Fashionable in Alaska?

Mousey - you are so right....I am planning to take DSs canon rebel w/ lenses. I have some 10x binocs but have read they aren't the best for on ship - so I don't know that I will have any, unless I can borrow some. So, giving up the thought of a single carry on. Besides, am traveling SWA so I don't have to pay for the checked bag.

I'm knitting earwarmers, actually an extra wide headband for glacier bay day. I almost forgot about that! I need to order a pair of gloves since its hard to find the ones I want in San Antonio in summer.

I will ALWAYS disagree about using/bringing an umbrella. I prefer to use my hands for other things (and not piss off those around me on narrow sidewalks) by using an umbrella- that's what waterproof hats & hoods are for:D

If you have big lenses, get waterproof covers/inserts for your camera bag too;)

I always go with a rain jacket and no umbrella. For my DSLR, I cut the corner out of a 2 gallon ziplock bag and slid it over the lense. Then secured it with a rubber band. It kept my camera dry and I could easily look through the view finder.

Lisa

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi everyone! I just found this site and I am in heaven! I love all the packing tips. I am doing an Alaskan Land and Sea in late August. My DH and I are avid cruisers(haven't figured out how to post them all to our profile:confused:) so packing has always been an issue. We have been to Alaska in May of 2011, weather was good but rainy and chilly. Does anyone have suggestions on what late August into the second week of September would need for packing? We do the cruise first and then the land second. Again, thanks and hello everyone:)

Hi everyone! I just found this site and I am in heaven! I love all the packing tips. I am doing an Alaskan Land and Sea in late August. My DH and I are avid cruisers(haven't figured out how to post them all to our profile:confused:) so packing has always been an issue. We have been to Alaska in May of 2011, weather was good but rainy and chilly. Does anyone have suggestions on what late August into the second week of September would need for packing? We do the cruise first and then the land second. Again, thanks and hello everyone:)

We did the same time frame last year and my biggest tip is to bring lots of layers and waterproof gloves. The weather was all over the place...30 degrees and snowing in Denali, drizzle on most days, sleet one day, foggy on several days, and sunny in Ketchikan. The only thing that I didn't pack was my waterproof ski gloves, and by Day 4 I was regretting that decision. The cruise portion I found to be much more casual than I am use to seeing in the evenings. I brought two LBD's (little black dresses) and changed them up with accessories.

Lisa

We did the same time frame last year and my biggest tip is to bring lots of layers and waterproof gloves. The weather was all over the place...30 degrees and snowing in Denali, drizzle on most days, sleet one day, foggy on several days, and sunny in Ketchikan. The only thing that I didn't pack was my waterproof ski gloves, and by Day 4 I was regretting that decision. The cruise portion I found to be much more casual than I am use to seeing in the evenings. I brought two LBD's (little black dresses) and changed them up with accessories.

Lisa

Thanks Lisa, I know the land part up in the Denali area is always questionable as it comes to weather. Your tips are much appreciated. My name is Ann, again many thanks.

When we did an Alaska cruise a few years ago, we started up by Fairbanks visiting family then drove south to get on the boat. We were the last cruise of the season on our boat (it sailed to Japan when we disembarked ;-) We had abnormally warm weather for almost the entire trip no matter where we were, so do make sure you have something you could wear if it's warm too. (we did have 30s & sleet in Skagway but it was almost 80 & sunny in Ketchikan, so...)

When we did an Alaska cruise a few years ago, we started up by Fairbanks visiting family then drove south to get on the boat. We were the last cruise of the season on our boat (it sailed to Japan when we disembarked ;-) We had abnormally warm weather for almost the entire trip no matter where we were, so do make sure you have something you could wear if it's warm too. (we did have 30s & sleet in Skagway but it was almost 80 & sunny in Ketchikan, so...)

Good point! I brought my zip off pants (turn into shorts) and was happy I had them in Ketchikan. Considering Ketchikan is a very rainy town, I find it funny that we both had sunny and warm days there in September. :)

Lisa

Am I reading this right? DON'T bring an umbrella on an Alaskan cruise? Heck, I just talked DH into buying an extra for him. Is this so it won't be in others' way, as to their viewing of scenery, walking on sidewalks, etc?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forums mobile app

Am I reading this right? DON'T bring an umbrella on an Alaskan cruise? Heck, I just talked DH into buying an extra for him. Is this so it won't be in others' way, as to their viewing of scenery, walking on sidewalks, etc?

