Our Week on The Breakaway 7/7/13

Thank you so much for your review. I am on the Aug 4th sailing and have been concerned with all of the negative postings. I love cruising but usually not with 4200 pax so am concerned about crowds. thanks for easing my mind :D

Thank you so much for your review. I am on the Aug 4th sailing and have been concerned with all of the negative postings. I love cruising but usually not with 4200 pax so am concerned about crowds. thanks for easing my mind :D

Honestly, other than the pool situation, and the fireworks display event, we never encountered any real crowds - not in the buffet, nor on the elevators or at the shows.

Thanks for the wonderful review. You had a few answers to some of the things I was still thinking about. I'm getting so excited for my Breakaway cruise!

Do you recall the hours for the mini golf course next to Snorkel park?

A 20 minute wait for the omelettes seems rather long, curious about what time were you attending the buffet for breakfast? Thanks!

Thanks for the wonderful review. You had a few answers to some of the things I was still thinking about. I'm getting so excited for my Breakaway cruise!

Do you recall the hours for the mini golf course next to Snorkel park?

A 20 minute wait for the omelettes seems rather long, curious about what time were you attending the buffet for breakfast? Thanks!

I know the mini golf course is open until 10 PM, while we were dining one night at La Cuccina looking out the window we saw the course all lit up. We are returning next week and we are definitely doing the mini golf at night. They have an outdoor bar there and every 6 holes you end up by the bar, we are thinking this will be a fun way to spend a night. Actually, they have a web site with pictures of the holes, believe it's called Fun Golf. Check it out.

Don't know exactly what time we went to breakfast, can for sure say it was not early..... probably 10:30ish. Seems that one side had the omelet station with just 2 pans going (that's the one I was on) and the station on the other side of the buffet I was told had a 3 pans. Caution: they put a ladle full of oil in the pan before each omelet, you can tell him "easy on the oil". They will also use fresh eggs if you ask (meaning they will crack the egg and beat it as opposed to using the liquid egg mixture which is the norm). OMG I feel like an omelet expert and I rarely eat them, lol.

Is the seafood take-out window thingy one of the included restaurants or a surcharge?

It's a la carte. Believe the lobster sandwich was something like $9 and the crab on toast was like $5.There are only about 6 items on the whole menu. They are not large portions, just small/medium-ish but very, very good. We had them as apps before going to lunch! It is take out, you order at the window and can go sit wherever you like (which is what we did) or there are outside tables and the waitress will come and take your order.

Did you find the location of cabin 8415 convenient? Was it quiet? We have reserved a neighboring cabin. We'll try to change cabins if there are major downsides to that location.

I loved the location just a walk down the hallway right to 678, the elevators and stairs. It was very very quiet on this end, It is in one of the off shoot hallways and we had a fantastic cabin steward, Anthony. I would not change if I were you.

I loved the location just a walk down the hallway right to 678, the elevators and stairs. It was very very quiet on this end, It is in one of the off shoot hallways and we had a fantastic cabin steward, Anthony. I would not change if I were you.

That is very helpful. Maybe we, too, will be lucky enough to have Anthony as our steward next month. It has been a long time since DH and I have sailed in an inside cabin, and I am a tad anxious about it. Knowing our cabin is a convenient, quiet location assuages a bit of my concern. Currently, the cost to upgrade to an OV or balcony is significant, and I'd rather spend all that money on something else.

Thank you for the info.

That is very helpful. Maybe we, too, will be lucky enough to have Anthony as our steward next month. It has been a long time since DH and I have sailed in an inside cabin, and I am a tad anxious about it. Knowing our cabin is a convenient, quiet location assuages a bit of my concern. Currently, the cost to upgrade to an OV or balcony is significant, and I'd rather spend all that money on something else.

Thank you for the info.

Our last 4 NCL cruises these past 2 years have been in Suites! Needless to say I like you was very concerned about doing an inside:eek:

Honestly, it was not an issue. After the initial shock of a small, dark dwelling, and I did feel this smack me in the face when we entered the cabin, we totally acclimated to our environment and it was a non-issue. We were on the go most of the time as we usually are on cruises and the quiet darkness made our daily afternoon naps quite the escape.

