Progresso (what a joke) Mexico

Traveler. Just maybe, the title of the thread attracks more people to read the thread and discover that the OP was dead wrong and that Progreso, Merida and the Yucatan state are just what they would enjoy rather than the over-touristed port stops. Just saying ..........

As you know, I love the area.

That could be it. It is actually a very active thread. Any chance I can get to tell folks how great the Progreso/Merida area is you know I jump on it.

That could be it. It is actually a very active thread. Any chance I can get to tell folks how great the Progreso/Merida area is you know I jump on it.

The best way to get a book read, is to ban it. I am very much looking forward to next years Progreso trip. I want to go to "Dz", and from the aeriel views, I really want to see this port. The first time I went to Mexico I went to Isla Mujeres, early 80's and it was not a touristy area(at least for Americans) at that time, and I loved it. I spoke no spanish, and I still don't. Didn't mean I had a bad time, between my spanglish, and their amerispan I had a great time. Looking forward to new adventures.

We hated Progresso. Tried to sit on the beach and were constantly harrassed by people attempting to sell stuff. Yes, I know this is a poor area. But it got to the point that I was ready to just smack the next person. My uncle kept count, in the 1 hour I was there, we were approached by 47 vendors!!!! That gets to be exteme. I would look at cruises that never go to Progresso. It is a bad as Tijuana . The place felt so dirty all I felt like I wanted to do was go back to the ship and take a shower. The beach is NOT beautiful. Have been on beaches on the east and west coasts of US, Gulf Coasts, and the Azores. I truly believe the beaches on Lake Michagan in Chicago are much cleaner and nicer.

Nannersmom. You're very wise to not consider a cruise stopping in Progreso. I had two port calls in Progreso, sailing Celebrity and now have been back to the Yucatan state for three two week vacations. Although my base is always Merida, I always make time to visit Progeso but prefer non-cruise days.

hdawson... my dh is retired from the Navy. We have traveled many places, him way more then me. He said the place was nasty compared to numerous other ports he has seen. While I had read some reports about it not being a nice place, I took it more as someone saying it is not Disney clean picture perfect tourist trap. I looked forward to not having the picture perfect. We have friends who have family in the Yuctan area, when I was telling her the cruise goes there, she could not figure out why. She said her family DOES NOT go to Progresso as it is to Nasty for them...this is from family who is Native to the area (real Mexico). (They live near Merida). We stayed in the Progresso area only because my two young (2 & 4 year olds) wanted to play at the beach. We hoped that we could just do a little shoping and let the little ones play...Our beach time was cut short because of all the peddlers.

• 11 months later...

I won't lie, I am nervous about the peddlers. Not because they will bother me but because I have such a big heart to help I will try to buy from them all.

I am not really looking forward to Progreso, because I am not into the history stuff. I will make the best of it and I have been doing lots of homework.

well I for one am looking forward to our stop in Progresso this April. I absolutely love Costa Maya and have heard this is similiar. I like seeing the real Mexico. I don't mind the vendors because I enjoy talking to different people from different areas and walks of life. If I don't want to buy I simply say no thank you and have never had a problem with street vendors or in stores in any of the ports I have been to both on a cruise and privately. In my opinion having a positive attitude and treating people with respect makes any port a good port.

I love Progresso. I prefer it over Cozumel. Cozumel is so overgrown it's almost like some parts of the States. Progresso is Mexico. I go to Mexico to see Mexico, not fake culture made up to please tourists and over priced stores.

Progreso is not the real Mexico. It's a town that caters to tourists, like any tourist town. If you wanna see Mexico, rent a van with a driver and go visit Merida, Valladolid, or any of the small villages that are off the beaten path.

Progreso is a dirty tourist trap. As I said in the other thread, I don't like having to avoid walking into a vendor's pee stream while walking down the street!

And, I find it odd that you find the stores to be overpriced and not the vendors. We bought 1 item in Progreso. That's it. Why? Every vendor priced their items so outrageously high that I refused to bargain with them. $55 for a ceramic knick-knack? I don't think so. But, to add insult to injury -- as we walked away, he offered $5. (And, yes... I asked if he meant $55 in pesos or USD.)

