Beach suggestions please

extremez

My wife and I are returning to Bermuda at the end of August. This will be our second trip. Love the island and the fact we're there 3 days and can come and go as we please for three days and not feel rushed. Plus folks seem more friendly than other islands we've hit. Get the bus/ferry pass and not have to worry about time constraints.

This time around we're bringing our 3 year old son along with a couple teenagers and 2 more adults.

The only beaches we went to on our first trip was Horseshoe Bay and we walked farther up towards but not Warwick Bay. The water was pretty rough, probably due to Hurricane Irene the week before and Jose and Katia off to the west. Weather was drizzly the day we went.

Anyway I'm looking for more calm water options this time around in the chance we encounter weather. Can you offer some suggestions for us please?

You said you walked toward Warwick Long Bay, did you stop at any of the smaller beaches like Chaplin Bay or Jobson's Cove? Those are smaller protected beaches but if the weather is affecting Horseshoe Bay it will be affecting those as well.

I would say we probably got as far as Chaplin Bay.

I don't want my wife and I to be battling surf when we're holding the little guy. I'm not sure if sticking to something like snorkle park is our best option.

I see potential beaches/bays on Google Earth but not sure if they're private or public. Some that look like they could offer calmer waters are Shelley Bay or a couple spots up near Tuckers Town.

Tobacco Bay is very calm unless you swim far out past the large protected area. The downside (see my other thread) is the distance from the dockyard. The ferry to St. George followed by a walk over the hill is beautiful, but probably very hot and definitely time consuming.

If you want to visit St. George anyway, though, I think it would be a great beach for what you describe.

Tobacco Bay is very calm unless you swim far out past the large protected area. The downside (see my other thread) is the distance from the dockyard. The ferry to St. George followed by a walk over the hill is beautiful, but probably very hot and definitely time consuming.

If you want to visit St. George anyway, though, I think it would be a great beach for what you describe.

If you take the ferry to St George's take one of the mini-vans to get to Tobacco Bay. It is a hot walk with a child. These mini-vans are not part of the transportation ticket. [but, we were happy to use them!]

Tobacco Bay looks like a nice small enclosed area. Any issues with it being overcrowded? I didn't realize it was so close to the Unfinished Church. We trekked up to that last time we were there. Looks like maybe another .25 mile or so farther.

The little one only weights 25lbs. Can carry him easily if his feet get tired.

The best option for having the choice between one of the most gorgeous Bermuda beaches and an extremely calm, small bay is Warwick Long Bay and Jobson's Cove. These are next to one another and are so different from one another. WLB has restrooms and no other amenities (except for a vendor wagon) so it's very quiet and beautiful.

I already posted this in the Tobacco Bay thread, but I really meant to post it here. Post #24 seems almost like it was meant for this thread's OP.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33325003&postcount=24

The full thread is from last year and has a good discussion of various beaches on Bermuda ... and it has some great pictures of Tobacco Bay.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1603268

Horseshoe beach has a cove over to the right, where the surf is milder. It's a striking comparison to the main beach.

I don't think we were at Horseshoe even an hour, when we both commented on how Horseshoe Beach would be the PERFECT Beach for our 2 year old grandson!:)

We also are travelling with a 3 year old,I have heard that Jobsons cove is really nice.What is the best way to get there.Is it in walking distance from horseshoe beach?

Jobson's Cove is a small, intimate bay with very calm water, perfect for a toddler. You would get off at the Warwick Long Bay stop and walk down the road and go to the left to access JC. To the right you will see beautiful WLB. There's usually a vendor trailer at the bottom of the drive and the lady there can also help direct you.

There is a trail along the coast but it's a bit of a walk from the bus stop at HB along HB and the trail to JC.

I would say we probably got as far as Chaplin Bay.

I don't want my wife and I to be battling surf when we're holding the little guy. I'm not sure if sticking to something like snorkle park is our best option.

I see potential beaches/bays on Google Earth but not sure if they're private or public. Some that look like they could offer calmer waters are Shelley Bay or a couple spots up near Tuckers Town.

Shelley Bay would be great for the little one. It is a narrow beach and the water is very calm and shallow for a long way, out at least 100 yards (or more). There is also a small playground there with swings, slides and things to climb on. The times we have been there, it is usually pretty empty, maybe 2 or 3 other families. The downside is that (a) it is a bit out of the way from the Dockyard, and (b) there are no changing/restroom facilities, food, or chair/umbrella rentals. There are some trees which can provide some shade from the sun.

MY DW and I have gone there a couple of times. We took a taxi there from the Dockyard on one of our more recent cruises to Bermuda and asked the driver to come back for us several hours later. You can take the #10 or #11 bus from Hamilton or St. George to get there also.

Archived