Prinsendam Info

July_Cruiser

We will be on this ship for 30 days. We sailed the Noordam and Ryndam previously. What should we expect? What's better or worse about Prinsendam.

The price of our inside cabin went down by $200 PP.

Can we obtain OBC or room upgrade? How? Our travel agent claims this only occirs on Princess and Carnival. Please advise. Help requested.

My wife and I have cruised on the Prinsendam four times. While others me differ, I believe the service on the Prinsendam tops any of the other HAL ships (and other lines). What we especially like are the walk-in closets although I'm not sure if they have them on the inside cabins. Of the four trips we upgraded from a guaranteed balcony cabin twice to a SY suite.

Prinsendam is our favorite ship (and many others agree)…small, wonderful crew, very intimate areas. (Love the library.)

Since it's late and after payment, not sure about getting any price drop…your TA should know, so if they say it won't happen, it might not…depends on the TA possibly. Ask the TA about checking for an upgrade…but at only $200 it's not going to be any biggie…and sometimes not what you really want if you 've chosen a cabin. Not all upgrades are upgrades to a person.

Enjoy the cruise…if you really like classic ships, the P'dam won't disappoint. (Love the cabin layouts too…walk-in closets…nice.)

We enjoyed our 23 days on the Prinsendam/Amazon Explorer. I liked the walk in closet and the beautiful bathroom. We had an "A" verandah ( took an upsell from an E for a very good price.)The layout of the room was good...I think it is pretty much identical in most categories. The intimate feeling of the ship was a plus, and our stewards (dining and stateroom were very attentive.) We had open seating, but kept the same time/table the entire cruise. All aspects of service were great from shore excursion to front desk.

We received an upgrade after final payment when there was a price drop on the Amsterdam (we could take it or leave it) but be careful about that.

Have a wonderful time on the Prinsendam. :) I did write a review for the 2012 Amazon Explorer.

Karen

We will be on this ship for 30 days. We sailed the Noordam and Ryndam previously. What should we expect? What's better or worse about Prinsendam.
IMO the P'dam is very much like the Ryndam, just smaller. DW thinks the food was a little better on our May P'dam cruise.

Our travel agent claims this only occirs on Princess and Carnival. Please advise. Help requested.

NOT true. It is done regularly before final payment date, and often OBCs are given after that date. (At least on other HAL ships - P'dam may be different if you are on part of a Grand Voyage.) Sounds to me like s/he just doesn't want to lose commission.

Unfortunately, HAL won't deal with you directly since you have a TA. If you're outside the HAL cancellation penalty period, and your TA doesn't impose one, you might consider cancelling and rebooking.

I love the service on the Prinsendam. By the second day, all the stewards know my name, and the lounge stewards know my drink. They bring it when they see me enter, and bring the little nibbles with them. No asking, or second trip, involved.

Breakfast even in the Lido is cooked to order, so is fresh and hot. Yum!

It's a nice, small, ship, so it's easy to get around quickly. Attention to detail is well practiced on this ship.

On our last sailing on the Prinsendam (just under a month since we returned), several on our roll call got nice upsell offers - I don't recall many upgrades but the ship was sold out. I think they aim for the upsells first.:D

Your TA is WRONG - upgrades and upsells happen all the time on HAL - it depends upon how well different categories on the ships are sold.

We are fans of the ship too. Our experience on her has been very good.

She's especially nice on the longer cruises:D

Archived