It seems as if the vendors in Progreso assume that Americans could not possibly understand what they are saying... I heard insults flying right in front of us. No hiding it... They insulted us and the people around us.

I LOVE Mexico. It is my favorite place in the world. We have traveled quite a bit in QRoo/Yucatan over the past 8 years. But, Progreso was just bad.

Vanityfur. In spending about 50 days spent in Progreso, Merida and the Yucatan state, I've never encountered what you describe. Not once. Three port calls and three 2 week vacations.

Cruise days do bring out the vendors. That's to be expected.

Progreso is not primarily a tourist town. It's a fishing town and very much a shipping port. The 4.5 mile pier was not built just for cruise ships. It is the primary shipping port for the Yucatan state.

I've found the people of the Yucatan to be very friendly and proud of their history and culture.

Vanityfur. In spending about 50 days spent in Progreso, Merida and the Yucatan state, I've never encountered what you describe. Not once. Three port calls and three 2 week vacations.

Cruise days do bring out the vendors. That's to be expected.

Progreso is not primarily a tourist town. It's a fishing town and very much a shipping port. The 4.5 mile pier was not built just for cruise ships. It is the primary shipping port for the Yucatan state.

I've found the people of the Yucatan to be very friendly and proud of their history and ...[\quote]

I must have imagined it all happened, then...

I shared my negative experience, bc I think people need both sides. You can like/dislike/refute my experience all you wish. You can try to convince people they are wrong or must be stupid to not appreciate the port. But, in the end, it happened just the same. And, I will continue to share...

It always makes me laugh how people that like Progreso will defend it no matter what. It is odd. Before I went, I was looking so forward to the town bc of this. Then I went-- and was just shaking my head at how the naysayers had a legitimate point.

• 4 weeks later...
well I for one am looking forward to our stop in Progresso this April. I absolutely love Costa Maya and have heard this is similiar. I like seeing the real Mexico. I don't mind the vendors because I enjoy talking to different people from different areas and walks of life. If I don't want to buy I simply say no thank you and have never had a problem with street vendors or in stores in any of the ports I have been to both on a cruise and privately. In my opinion having a positive attitude and treating people with respect makes any port a good port.

Can you give me some input into Costa Maya? We will be there in April off Carnival. What have you done there? Thanks!

once off the ship, near the back of the port entrance there are a bunch of tours. We took a all inclusive beach one. I can't remember the name but it was great. We paid 25 pp will all you could drink and I think 1 food iterm(can't remember for sure). You were given lounges, chair and one of those beds.(my daughters loved that). We all got massages on the beach for 4 people at about 15 a piece for an hour. We also rented 2 jet skis for an hour for less than 100. they had swing seats at the bar. We didn't really get bugged by vendors

I don't know how to upload a pic on here to show you. But we liked the more real mexico and not all built up. don't get me wrong I like cozumel too but it was a nice beach day there.

I am sorry to those that do not like Progresso and didnt have a good experience. I just came from there and actually liked it better than I thought I would. I will say that yes the vendors can overwhelm you but it's just people try to make a living.. Sometimes you just have to keep an open mind and if you dont like it then the ship is close enough to stroll back for some quiet ship time. I also will say that I hope as I return in the future they will offer more variety of port excursions as I or husband arent into seeing the Ruins or really getting into their history.. But that is just us...

We were in Progresso in March and were looking for a taxi to take our family of five to Merida. A helpful gentleman told us where the bus station was. For less than $20 round trip we took a bus from Progresso to Merida. It was a real "Mexican" experience for our three kids. In Merida we took a horse-drawn carriage tour, shopped and ate lunch. Then we went back to Progresso on the bus. A day like that is probably not for everyone. We are experienced travelers (back-packed in Europe for 3 months in our twenties) but our kids haven't traveled much. They really got a sense of the "difference" of Mexico. I think that being open to adventure and willing to go beyond your comfort zone is one of the best ways to enjoy travel.

