Advice from New Yorkers please

sam49

We travel on Explorer from New Jersey in 10 days time. On our return we will leave the ship in the morning but our flight back to the UK does not leave until 7pm. So we are worrying about what to do we don't want to sit in the airport for 7 hours.

My two teenage daughters have found Jersey Gardens mall on the internet and assure me that there is a shuttle from the airport to the mall and 'it will be really easy to get to'.

Any advice? Is it easy to do bearing in mind we are from the UK and do not know our way around. Do you know if there is anywhere we could store luggage?

Thanks in advance for any help

We travel on Explorer from New Jersey in 10 days time. On our return we will leave the ship in the morning but our flight back to the UK does not leave until 7pm. So we are worrying about what to do we don't want to sit in the airport for 7 hours.

My two teenage daughters have found Jersey Gardens mall on the internet and assure me that there is a shuttle from the airport to the mall and 'it will be really easy to get to'.

Any advice? Is it easy to do bearing in mind we are from the UK and do not know our way around. Do you know if there is anywhere we could store luggage?

Girls and shopping!!:rolleyes: ha ha :D been there done that!:D

The Jersey Gardens Mall is very close to the Newark Airport so if your flight is from Newark Airport, you could spend time there. But if your flight is from JFK then its a no no.

There are several hotels next to the Jersey Gardens Mall, perhaps you can ask the bell desk there to hold the luggage for a few $$ maybe? or ask for a day rate so you could rest there and then they could shuttle you to the airport? Just throwing it out there, don't know if it is offered.

I am not aware of any shuttles that go from the port to the mall.

Does RCI offer some type of post-cruise excursion into NYC? I would recommend spending a few hours in Macy's on 34th in NYC instead of the Jersey Gardens Mall. Since you'll be shopping with a very favorable exchange rate, everything will seem like its on sale!

If they are younger teens, the Liberty Science Center is a nice way to spend a few hours. But will need to take cab/taxi to & from.

Note - The Short Hills malls is about 20 minutes from the airport and is a much nicer mall (if you would ask my teen DD and my DW) than Jersey Garden Mall - but I do not believe it has a shuttle. However, Jersey Gardens is a pretty big mall.

If you give yourself a very large window to return to the airport, NYC may be possible - but always beware of train delays. You can take "the train to the plane" option in which you can take a shuttle from the airport to a New Jersey Transit train which will take you to/from NYC - and it takes you right to midtown near Macys. Take a look at njtransit.com for details.

Edited to Add: The shuttle is about 10 minutes from the airport to the NJ transit station (they come. Then about 20-25 minutes from the Newark Airport station to the NYC station (New York-Pennsylvania Station). But you have to be wary of the times the trains leave (they could be 30 minutes between trains or more)

I can't believe I didn't even think about the Short Hills Mall - especially since I live about 10 minutes away. Its a much more upscale mall than Jersey Gardens and has Macys, Bloomingdales, Nordstroms and Saks 5th Ave.

Go over to the ports of departure section on cruise critic and see if someone there can help you. I only live here but I've never cruised out of Bayonne.

Guest maddycat

Post your question on the East Coast Departures board. There are some very knowledgeable people over there who will answer your questions. Your daughters are in luck, all of the stores are running huge sales now. They're clearing out the summer merchandise to make room for the fall items.

East Coast Departures - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3! - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

I can't believe I didn't even think about the Short Hills Mall - especially since I live about 10 minutes away. Its a much more upscale mall than Jersey Gardens and has Macys, Bloomingdales, Nordstroms and Saks 5th Ave.

Go over to the ports of departure section on cruise critic and see if someone there can help you. I only live here but I've never cruised out of Bayonne.

It's also a whole lot further from the airport and I don't believe there's a shuttle.

How are you getting from port to airport? You can check bags in at airport and take cab or shuttle to mall. I see a lot of people in mall wit luggage.

We have the same problem when we sail in August! This is the only part of our trip that I am completely stressed about!! So any info would be greatly appreciated on my part too :D

We did the same Cruise a few years ago and RCI booked day room's in a local Hotel for the UK passengers that were flying back later at night. Have they done this for you guys?

We went on an RCI Bus to the Hotel, ditched the cases and took a Taxi to Jersey Mall Shops. It was not expensive.

We arranged with the Driver to pick us up around 4pm, back to the hotel, quick freshen up and off to the Airport.

Easily do-able and t.b.h. the Store prices were excellent compared to rip off Britain. (Tommy Hilfinger Jersey I paid £60 for in the UK, was 2 for $30 :eek:) you gotta love the UK retail industry for fleecing the public.

make sure you leave space in your suitcases for your purchases.:D

We did the same Cruise a few years ago and RCI booked day room's in a local Hotel for the UK passengers that were flying back later at night. Have they done this for you guys?

We went on an RCI Bus to the Hotel, ditched the cases and took a Taxi to Jersey Mall Shops. It was not expensive.

We arranged with the Driver to pick us up around 4pm, back to the hotel, quick freshen up and off to the Airport.

Easily do-able and t.b.h. the Store prices were excellent compared to rip off Britain. (Tommy Hilfinger Jersey I paid £60 for in the UK, was 2 for $30 :eek:) you gotta love the UK retail industry for fleecing the public.

make sure you leave space in your suitcases for your purchases.:D

I hear what you are saying about UK prices :eek:

Did you book your flights through RCI too? We did ours direct with United so don't think we would be able to use the hotel. I have found that there is a Baggage storage at Newark so that may be an option

Yeah our flights were booked through RCI.

I am sure Jersey Gardens Mall has a website - maybe worth contacting them and see if they can store your luggage.

My daughter downloaded money off coupons before we went from their website.

Check with your airline carrier about how soon before your flight you can check your luggage in.

On our cruise in December we had a mid afternoon flight home and arrived at the airport (Ft. Lauderdale) early morning thinking we can check our luggage, they told us to come back later about three hours before flight departure. I know for international flights you have to be at the airport earlier than domestic but I am not sure how early they will allow you to check your bags. So check with your airline and Newark airport how early you can check in. Never knew, until December incident, that some airlines/airports have restrictions on how early you can check in.

Enjoy your cruise!

We just sailed on the Explorer in May and loved it.

Rottiebabe

We have booked our flights direct with United (RC were soo expensive). Do you know where the baggage store is at Newarke?

Thanks

Hi Sam49, there is supposed to be one in terminal c for united customers but i am yet to get it confirmed by united, I have emailed them just waiting for there reply.

Yeah our flights were booked through RCI.

I am sure Jersey Gardens Mall has a website - maybe worth contacting them and see if they can store your luggage.

My daughter downloaded money off coupons before we went from their website.

Thanks for that the Teen is scouring the website ;)

Rottiebabe

We have booked our flights direct with United (RC were soo expensive). Do you know where the baggage store is at Newarke?

Thanks

Hi Sam49, just spoke to United (email made no sense!) the company is NBS Storage and their tel no is 001 908 933 0503. Not sure if you can just turn up or you have to book in advance hope this helps.

Anj

• 2 weeks later...

What about that luggage program RCI has? I forget what it's called. But they transfer your luggage directly from the ship to the airport for you.

Personally I would pass on the mall. You can always go to a mall. Maybe Ellis Island or the Statue Of Liberty?

Archived