Progresso (what a joke) Mexico

To my knowlege, there is no advance purchase available. The Reef Yucatan is family friendly. Travel to the resort will be 30 to 40 minutes. Two large pools, tennis courts, very nice beach. Food and drinks, of all kinds are included. Reasonably priced massages are also available.

How much is an all day pass to the Reef Yucatan?? Also they provide transportation to and from the ship? How much are the massages? Please forgive the questions but I am considering doing this with my daughter while my husband and son do something else. Thank you so much.

• 2 months later...

Costa Maya is a completely contrived and phony shopping village You won't even find the name on a map.

Progreso and Merida is the real Mexico and it's existance doesn't depend entirely on tourism. It is the best port for visiting Mayan ruins in Mexico. Not at all like the over crowded and overtouristed Cancun or Cozumel. Usually one ship in port at a time.

Start your research at: http://www.yucatantoday.com

If you want more information and pics, email me at hdawson228@aol.com

After 2 portcalls on Celebrity I'm now getting ready for my third land trip to the area.

Can anyone compare Progreso to Costa Maya? I'll be going to Progreso in a couple of weeks. I've been following this thread and it sounds a lot like Costa Maya.

I have been to both areas. They are totally different. As hdawson says Costa Maya is just the name of the port area -which frankly might as well be any mall. The town of Majahual (a short drive from the port ) is actually very real and pleasant in its own laid back way. The beach is nice and the town isn't over-developed yet. There are interesting ruins (at Chacchoben) about 1 hour from the port - they have not been completely excavated and you get a really exotic jungley feel there.

Progreso is a real port that existed long before cruiseships started coming there. Personally I am not crazy about the actual town of Progreso but it is REAL (not contrived and over-priced for tourists) and I love the surrounding area (Merida, the wonderful Mayan ruins - Uxmal, the entire Puuc Hills area, Dzbilchaltun).

• 1 month later...

I was sad to read the posts of those who were not happy with Progreso and the Yucatan. I love it here (I own a house on the beach about 16 km east of Progreso. See http://www.drennon.org/yucatan/pictures.html ). I love it here. The people of the Yucatan are very friendly. There is tons to do (See http://www.drennon.org/yucatan/thingstodo.html ). The beaches are beautiful, loaded with sea shells, so white that they do not burn your feet. It is a wonderful place. I love sitting in a hammock, reading a book, listening to the coconut palms rustle in the wind, the gentle waves lapping at the shore line.. etc.. etc. You can not run out of things to do here.. or to see. It is not the typical "tourist" destination. I personally think negative reviews tell you more about the person than the place.

Bill

i was there last year and loved it, spent the day at the beach where we had waiter service bringing us our drinks whenever we got low, never had to ask. Looking forward to going back and visiting Meridia. Also dont book the beach party unless your going to drink insane. Beer is 1 to 2 bucks each and you can enjoy the music and games.

You can not run out of things to do here.. or to see. It is not the typical "tourist" destination. I personally think negative reviews tell you more about the person than the place.

Bill

I'll drink to that, Bill. I'll even eat a shrimp to that.:D

• 3 years later...

I'm going with CrazyBill on this one, Progreso has a lot to offer, it's just a different kind of port than your usual Caribbean stop.

This from my post under Progreso is a Dump:

My husband and I own a second home in the small fishing village of Chelem, just 6 miles west of Progreso. The area is certainly not your usual tourist spot, but it has it's own charms. Progreso has long been a beach destination for locals from Merida and Mexico City, and other cities throughout the country. In the past few years, as cruise ships have begun to port there, it is trying to learn the way to appeal to the gringo market, but it is still mainly a beach vacation or beach day trip for Mexican families, and happily so. If you visit on days when a cruise ship is not in port, it has a totally different vibe.

The people of the area are hard working, and some of the friendliest you'll find anywhere. Yes they are mostly poor, they generally make around $15 per day, but they are amazingly positive people and very family oriented, enjoying life on a different financial scale.