While there are many people who don't go out in the rain without an umbrella, I am not one of them. I find they are something extra & annoying to hold on to, often get left behind, poke people on sidewalks, and I would prefer to use my hands to take photos or just hold my husband's hand.

I recognize my opinion is fairly unique around here, esp when it comes to AK, but I've traveled all over the place in rain & winter (as well as sun & rain:p) and I just don't use umbrellas. I have goretex coats with hoods and hats and those keep me plenty dry.

Home from our Alaskan cruise, and I will NEVER check, because it can be done in a carry-on! I didn't find myself missing anything and found that I didn't use some of the things that I packed. Layered apparel and evening wear for each day of the cruise (7 nights)--IT CAN BE DONE!

My husband did it, too! He agrees--we will never check.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forums mobile app

We took umbrellas on our Alaskan cruise and would do so again in a heartbeat. I also had a hooded jacket but the wind was blowing and I was glad I had the umbrella...instead of a blast of rain in my face.:eek: I didn't poke anyone in the face or anywhere else because I'm very considerate of other people and look where I'm going. Besides if someone is that close to me that responsibly using my umbrella would poke them, I'd feel they were invading my personal space. So my opinion would be to do whatever you feel is best as we all have our own ways of doing things and there is no one right/wrong way. My umbrella was study but folded up small enough to fit in my jacket's pocket when I didn't need it. As far as blocking someone's view...I only used the umbrella while walking in port and would never use one if blocking anyone's view were an issue. That definitely would be rude.

Edited by mousey

I have a question about nighttime attire. I know the temperature on the ship is like on any ship and if you don't go outside it doesn't matter but do you dress more for the temperature outside (more lightweight sweaters/ long sleeve tops) or do you just wear whatever you would wear at night on a cruise (sleeveless, strapless, etc)?

At night I dressed more casually than I do on my Caribbean cruises. Non formal nights I wore gray pants, knit short sleeve top, and a fashion scarf. On formal nights I wore a LBD. This had more to do with the airlines and the baggage fees than the cruise. If I needed a sweater, I just threw on my fleece jacket.

Lisa

I have a question about nighttime attire. I know the temperature on the ship is like on any ship and if you don't go outside it doesn't matter but do you dress more for the temperature outside (more lightweight sweaters/ long sleeve tops) or do you just wear whatever you would wear at night on a cruise (sleeveless, strapless, etc)?

It isn't so much the temperature, but rather the WIND at night...woo! Watch your skirts! :eek:

We packed dinner attire (both for non-formal and formal nights). Glad that I did, as the majority of those with whom we dined looked very nice each night. We were in Blu, so "smart casual" is every night, but formal wear was still present. Women wore typical evening dresses (not prom-like, but nice, cocktail party dresses) with perhaps a wrap to match the mountains outside. Men usually wore oxfords and on formal night jackets/blazers were everywhere.

We will be going on an Alaskan cruise on the Solstice. We have never been on an Alaskan cruise. We will be flying and so I will be trying to not over pack. I tend to take everything, but, I will try to limit my color choices to black and one other color for slacks for evening wear on the ship. We will be going May 1st next year. Would white..actually more of a winter white be okay for that time of the year in Alaska ? I haven't seen this question asked before, so, maybe the answer is no.

Also, I would like some suggestions, maybe from Frawnsay ( Melinda ) on how to get all your clothes into a carry on. I can't imagine doing that. Do you have a list of what you took for you and your husband ? We will be spending three days in the area prior to the cruise. Need all the help I can get.

We will be going on an Alaskan cruise on the Solstice. We have never been on an Alaskan cruise. We will be flying and so I will be trying to not over pack. I tend to take everything, but, I will try to limit my color choices to black and one other color for slacks for evening wear on the ship. We will be going May 1st next year. Would white..actually more of a winter white be okay for that time of the year in Alaska ? I haven't seen this question asked before, so, maybe the answer is no.

Also, I would like some suggestions, maybe from Frawnsay ( Melinda ) on how to get all your clothes into a carry on. I can't imagine doing that. Do you have a list of what you took for you and your husband ? We will be spending three days in the area prior to the cruise. Need all the help I can get.

