Seafood Restaurants in Homer - recommendations

mb6668

We will be going to Homer (for a land trip this time) next week. I have been trying to find restaurant suggestions in Homer, but haven't been able to find many. We all love seafood. Does anyone have any favorite seafood restaurants to recommend? Any other can't miss restaurants that might not be seafood? We will be there for 4 days, 3 nights.

Thanks!

I can't remember the name of the place we had fish and chips last year, but it was in the middle of the spit on the beach side and it was excellent. Im sure that doesn't help a lot but there are a few places along there that serve fish and chips etc if you are into that.

Having recently spent a week in Homer (second week of June) I can tell you some places that we particularly enjoyed - Cafe Cups has this lovely "Twisted Fettucine" which is about five different kinds of seafood over fettucine alfredo with fresh rasperries and hot peppers in the sauce. Sounds a little wierd, but very yummy! Also have eaten at Capt. Patties on the Spit - I loved the halibut and DH enjoyed the Kachemak Bay oysters. I understand that the restaurant at Lands End (the hotel at the end of the Spit) has some great seafood selections on their menu as well. I think it would be hard to go wrong at any of the seafood restaurants in Homer - with the abundance of seafood on their doorstep, literally, it would be impossible not to find something you'd enjoy.

If you are staying in or around Homer and have access to a kitchen, be sure to check out the Seafood Co-Op on the Spit (on the right side going out, just past the ice cream store) for fresh daily specials of wonderful fish and shell fish to take home and cook up for your meals. We did it every single day for a week for atleast one meal of the day - the crab legs were wonderfully sweet - just delicious! And my DH can't stop raving about the raw oysters. We also had halibut quite often, along with clams and muscles, and of course, salmon. Enjoy!

Having recently spent a week in Homer (second week of June) I can tell you some places that we particularly enjoyed - Cafe Cups has this lovely "Twisted Fettucine" which is about five different kinds of seafood over fettucine alfredo with fresh rasperries and hot peppers in the sauce. Sounds a little wierd, but very yummy! Also have eaten at Capt. Patties on the Spit - I loved the halibut and DH enjoyed the Kachemak Bay oysters. I understand that the restaurant at Lands End (the hotel at the end of the Spit) has some great seafood selections on their menu as well. I think it would be hard to go wrong at any of the seafood restaurants in Homer - with the abundance of seafood on their doorstep, literally, it would be impossible not to find something you'd enjoy.

If you are staying in or around Homer and have access to a kitchen, be sure to check out the Seafood Co-Op on the Spit (on the right side going out, just past the ice cream store) for fresh daily specials of wonderful fish and shell fish to take home and cook up for your meals. We did it every single day for a week for atleast one meal of the day - the crab legs were wonderfully sweet - just delicious! And my DH can't stop raving about the raw oysters. We also had halibut quite often, along with clams and muscles, and of course, salmon. Enjoy!

Thanks! The Seafood co-op sounds very interesting!

We were planning to include Homer in our cruise this time, but just don't have the time to get there.

A friend that lives in Alaska gave me two names in Homer. I have not eaten here, but she has numerous times.

Salty Dog

Fat Olive

We were planning to include Homer in our cruise this time, but just don't have the time to get there.

A friend that lives in Alaska gave me two names in Homer. I have not eaten here, but she has numerous times.

Salty Dog

Fat Olive

The Salty Dog is a dive a** bar. Funky, cool place but definitely NOT a place to eat. You need to take something from home-hat, t shirt, etc and hang it on the wall.

Fat Olives is too crowded, too "chain restaurant" IMHO.

The fish and chips place Assateague Island Princes mentioned is absolutely fantastic for a quick lunch or dinner. I am always going there and getting take out.

The Happy Face is a combination seafood/Chinese restaurant that has some of the best views on the Homer Spit. NOT fancy and on the second floor with a ramp for access. And they are getting more "chineesey" with their food (they are Chinese owned, so I guess it stands to reason). But their breakfasts are the best in Homer and they generally have halibut and other seafood on the menu. I have eaten their halibut strips quite a few times. The Fish and Chips place across the street has about the same quality and taste for the halibut strips but I like the view onto the boat harbor from the Happy Face. When I was there the first week in June, they had a lot of Chinese type stir fry's with different types of seafood. It is really known by the locals. Tourists rarely find it.

The Salty Dog is a dive a** bar. Funky, cool place but definitely NOT a place to eat. You need to take something from home-hat, t shirt, etc and hang it on the wall.

Fat Olives is too crowded, too "chain restaurant" IMHO.

The fish and chips place Assateague Island Princes mentioned is absolutely fantastic for a quick lunch or dinner. I am always going there and getting take out.

The Happy Face is a combination seafood/Chinese restaurant that has some of the best views on the Homer Spit. NOT fancy and on the second floor with a ramp for access. And they are getting more "chineesey" with their food (they are Chinese owned, so I guess it stands to reason). But their breakfasts are the best in Homer and they generally have halibut and other seafood on the menu. I have eaten their halibut strips quite a few times. The Fish and Chips place across the street has about the same quality and taste for the halibut strips but I like the view onto the boat harbor from the Happy Face. When I was there the first week in June, they had a lot of Chinese type stir fry's with different types of seafood. It is really known by the locals. Tourists rarely find it.

Thanks for the correction. I didn't pay attention to the heading... sorry. Guess I should have read it a little closer. Apparently both places are worth a visit as they have great reviews on yelp, and are recommended by locals as well as visitors.

So if you are wanting some good places to visit in Homer you might want to check out reviews on them for some spirits and great pizza. Wonder if they serve Halibut pizza like the pizza place in Icy Strait Point?

No one has mentioned The Saltry in Halibut Cove - involves a boat ride from Homer. I haven't eaten there but have reservation to eat there in two weeks.

Trip advisor (as stated before) has some great reviews of lots of places.

Archived