Alaskan Cruise Transfer Questions

twinkle toes

Hello All! I am in the process of booking an Alaskan cruise for my DH and I as well as my parents (82 and 84). The parents have never cruised before, so I am trying to make this as easy as possible for them. I noticed that when I reserved my cruise cabins, (leaving from Vancouver and traveling north to Whittier) they offered transfers from both Vancouver airport as well as Seattle airport to the port. Vancouver was 29 dollars and Seattle was 49. Has anyone ever flown into Seattle and taken the Princess Shuttle up to the Vancouver Port? How long did it take. When I go on google earth, it seems a fair distance. Also, with the cruise ending at 12:30am in Whittier, how long does it take the Princess Shuttle to get to Anchorage Airport? Any help in figuring this out would be greatly appreciated!!! Sue.

Hello All! I am in the process of booking an Alaskan cruise for my DH and I as well as my parents (82 and 84). The parents have never cruised before, so I am trying to make this as easy as possible for them. I noticed that when I reserved my cruise cabins, (leaving from Vancouver and traveling north to Whittier) they offered transfers from both Vancouver airport as well as Seattle airport to the port. Vancouver was 29 dollars and Seattle was 49. Has anyone ever flown into Seattle and taken the Princess Shuttle up to the Vancouver Port? How long did it take. When I go on google earth, it seems a fair distance. Also, with the cruise ending at 12:30am in Whittier, how long does it take the Princess Shuttle to get to Anchorage Airport? Any help in figuring this out would be greatly appreciated!!! Sue.

As far as ease goes either airport is pretty easy. The bus trip from Seattle takes 4 or 5 hours as I remember and you have to get out of the bus at the border for a bit and talk to the border people, dragging your luggage thru a short line usually...it's a little more trying than Vancouver airport but usually a bit less expensive. The transfer at Whittier can be a wait to go thru the tunnel so it probably takes over an hour but it's been a few years since I've been so could be different, I would plan on it taking two hours. Princess transfers are pretty painless I've found and anyway you go should be relaxing...enjoy the cruise, it's one of our favorites

Thanks for the information!! So I gather it is best to fly in the day before if you are flying into Seattle. Will Princess only take you to the port, or will they take you to a hotel near the port if you fly in the day before?

The bus trip from Seattle to Vancouver could be as little as 3 1/2 hours, but it is unpredictable. Snarls at the border could make it much longer.

Fly to Vancouver if you can, although flights to Seattle are usually cheaper and more plentiful to choose from. For example, Southwest flights to Seattle are great and plentiful, but they don't fly to Vancouver.

In Whittier, it could take 2 or 3 hours. Check with Princess first, before booking your flights. They will tell you what they consider to be acceptable arrival and departure times.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Thanks for the information!! So I gather it is best to fly in the day before if you are flying into Seattle. Will Princess only take you to the port, or will they take you to a hotel near the port if you fly in the day before?

Princess takes you to the hotel if you book a Princess hotel package. This is much more expensive than doing it on your own, but it is very convenient if you are not familiar with what to do. Princess reps meet and greet at the airport, and they put you on your transport to your hotel. Then, at the hotel a Princess rep puts you on transport to the airport or ship.

In Seattle, they use the Westin. In Vancouver, it can be the Fairmont Waterfront or the Westin Bayshore or the Four Seasons. All are pricey $$$

Be prepared mentally for a long wait for check in at the pier in Vancouver. Not always, but it can happen. It is worth it... Not so bad if mentally prepared.

Bon voyage!

We took the Princess shuttle from Seattle to Vancouver last month. We flew in the night before and stayed at a property that had free 24hr shuttle service. The hotel picked us up at the airport and brought us back the next morning. We were delayed at the border, but never had to get off the bus. Once at the Vancouver cruise terminal our wait/processing was very quick, we were on board in about 20min.

We took the Princess shuttle from Seattle to Vancouver last month. We flew in the night before and stayed at a property that had free 24hr shuttle service. The hotel picked us up at the airport and brought us back the next morning. We were delayed at the border' date=' but never had to get off the bus. Once at the Vancouver cruise terminal our wait/processing was very quick, we were on board in about 20min.[/quote']

Sounds great! You did very well! Thanks for sharing. :)

That sounds exactly like what I want to do. One question though, fishin, when you say that the shuttle took you from seattle to vancouver, do you mean you stayed overnight in seattle and then took the shuttle to the back to the seattle airport and boarded the princess shuttle, or you took the princess shuttle to the vancouver airport and stayed in a hotel there?

That sounds exactly like what I want to do. One question though, fishin, when you say that the shuttle took you from seattle to vancouver, do you mean you stayed overnight in seattle and then took the shuttle to the back to the seattle airport and boarded the princess shuttle, or you took the princess shuttle to the vancouver airport and stayed in a hotel there?

We flew to Seattle on TUE, took the hotel shuttel to a Seattle airport hotel and returned to the Seattle airport via the hotel shuttle WED morning where we boarded the Princess shuttle to Vancouver.

OMG!!! Seriously!!! They should put that on their itinerary! I am glad you said something because I was going to make flight plans on a flight that leaves at around 3:30am. Thank you so much!!! I knew this place was a wealth of information.

The ship may arrive in Whittier at that hour, but I would not expect disembarkation to start much before 7 AM.

We've never been able to get off at any port before 7am (usually around 9am). I wouldn't count on a plane before 2:00pm in Anchorage.

It's wise to never plan on flying in/out the day the cruise arrives. You don't want minor setbacks/changes to result it losing your vacation or significant additional cost. It is also a lot of stress!

Also it's almost cheaper to take the cruise ship back from Alaska than to fly back. More cruising is always better :).

Archived