Close by are some amazing things to see. The ruins at Dzibilchaltun are about 20 minutes away, smaller than Uxmal or Chichen Itza, but interesting, and with a great museum. Merida is a lovely colonial city dating back to the 1500's with glorious architecture, many plazas/squares, a cafe society and wide avenues. At one time it was the richest city in the world, due to it's production of rope from the henequin plant, and many of it's grand homes remain. Now it is a city of over a million people with a large historic center. There are places nearby to go kayaking to see flamingo habitats, swimming in crystal clear cenotes (underground rivers), and fishing. If you head east towards Telchac Puerto and Santa Rosa you'll see the perfect beaches and modern grand beach houses built by the wealthy. If you head a bit south you can visit the "yellow city" of Izamal, with it's 400 year old convent and monastery and charming town. There are interesting tours of henequin plantations, such as Sotuta de Peon, that rival a sugar plantation tour in South Louisiana.

The area is just waiting for folks to get out and explore a bit, it's just getting it's tourist wheels rolling, so you have to try a bit harder to seek out the great, until they get it all figured out and start bringing the great to the port, that's all.

As to safety, we drive all over this area and always feel safe, and anytime we have a problem the folks we happen upon are always more than happy to be of help.

I hope you enjoy your time, and know that your money spent really does help someone who lives on much less than you. Best.

• 7 months later...

Having visited Merida years ago, and this time, having time for only one city, should we re-visit Merida or Izalam$ We do want to visit Dz and figure lunch and some souvenier shopping time after that. Or can we do it all?

Thanks!

I just now found this thread, I thought it was a new one..Wrong!

I Love Progreso, it is not a glitzy tourist trap at all, it is the

real deal..and that is why I like it so much. I will be there

Monday, and this trip, we might even get to the Malecon.

Last time we went into the city and had a great time.

Having visited Merida years ago, and this time, having time for only one city, should we re-visit Merida or Izalam$ We do want to visit Dz and figure lunch and some souvenier shopping time after that. Or can we do it all?

Thanks!

It is possible to go to DZ and Merida in one day. However it is pushing it. So much to see and do at both.

Thanks.

How about Izalam? Is that closer? We will be in port from 9-ish, saiiing at 6. We plan to hire a car and guide.

Sorry, but I have never been to Izalam. DZ in only about a 25 minute ride from Progreso and Merida is another short ride (15 -20 minutes) from DZ. You can easily spend several hours at DZ. The museum is well worth spending some time viewing and the restored ruins are spread out from each other, so a bit of walking is involved. Merida is a beautiful and very old colonial city that deserves a full day just to see the highlights. I have been to Merida several times for week long land trips and find something new each visit.

• 4 weeks later...

Crazybill- thanks for sharing your beach house pictures. Looks like a lot of fun. We will be in progresso in August. We have been to Progresso once and I had no negative opinions, but now you have opened my eyes even moreso. Thanks.

Crazybill- thanks for sharing your beach house pictures. Looks like a lot of fun. We will be in progresso in August. We have been to Progresso once and I had no negative opinions, but now you have opened my eyes even moreso. Thanks.

We will be going there in May and are very much looking forward to it, never been. So, tell me, what are the beaches like there? Would it be best to do a beach excursion through the cruise line or on our own? Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Sue

We will be going there in May and are very much looking forward to it, never been. So, tell me, what are the beaches like there? Would it be best to do a beach excursion through the cruise line or on our own? Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Sue

The beach is free and open to all. So no reason to do a ships overpriced beach excursion. Great little beach bars, plenty of shade and loungers for the cost of a drink. The seafood is some of the best and freshest that you will find anywhere and the price is right. The water is clean and shallow and feels so good after a hot day of Margaritas and people watching. (I wish there was some way to change the name of this thread.)

Traveler. Just maybe, the title of the thread attracks more people to read the thread and discover that the OP was dead wrong and that Progreso, Merida and the Yucatan state are just what they would enjoy rather than the over-touristed port stops. Just saying ..........

As you know, I love the area.

Archived