This happened to us embarking in CPH...

We were on the Eurodam leaving CPH on June 30. Our plan was to get off the train at Nordhavn and pull our bags to the dock at Orientkaj, which is where the ship was to be. However, after doing just that, it was not docked there and no signs were posted where it was. A worker at the dock told us to just go around the corner to the next pier (west, then northeast then southeast if you look at a map). We walked for a very long time and could not even see the ship. A very nice dock worker picked us up in his van, not an official transportation service, and drove us a very long way to the ship. A few other people we met had the same problem. My issue is that we received no notification, even after I checked my email back home, and no signs were posted. I am posting this as a heads up to those who are planning this way of getting to the ship, so you can be prepared for all contingencies.

I do not follow this thread often, but do know that the Freeport area of Copenhagen port can be problematic. While I have cruised from here a couple of times, I do not consider myself an expert.

I am sorry you had this bad experience, but hope it can help others in the future. It is unfortunate your cruise line gave you the wrong information.

Your ship was always scheduled by Copenhagen port to be in c266 which is then next pier over from Orientkaj, the Levantkaj. It is in the same area, but the next one over from Orientkaj and the two ships there would block the view of the third ship further out, where the Eurodam was that day.

http://www.cmport.com/ships-in-port/cruise-ships/~/media/docs/business%204/cruise%20passenger%20information/cruise%20calls%20season%202013%20as%20per%20may%202013.ashx

When embarking at Copenhagen, I take the bus 26 out to the pier and that saves the hassle of carrying dragging the bags such a long distance. I take it from Nordhavn, but you can take it from the city center. It only runs daytime hours until about 6 pm though. Then those at c266 also need to know not to get off until the last stop as well, or they still have to walk all the way around that one dock area.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/kort/trafikkort/Documents/Hovedstadsomraadet/BusserKobenhavnCity.pdf

Eurodam was scheduled to dock at Levantkaj (quay 266) - and this is not is easy walking from Nordhavn - wrong communication from HAL.

And yes - Copenhagen port is not easy if you don't know the right location.

I normally do recommend to take the train to Østerport and then a taxi to the ship - easy to get a taxi from Østerport

Madflyer: Interesting you mention Bus 26. There was a strike on the train line that goes from Nordhavn to Central station on July 10, and HAL fortunately informed us as we were about to dock. We took Bus 26 to Central Station, pretty easy once the bus stop was found with help from a HAL dock worker. HAL was offering $15 cash bus ride to Central, unfortunately I did not have enough cash and they wouldn't accept a credit card. We did have DKK for the train and used it on the bus, about $4 per person. So in the end this worked out well also, but it really is not possible to prepare for everything that can go wrong.

And by the way, we had a great time in Copenhagen, one full day pre and one full day post cruise. Great city, wonderful people, and incredible food. We ate at a Pakistani restaurant near Nyhavn on Havngade that was fantastic, and spent time at sunset in Nyhavn, in addition to Rosenborg Castle and many other sites. I wish we had even more time there. The dock experience did not subtract from the overall picture; I just post this so others can learn and be prepared.

Archived