New to Celebrity -need help choosing cabin

Benji817

Hi all,

I'm not new to cruising, but I've been a HAL regular for a few years now, and I'm looking to jump ship to Celebrity.:p

I've been scouring the message boards, learning about "hump cabins", searching through this famous spreadsheet, and Google images for way too many hours of my life the past few days! I'm trying to book a cruise on Reflection, and to cut it short - cabin 8252 and 9192 are both available (class 1A), or for another hundred I can grab 2173 (class C2).

The extra balcony space is appealing to me, but I'm afraid the three cabins I mentioned might be totally shaded, and I love the sun. It doesn't have to be full sun, but some space to enjoy it would be nice... Am I wrong in my thinking that I won't have any? :confused:

Furthermore, are there any obvious pros/cons to the three that I listed that I'm missing? Looking at the deck plans, they seem to be the same to me, except for the concierge.

Thanks in advance for your help! Once I'm booked I suspect I'll be hanging around here more often. ;)

Hi all,

I'm not new to cruising, but I've been a HAL regular for a few years now, and I'm looking to jump ship to Celebrity.:p

I've been scouring the message boards, learning about "hump cabins", searching through this famous spreadsheet, and Google images for way too many hours of my life the past few days! I'm trying to book a cruise on Reflection, and to cut it short - cabin 8252 and 9192 are both available (class 1A), or for another hundred I can grab 2173 (class C2).

The extra balcony space is appealing to me, but I'm afraid the three cabins I mentioned might be totally shaded, and I love the sun. It doesn't have to be full sun, but some space to enjoy it would be nice... Am I wrong in my thinking that I won't have any? :confused:

Furthermore, are there any obvious pros/cons to the three that I listed that I'm missing? Looking at the deck plans, they seem to be the same to me, except for the concierge.

Thanks in advance for your help! Once I'm booked I suspect I'll be hanging around here more often. ;)

Of the three, 2173 would be my first choice. But you mention you want some sun - it has an overhang with the buffet directly above. Personally, if I wanted sun, I would walk up one deck and head to the pool. 2173 also has the bed by the bath configuration, whereas the other two staterooms have the bed by the balcony. I prefer bed by bath, personally.

If you won't want to go C2, then I would chose 8252 only because of location on the ship - convenient to the aft elevators -- up to the buffet/lawn, down to the martini bar/dining. 9192 is up forward. I personally desire to be in the "hump" area.

As far as shade, the two 1A cabins have the overhang of the balcony above.

The best cabin's to guarantee sun on the balcony would be one of the Aft cabins, with the 'terraced' open air design. That said, we are booked in 9241, port, hump, in Nov on Reflection. Friends in an OV, so we wanted the bigger balcony for room for the 4 of us, not so much for day time sun.

Welcome to Celebrity.

Hmm..I hadn't really considered looking at the Aft cabins. I think maybe I read somewhere that you're very visible to other balconies or people above you which is kind of a turnoff. I've read so much though in the past couple of days my head is spinning! :rolleyes:

I know there's no such thing as a "perfect" cabin, and you can't have everything. Well, maybe there is such a thing, but my bank account says otherwise. Thanks for your help! :)

You might also want to take into consideration that 2173 is under the Lido Deck so it's quite possible to hear noise from above whereas the other two cabins are sandwiched between decks with cabins above and below which most people (myself included) feel is preferable.

Hmm..I hadn't really considered looking at the Aft cabins. I think maybe I read somewhere that you're very visible to other balconies or people above you which is kind of a turnoff. I've read so much though in the past couple of days my head is spinning! :rolleyes:

I know there's no such thing as a "perfect" cabin, and you can't have everything. Well, maybe there is such a thing, but my bank account says otherwise. Thanks for your help! :)

Check out the 1B's!!! They are on the flat part of the 'hump' and there is no overhang. Right at the midship elevators, we were 10 steps from our door, perfect location--we loved it!

BTW we have also stayed in an AQ with the big balcony--did not like the deep shade nor the resulting 'gloominess' of the room.

Welcome to Celebrity. You will love it.

I would stay from any cabin that is under the pool, fitness center, buffet due to noise factors from above.

That said, all of the cruises we have been on we have taken a balcony cabin. Only one did not have some kind of 'roof' over it and that was on Princess where our balcony was extra deep so half was under cover and half was exposed to the sun.

The 'roof' (overhang or floor of balcony above) does block direct sun but will also block rain!

As previous poster stated, for sun you can go upstairs to the lido deck or the lawn area, etc. Choose your cabin based on location rather than if there is an overhang. Quiet, IMHO, is far better than sun.

Debbi

I would take 8252.

The balcony is larger than some of the others and apart from the ordinary view out over the ship's side you will also get a view past the side of the ship looking aft.

If you look at the "Sticky" at the top of the page you may get other peoples opinions of your choice of cabins

:)

We normally book Aft and after reading and watching a few videos my wife felt a tad uneasy about the " visible to other balconies or people above you" not as bad as some make it out to be, but we mover to the hump anyway.

I would take 8252 first off the hump and has the largest balcony. We had 8256 on Eclipse and had plenty of sun. Very convenient to stairs and elevators with no noise. Would be glad to post pics of 8256 if you like. It has the same size balcony.

• 2 weeks later...
The best cabin's to guarantee sun on the balcony would be one of the Aft cabins, with the 'terraced' open air design. That said, we are booked in 9241, port, hump, in Nov on Reflection. Friends in an OV, so we wanted the bigger balcony for room for the 4 of us, not so much for day time sun.

Welcome to Celebrity.

Hi Wallie, It's Gloria from roll call. We are obviously on the same cruise in cabin # 8252. It's my understanding that has one of the largest balconies. Any thoughts on that cabin or its location?

Thanks, Gloria

Archived