Booking a Guarantee State Room

I am interested to learn more about the Guarantee category and if folks have found it be helpful/cost savings. I recently saw a Guarantee for a the Suite Category on FOS. Does the Guarantee include all levels of rooms from JS to Presidential? Also, when does RC typically assign your cabin - when you have paid in full or when you are checking in? Once a room has been assigned to you is it possible to upgrade? Say you are placed in a JS, is it possible to move to the GS and pay the difference?

Curious as to how this has worked for others.

Thanks!

I am interested to learn more about the Guarantee category and if folks have found it be helpful/cost savings. I recently saw a Guarantee for a the Suite Category on FOS. Does the Guarantee include all levels of rooms from JS to Presidential? Also, when does RC typically assign your cabin - when you have paid in full or when you are checking in? Once a room has been assigned to you is it possible to upgrade? Say you are placed in a JS, is it possible to move to the GS and pay the difference?

Thanks!

We have booked guarantee staterooms a number of times and saved money by doing so. Our staterooms have been assigned after final payment, but well before the cruise. However, assignments could take until the day you show up for the cruise.

If you booked a "W" suite guarantee, it can be any stateroom from a JS and up. It is possible to upgrade if you pay the difference.

I have seen guarantee booking assign before final so you never know when it's going to happen.

You could be anywhere from JS upwards. Once assigned, you can move within the category assigned to another cabin if you like a different one better. If you wanted to move up to another category, you'll pay the difference up to the current pricing, which kind of defeats the purpose of the guarantee (if you were okay with the higher price why not book it to begin with?).

They don't always show up and often disappear.

ETA: If you want to upgrade, you would pay the difference between the guarantee price and the price of the category you want, not the price of the category in which you are placed.

I have seen guarantee booking assign before final so you never know when it's going to happen.

You could be anywhere from JS upwards. Once assigned, you can move within the category assigned to another cabin if you like a different one better. If you wanted to move up to another category, you'll pay the difference up to the current pricing, which kind of defeats the purpose of the guarantee (if you were okay with the higher price why not book it to begin with?).

They don't always show up and often disappear.

ETA: If you want to upgrade, you would pay the difference between the guarantee price and the price of the category you want, not the price of the category in which you are placed.

Because the price of the higher category may have come down since the guarantee was booked.:)

Are these correct assumptions?

1. If I book a W(Suite) GTY - I could be assigned any suite from JS up (ie, GS, or OS or higher)- and I pay only what I paid for the GTY?

2. AFTER I have a cabin assigned, I can change cabin location within the same category?

1. If I book a W(Suite) GTY - I could be assigned any suite from JS up (ie, GS, or OS or higher)- and I pay only what I paid for the GTY?

2. AFTER I have a cabin assigned, I can change cabin location within the same category?

Yes to both, as long as you have a US booking (for the change part). Not sure if Canadians can move within the category.

Yes and to add to Bob's comments -

As long as there are cabins left in the assigned category. We've been able to move to a more desirable ( to us) cabin, but then other times there were none left in our assigned category and we had to take what was assigned.

Expect the lowest cabin in the category – in your example a JS.

And a side note - C&A status has no effect on the cabin assignment.

If location ( particular floor/front/back ) or cabin sub category ( d1 vs e2) is important, a guarantee is not a good choice.

enjoy and good luck

M

We will be on Freedom in September. This will be our second time booking a guarantee balcony stateroom. We were assigned a room BEFORE we made final payment. In fact, we were assigned a room about 3 weeks from our booking date.

Our previous experience was on Independence. It was a great experience. We did it again for this trip, just to keep the cost down.

After all, compared to a week in the office, no stateroom is a bad stateroom. ;)

we always do guarantee.. its cheaper. We do interior though, cause we dont need a balcony.......... UNLESS YOU ARE GOING ON ALASKA CRUISE.. must have balcony.

Thanks!

Archived