I don't know what the dress code is on the Solstice because I've never cruised on any Celebrity ships. We were on the NCL Star for our Alaskan cruise and all I can say is that people dressed more casually than on any other cruise I've been on. People were more into being comfortable than being formally dressed even on "dress up or not nights." I took a mid-calf, denim, pencil skirt that I wore on two nights. One night I wore it with a beige, cable-knit, cotton sweater and on another night (the "dress up or not night" as it's called on NCL) I wore it with a silky, wrap-type, tunic blouse. Both nights I wore a pair of black, low-heeled pumps. I did a lot of layering of my clothes during the day. I'd wear a cami under a long-sleeve tee, with a pullover windbreaker, and a pair of jeans with tights under it. When it was really cold, I'd wear a water-proof, hooded coat over the windbreaker. I took a bathing suit to wear in the spa but never used it. I also took a pair of water-resistant boots, and a pair of flipflops to use as slippers and for the spa.

The thing that I found about Alaska, is that it's not so much about the ship and it's activities like on other cruises...it's more about the excursions you go on during the day and being on the decks of the ship; taking in all the beautiful, breathtaking scenery. So, I was well-prepared with warm scarves, gloves, and knit hats whenever I wanted to go outside, either on deck or land. I also found that most people didn't stay up really late in the evenings...most went to bed early in anticipation of the next day's excursions.

Our Alaskan cruise was absolutely amazing and I would recommend it to anyone. I hope your's is too.:D

Just another tip...your best accessory to have...the best pair of binoculars you can afford!

Hi, I have sailed to Alaska in May and September, although it has

been a few years since my last cruise there. And Celebrity is my

cruiseline of choice so I have been on them for many years. I can't

remember if ladies wore white or not but if you want to wear a

winter white, go for it.:)

I will tell you (in my opinion) layering is the way to go for an Alaskan

cruise.

As for daytime....very casual....jeans/pants/long sleeves

and I normally bring a jacket. I also bring a sweater or 2.

Evenings I wear the same type of clothing I wear on all my cruises....

I wear either, nice slacks and tops, skirts (and tops) and dresses.

I have found matte jersey is a wonderful material that can be dressed

up or down, never wrinkles and takes up very little space.

I am planning to go back to Alaska the week after you on Solstice

too:)...May 8th.......hope you have a great cruise:D

Cruisemates:), If you want to see more photos, just click on Flickr

in my signature......You will find lots of Albums.....

The ones to Alaska are from 2006, 2008 and 2009.....scroll through

and you will be able to see my eveningwear too (if you are interested);)

I would like some suggestions, maybe from Frawnsay ( Melinda ) on how to get all your clothes into a carry on. I can't imagine doing that. Do you have a list of what you took for you and your husband ? We will be spending three days in the area prior to the cruise. Need all the help I can get.

Sure thing! I think I posted a brief list earlier in this thread (I think it was this thread), but I will be happy to post pictures. I just posted my review and pics to FB and it took FOREVER! So, I may need a little time. :o

I would agree that layers are preferred. I read that over and over again prior to cruising, but it's true. I coordinated outfits with long sleeves, a 3/4 or short sleeve top, and an undershirt. Fresh undershirt each day, but repetitive long and 3/4-short sleeve tops. I also re-wore pants. SHOES...that was a trick, because they don't conform like shirts. I had to be extremely selective with what shoes to bring.

As others have also said, packing depends on your excursions. We did a hike, but that wasn't really intense. Had we planned rafting or something like that, it would have impacted my choices.

Here's what I brought in regards to clothing. And yes, it was all in my carry-on. The first outfit pictured (in second posted photo) was what I wore on the plane (to accommodate the hiking boots). I'll re-pack my bag (when I can get around to it) and share pics as well, if you would like.

I searched on CC for packing in carry-on, or maybe just carry-on, and it provided a thread with a links to youtube videos. Those were helpful.

This is a picture of my packing list; it was like my arsenal to pull from as I planned outfits for each day. I planned about a month out and adjusted as weather reports came out. I kept in mind excursions and sea days...

Slide2_zpsdaad6235.jpg

This is a picture of my daily outfits. No, I did not stick to this (weather and activities changed my mind), but this was close to what I wore. I also wore a dress or skirt to dinner each night, which is not pictured here, but it is on my inventory pic above.

Slide1_zps4ecedcd8.jpg

And, yes, I packed workout attire...and didn't use it once. ;)