@Louisiana Mamma - great attitude. You kids will be so much more well-rounded for these experiences. Isn't Merida a beautiful city? We love Merida and Progreso too - nicest people we have ever encountered on our travels. Clearly you are travelers, not tourists!

Thanks those who replied. When we were young we got hooked on the travel writer Rick Steves whose philosophy is that one should travel as much as possible as a native and enjoy "backdoor experiences." On a 2009 Med. cruise we took several of his books and did all the ports on our own. We just recently noticed that he has come out with a Mediterranean Cruise Port book. Knowing Steves, it will be a great book and will tell travelers everything they need to know to enjoy those ports as independent cruisers. I wish somebody would write a book like that about the cruise ports most American travelers go to. As I prepare for our upcoming Southern Caribbean cruise, I am using these boards to try and accumulate as much information as I can about ways to enjoy backdoor experiences.

Just my thought, as we cruise more and more, always try and find a cruise to a place we have not visited. Found that some of the most fun and educational places are the new ports, not yet taken over by Diamonds internations, ect. You need to enjoy the people, and there culture. We stopped at Santa De Thomaso, a couple of years ago, and found a taxi driver, offered a whole day for $60. I paid him double after the day ended. He took us to meet his mom, his dogs, his best friend, the market, helped us barter for hand made goods, steared the bad types away from us. He wanted us to know about his country, and was proud of it. It was better than any shore excursion we could pay for. And I will always look for this type of person at all of our ports. Us visiting these ports helps them to build there economy, and you will find most to be honest hard working people. Coming in with attitudes does not do them or you any good.

Great tip is to go to the central information desk at the port, and ask the people there for a good driver

• 2 weeks later...

Can you give me some input into Costa Maya? We will be there in April off Carnival. What have you done there? Thanks!

Some go to Costa Maya and spend the day at the pier area shopping, swimming, and drinking. It is a very nice area, BUT if you want the "real" Mexico experience, venture outside of the port area. We took a bus (cost just a few dollars per person) to Majahual. It's a very poor area, but the people take VERY GOOD care of you! When the bus got to the Majahual beach, we actually questioned whether we should get off! But, I had read many posts from others saying what a great time they had so I figured if they made it out, then I would too!! :) We walked down a sidewalk between 2 rows of vendors and out onto the beach. As soon as they saw us, the waiters started to put tables together under a palm tree, rushing to find enough chairs for our group (there were about 14 of us), and, of course, laying menus on the tables. They were at our beck & call, but not bothersome, the entire day. The beach was very pretty, the water so clear... There were quite a few vendors with tents on the beach. They were not pushy or rude so it was fun to barter with them to see what kind of deals we could get. Also, on the beach, you could get $20/ hour massages. A row of 5 or 6 tables (with white linens) were set up under a white tent. The ladies giving the massages were all dressed in white uniforms... obviously trying to look professional and they gave absolutely wonderful massages! (Not like some of the massages you get from locals wandering the beach with aloa vera plants to rub on you.) You can also get your hair braided, enjoy the swings while eating/ drinking at the bar & drink coconut milk from a coconut that they open for you. The feel of the "real" Mexico was all around... especially when we saw the local law enforcement walking the beach with large guns strapped to their backs. :) I couldn't leave that out just because that's not something you see everyday! We had a GREAT time and felt very safe from the moment we stepped foot on the beach. Don't cheat yourself... venture outside of the Costa Maya pier area.

