I am dissapointed that Carnival dropped it as a port from the Glory.

You take the good with the bad everywhere. Be open to new experiences! Once you learn that you tend to have a better time.

• 4 weeks later...

I am curious as to what Alildablo and the Carlas look for when they visit a foreign country/culture. There are many choices when visiting the Yucatan but like visiting any other country, research certainly improves your chances of enjoying that country.

I am curious as to what Alildablo and the Carlas look for when they visit a foreign country/culture. There are many choices when visiting the Yucatan but like visiting any other country, research certainly improves your chances of enjoying that country.

If you are referring to me let me say that not only did I spend six months in Guatemala but I have also traveled to South America and spent a total of 6 weeks in Greece, 99% of it in two rural areas. I look for different things in different countries. When I am on a cruise ship vacation, paritcularly when I have four kids with me, I look for something relatively user friendly and cushy. I have enjoyed cave tubing and canopy tours and Mayan ruins, but Progreso was IMHO sketchy and Not Worth It.

Thank you for the tip on researching other countries. That's a given, wouldn't you say? Why are you trolling around giving "Carlas" helpful advice?

Carla, as for giving advice, I think we're both guilty.

If nothing else, our disagreement may inspire others to research their ports of call, and thus we have provided a service.

I would like to have the opportunity to send you the info and pics I've shared with at least 60-70 people over the last couple of years. As I've said there are many options when visiting Progreso. It's free and I've enjoyed showing some folks the real Mexico and the activities available and hearing back their impressions. As I've said, not everyone looks for the same thing when traveling and that's not a bad thing. My suggestion to research was not directed and anyone specifically.

You and I surely had differing impressions.

hdawson228@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...

I was nice. Alright Dawson, save me the trouble. Tell me where "you" like to go (other than nasty, long pier accident waiting to happen, worthless, shouldn't be a cruise stop, border towns make it look like a flea market, waste of my precious time Progesso/Merida) and I'll make certain those places are crossed off of my list. You can sell it to some unwitting souls, but "been there, wish I hadn't done that". I do agree with you on one count....this has been at the top of the page long enough for people to "search" and hopefully some will come to the understanding that this is a place to BYPASS. Spend your money on good things and go someplace else. I'll check in on ya'll later, I'm off on a short voyage.

I was very dissappointed in Progresso and now that my itinerary has changed from Calica to Progresso and dissappointed again. What all the seasoned travellers wanting to explore other cultures forget is that some of us want a vacation away from poverty, pushy vendors, and sewage small. We want to swim and snorkel in beautiful clear Carribean water and experience beautiful white sandy beaches! We don't all want to treak through the jungle looking at old ruins in the middle of the summer.

Okiegirl. My humble suggestion is to book cruises (or land vacations) only at the Caribbean beach ports/resorts. Not stopping in the Gulf of Mexico. As I've said, research helps alot anytime and you are doing just that. Of course, severe weather conditions can and do create a need for being flexible. The day I arrived in Merida, Oct 20th, there were literally thousands of tourist evacuees from the Cancun area looking for hotel rooms. Kudos to the Hotel Gran for holding my reservation since there were probably a dozen evacuees at the desk begging for my room. You might consider a day pass to the all-inclusive Reef Yucatan. Very reasonable with transportation.

dawson- could you please tell me more about reef yucatan? I was very careful about selecting my upcoming cruise - going to Calica and Cozumel - both ports with beautiful beaches - then I found out today that Progresso is being substituted for Calica - which is obviously very disappointing - unfortunately its too late to book another ship as we booked awhile back when the cruises were cheaper. But back to the point (As I tend to ramble). We really need somewhere we can go with 2 kids - 5 and 8 - we can't take them to Corona beach - I don't want my 8 yr old around a bunch of drunk teenagers - (on the other hand SINGLE GUYS LISTEN UP - plenty of bikini tops came off on our last visit there)

and honeslty the kids could care less about ruins and I dont want to deal with a cranky bored 5 yr old on a long tour bus. SO PLEASE ANY ADVISE OR ALTERNATIVES WOULD BE HELPFUL!!!! THANKS

okiegirl. Here is the website for Reef Yucatan, about 30 miles from Progreso, near Telchac Puorto.

http://www.reefyucatan.com/

I spent two nights there in late October. Very pretty. I have quite a few pics. There were day pass guests there one day from an NCL ship that said they paid $25 at the Progreso pier with transportation. Food and drinks included. Hope this helps.

Okiegirl. The Reef Yucatan is only one option of many when stopping at Progreso. I just remembered, Merida has a small zoo if you think the kids would be interested.

It's funny. If you are from Oklahoma, I just sent tons of pics and information to another couple in Oklahoma this morning. They're going in May.

Contrary to one poster's suggestion; I am not and never have been nor will ever be in any type of travel business. I am retired with way too much time on my hands and glad to give what information I have that MAY help them enjoy their visit to Progreso. Obviously, some don't appreciate my positive experiences or maybe don't believe me. To each their own.

Alildabldo. As I've said in my previous post, I'm not trying to sell anything but the wisdom to research any traveling destination. Obviously, from your post you are trying to sell an idea or your personal opinion. I quote

" hopefully some will come to the understanding that this is a place to BYPASS. "

Now back to my research on Progue.

okiegirl. Here is the website for Reef Yucatan, about 30 miles from Progreso, near Telchac Puorto.

http://www.reefyucatan.com/

I spent two nights there in late October. Very pretty. I have quite a few pics. There were day pass guests there one day from an NCL ship that said they paid $25 at the Progreso pier with transportation. Food and drinks included. Hope this helps.

Can anyone tell me if advanced passes are available? Is this a kid-friendly hotel? About how long will it take to get there? Thank you so much for any info. !!

To my knowlege, there is no advance purchase available. The Reef Yucatan is family friendly. Travel to the resort will be 30 to 40 minutes. Two large pools, tennis courts, very nice beach. Food and drinks, of all kinds are included. Reasonably priced massages are also available.

Archived