1st time cruiser and in a wheelchair...help!

teels18

:eek: Hi everyone!

I wonder if anyone can help me?

I am going on my first cruise in September on the CROWN PRINCESS Mediterranean & Adriatic cruise from 09.09.2013

I am travelling with 2 very good friends otherwise I wouldn't be able to attempt this trip! Has anyone got any good points to hellp me on my way?

Thank you !

Oh by the way...I am a COMPLETE novice to cruising...I even had to ask what "MDR" meant! :o

I would suggest that you google "accessible city name" to find appropriate excursions. There are places like Venice if you are going there that seem very complicated but can be managed quite well if you have a map or other resource to assist with your explorations. If you can transfer to a taxi you can arrange independent excursions. The ship's excursions (regardless of line) tend to be difficult as they are in big buses.

We can give you more specific advice if you give the ports that you are going to and if you can transfer on your own to a vehicle.

Yes I can get out of wheelchair and get into a taxi but not up any steps into a coach or bus,

We are stopping off at Gibralter, Malta, Corfu, Dubrovnic, Seville and Venice.

Yes I can get out of wheelchair and get into a taxi but not up any steps into a coach or bus,

We are stopping off at Gibralter, Malta, Corfu, Dubrovnic, Seville and Venice.

Gibraltar is easy to do with a taxi.

Do you have an accessible cabin? Does your wheelchair collapse?

First thing when you board is go to MDR and find your table.

If it is too long of a walk, ask for a new table.

teels18, You sound to be in a similar situation to my wife and we find cruising with a wheelchair very easy, you will find that you will get lots of help from the crew with boarding and disembarking at each port as well as waiters wanting to push you to your table in the MDR, my wife normally uses her chair fulltime outside the cabin, even for dining.

Getting around the ship is also very easy and most people are accomodating to your needs. Best place for the theatre is the lower deck where there is space to place a chair at the end of most rows.

Regarding ports, Dubrovnik may be a problem as sometimes its a tender port. As already mentioned use google for port info I found lots for Venice and I am hoping to peruade my wife to use the waterbus to sail down the Grand Canal. Seville is quite a long coach trip and we found that Cadiz is a rather pleasant place and easy to get around in a chair, despite some cobbles. Gibralter is flat and an easy 20 minute walk from the ship, most of the taxis are mini buses so you might have problems with the steps. Malta and Corfu will be new for us on our Azura cruise this October, but I am hoping they are easy to do on our own.

Have a great cruise.

Archived