Review-- radiance -- alaska- southbound-- july 5, 2013

OMG sounds like the same cruise I'm planning. We are doing the same excursion in Seward and I'm going to look at that float plane excusion. Do you remember the number.

We are getting the chef table package, I now have erased Rita's from our dining list. Probably will now just order dinner to our suite and watch the scenery go by.

I also book the Whale watch in IC, going to look now to going into town. I'll go anywhere for good crab

Sounds like Schooners is a must now.

Thanks so much for the review

I thought I would add my love for one excursion: Mysty Fjords. The origial poster said this time they stayed in town in Ketchikan - maybe they had done this excursion prior, but if you have not done it yet, I recommend a small cruise to Misty Fjords National Monument while in Ketchikan (I think they fly there too, but I did a small tourist cruise boat). The second time I went to Alaska on Vision of the Seas, the ship actually went up into the Misty Fjords one morning and spent a few hours slowly going through the fjords! It was on the itinerary for the cruise. It was amazing - ship was sooooooo close to the shore and cliffs, I was awe-struck. I never see any ship itinerary going up into Misty Fjords any more - so sad. I recommend seeing it. Does anyone know why they stopped going up in there...it was a rare experience I will never forget.

I thought I would add my love for one excursion: Mysty Fjords. The origial poster said this time they stayed in town in Ketchikan - maybe they had done this excursion prior, but if you have not done it yet, I recommend a small cruise to Misty Fjords National Monument while in Ketchikan (I think they fly there too, but I did a small tourist cruise boat). The second time I went to Alaska on Vision of the Seas, the ship actually went up into the Misty Fjords one morning and spent a few hours slowly going through the fjords! It was on the itinerary for the cruise. It was amazing - ship was sooooooo close to the shore and cliffs, I was awe-struck. I never see any ship itinerary going up into Misty Fjords any more - so sad. I recommend seeing it. Does anyone know why they stopped going up in there...it was a rare experience I will never forget.

In 2004/2005, when Serenade did the round trip Alaska cruises from Vancouver it included Misty Fjords as a regular part of it's itinerary. That was our first cruise to Alaska so we had already been there. It was a beautiful place, but not something I'd pay to see. IMHO.

We did that in 2005 on Serenade. I can barely remember it all. But Rhapsody does go to Tracy Arm Fjords and I remember it well. It was beautiful. We went right up to Dawes Glacier which although much smaller than Hubbard Glacier, I thought it may have been an even more special experience. We spent so much time there doing 360s a few times. It's definitely worth the round trip out of Seattle which includes a stop in Victoria which we really love.

Of course I love Radiance. But I thought the Rhapsody cruise was really special.

Gina

It was a pleasant surprise to finally have a decent Schooner Bar entertainer.

He and his wife were in the Concierge Lounge every night and we chatted with them a few times. Very nice people, and you're right, the Aussie's will love him.

Kelly's wife is off the ship right now but she will return next Friday in Vancouver for the remainder of his contract. Love them both.

Gina

In 2004/2005, when Serenade did the round trip Alaska cruises from Vancouver it included Misty Fjords as a regular part of it's itinerary. That was our first cruise to Alaska so we had already been there. It was a beautiful place, but not something I'd pay to see. IMHO.

I think what made it impressive is that the big ship got well up into the slender fjords so that cliffs were right at our balcony - I couldn't beleieve how close the cliffs looked. On the smaller ship it may not be such a feat, but it is picturesque if you have never seen it. Some pics so that you can see the closeness of the rock and green cliffs:

1377115648_MistyFjordsNM3.jpg.822a08a51266ac9269afe3e7ae51ab15.jpg

1116116586_MistyFjordsNM2.jpg.74b3231d4b3ad10e9d4b122c9919bb50.jpg

668878951_MistyFjordsNM.jpg.4db70482caf4c9bec7161011b8041bb8.jpg

We board the Radiance next Friday. Still scratching my head as what to pack in the suitcase the temperatures seem to be warm. Just wondering what you were wearing on a typical day. I don't want to overpack, wanting room in the suitcase to bring stuff home. Just packing the one suitcase and one carryon for cameras etc.

I know everyone says to layer, but wondering what type of layers. You mentioned cold on your Kenai Fjord tour. We are taking the 9 hour tour so we will be out all day.

Can you tell me a little more about your Haines tour? You posted the salmon were two weeks out. I am wondering if our timing would be perfect for this tour. Did you book this through the ship? Was the ferry crossing rough?

Layering tidbit. Think FLEECE!

Yes, it's a little poofy in the suitcase but weighs nothing. An extra layer of fleece will add tremendous warmth, picks up little moisture and drys quickly.

Have a great time!

Another Question,

I think I read that you were in a suite.

Were do the suite guest have Breakfast, last time we were on RCCL it was in Chops which was next to the WJ.

I was not in a suite this cruise. I had an E1, Balcony on the hump. My C&A Status gives me access to the Concierge lounge, and I mostly went there in the morning for coffee and some fruit. I'm not sure where they held the breakfast for the Suite's, but my guess is it's still Chop's.

Can you share how you decided on your transportation to seward? Was this through the cruise line? Thanks!

I booked this on my own. I knew I wanted to put everyone on the Domed Rail Cars, and RCCL only offers their rail cars if you're on a land tour. The cruise line does run a "transfer train" that is chartered from the Alaska Railroad and leaves in the afternoon from the airport train station. If you take this option, you'll be on the regular, non-domed Alaska Railroad cars, which are not very nice.

I also wanted to arrive in Seward early morning, and RCCL's train doesn't leave Anchorage until afternoon. The Alaska Railroad's train departed Anchorage at 645am and arrived into Seward at 1105am. This is the perfect time to arrive if you want to avoid huge lines at check in, which happen later in the day.

Another reason for booking the early train was we wanted to do some touring, rather than just going onboard and sitting around until the 8pm sailaway. We booked a 5 hour cruise to Fox Island with lunch and saw a ton of wildlife. We booked the train and tour as a package with Kenai Fjords Tours for $220.00 pp, just a little more than the cost of the Alaska Railroad Gold Star alone. In my review, I gave details of the transfer and tour as well as embarkation. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Archived