"Can you give me some input into Costa Maya? We will be there in April off Carnival. What have you done there? Thanks! "

Some go to Costa Maya and spend the day at the pier area shopping, swimming, and drinking. It is a very nice area, BUT if you want the "real" Mexico experience, venture outside of the port area. We took a bus (cost just a few dollars per person) to Majahual. It's a very poor area, but the people take VERY GOOD care of you! When the bus got to the Majahual beach, we actually questioned whether we should get off! But, I had read many posts from others saying what a great time they had so I figured if they made it out, then I would too!! :) We walked down a sidewalk between 2 rows of vendors and out onto the beach. As soon as they saw us, the waiters started to put tables together under a palm tree, rushing to find enough chairs for our group (there were about 14 of us), and, of course, laying menus on the tables. They were at our beck & call, but not bothersome, the entire day. The beach was very pretty, the water so clear... There were quite a few vendors with tents on the beach. They were not pushy or rude so it was fun to barter with them to see what kind of deals we could get. Also, on the beach, you could get $20/ hour massages. A row of 5 or 6 tables (with white linens) were set up under a white tent. The ladies giving the massages were all dressed in white uniforms... obviously trying to look professional and they gave absolutely wonderful massages! (Not like some of the massages you get from locals wandering the beach with aloa vera plants to rub on you.) You can also get your hair braided, enjoy the swings while eating/ drinking at the bar & drink coconut milk from a coconut that they open for you. The feel of the "real" Mexico was all around... especially when we saw the local law enforcement walking the beach with large guns strapped to their backs. :) I couldn't leave that out just because that's not something you see everyday! We had a GREAT time and felt very safe from the moment we stepped foot on the beach. Don't cheat yourself... venture outside of the Costa Maya pier area.

Sorry to read that some aren't happy with their Progresso experience. The fact is Progresso is one of the last unspoiled destinations in Mexico's East. Cruises go there so we can see the peace of it all. If you want Razzamatazz, by all means laud the busier ports but if you want a true travel experience, go outside the square and try and enjoy these gentle places. If not, try a tour to Merida or some of the ruins that are fairly close by. Yes, you will have to spend time in a car but if your guide is OK it can be a great experience. Travel is about learning as well as buying stuff.

I love Progresso and will soon be living in Merida from Australia. It is my intention to set up daytrips for the discerning cruiser. Meanwhile, enjoy the tranquility that Progresso offers. Lie on the beach. Buy a shirt from a Mayan vendor. Bargain with them, they are happy to bargain but don't try and rob them. A dollar may be nothing to you but a lot of people in Mexico have to live on less than $10 a day and they sell their stuff on commission. Live the experience. Be a good tourist and not just a loud foreign annoyance. You might even get a warm, fuzzy sensation that you contributed to the local economy and not just the coffers of a multinational brewery.

Sorry to read that some aren't happy with their Progresso experience. The fact is Progresso is one of the last unspoiled destinations in Mexico's East. Cruises go there so we can see the peace of it all. If you want Razzamatazz, by all means laud the busier ports but if you want a true travel experience, go outside the square and try and enjoy these gentle places. If not, try a tour to Merida or some of the ruins that are fairly close by. Yes, you will have to spend time in a car but if your guide is OK it can be a great experience. Travel is about learning as well as buying stuff.

I love Progresso and will soon be living in Merida from Australia. It is my intention to set up daytrips for the discerning cruiser. Meanwhile, enjoy the tranquility that Progresso offers. Lie on the beach. Buy a shirt from a Mayan vendor. Bargain with them, they are happy to bargain but don't try and rob them. A dollar may be nothing to you but a lot of people in Mexico have to live on less than $10 a day and they sell their stuff on commission. Live the experience. Be a good tourist and not just a loud foreign annoyance. You might even get a warm, fuzzy sensation that you contributed to the local economy and not just the coffers of a multinational brewery.

Tasmexicanian,

I gotta say...Very Well Said!!!!!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!:) And I love your first post! I agree with everything you said. You're soooo "spot on"!!!! Progreso (one "S", not like the soup!) is a cultural experience and I look forward to every time we go there. We're taking our son & his wife in 3 weeks and I can't wait for them to experience Progreso! It's so refreshing to visit a port that's still in it's natural state and hasn't been bought out by the cruise lines - yet! What's the point of traveling if you're just going to port in "Disneyland type" environments?:rolleyes:

Best wishes for success in your Progreso venture! I hope it proves to be very lucrative for you.

Again, welcome to Cruise Critic! What a way to start out!;)

Cheers!:D

Cruisin' Mama

Archived