Now I don't know if being Platinum made the transition somewhat seamless, I know it didn't hurt having concierge services, but we had no regrets saving the money on an inside. In fact, we are sailing the Dawn this Friday, and again no suite for us, just a measly inside, but this time I am not anxious about it:)

This is the type of review that makes me want to try the Breakaway, unlike the other complainer posts that make everyone nervous about the ship. Thank you for your fresh perspective.

I think the hard part for me resigning myself to the fact that the pool on this ship is just not "available" to someone like me who hates crowds. But I don't see this as strictly a Breakaway issue. It was like people soup on the Gem too. The only day I went into the pool was at 9:30 in the morning after breakfast one day when there were only three other families there. Interestingly enough all the loungers were taken up by towels, even so early, and it was so weird being the only few people there so early with nowhere to sit. I did "steal" one lounger earlier in the week for my son and I, after standing there watching him in the kid soup for an hour, when I spied a lounger being held by a mere bottle of zyrtec. So I asked the young ladies next to it was theirs and they said no... So my son and I shared the lounger to eat lunch. That really is no way to enjoy the pool. So that is why we decided to go so early the next time.

My point is the pool situation is not just a problem the Breakaway, even though it is a larger ship. Trying to remember that so it doesn't discourage me from trying the Breakaway sometime.

Thanks for your review!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Our last 4 NCL cruises these past 2 years have been in Suites! Needless to say I like you was very concerned about doing an inside:eek:

Honestly, it was not an issue. After the initial shock of a small, dark dwelling, and I did feel this smack me in the face when we entered the cabin, we totally acclimated to our environment and it was a non-issue. We were on the go most of the time as we usually are on cruises and the quiet darkness made our daily afternoon naps quite the escape.

Now I don't know if being Platinum made the transition somewhat seamless, I know it didn't hurt having concierge services, but we had no regrets saving the money on an inside. In fact, we are sailing the Dawn this Friday, and again no suite for us, just a measly inside, but this time I am not anxious about it:)

It is so kind of you to share so many of your experiences. The positive review and cabin feedback have made me feel much better. And the tip about the quality of food from the seafood window is also appreciated; I doubt we would have thought to try it without your input. Of all the money saved on the inside cabin, we will be sure to spend some of it on seafood. And perhaps some extra drinks. And a nicer tour in Bermuda.

We are also Platinum, and no doubt the perks will sweeten the experience. Honestly, we do not often use the concierge services. Perhaps I am missing out. How did the concierge help you?

This is the type of review that makes me want to try the Breakaway, unlike the other complainer posts that make everyone nervous about the ship. Thank you for your fresh perspective.

I think the hard part for me resigning myself to the fact that the pool on this ship is just not "available" to someone like me who hates crowds. But I don't see this as strictly a Breakaway issue. It was like people soup on the Gem too. The only day I went into the pool was at 9:30 in the morning after breakfast one day when there were only three other families there. Interestingly enough all the loungers were taken up by towels, even so early, and it was so weird being the only few people there so early with nowhere to sit. I did "steal" one lounger earlier in the week for my son and I, after standing there watching him in the kid soup for an hour, when I spied a lounger being held by a mere bottle of zyrtec. So I asked the young ladies next to it was theirs and they said no... So my son and I shared the lounger to eat lunch. That really is no way to enjoy the pool. So that is why we decided to go so early the next time.

My point is the pool situation is not just a problem the Breakaway, even though it is a larger ship. Trying to remember that so it doesn't discourage me from trying the Breakaway sometime.

Thanks for your review!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Oh my goodness, people soup, I love it! That is so funny, I must steal that from you if you don't mind.

Honestly though, I agree that most, if not all, summer cruises on main lines all have the same pool and lounge chairs right near the pool problem. This is something I anticipate and try not let it bother.

I will share with you now, which I neglected (intentionally btw) to include in my review - DH and I brought along these very cool beach chairs, they are mats with a back that is positional. They are very lightweight and even have a shoulder strap and storage pouch for towel and keeping things dry. We had a large suitcase and laid them flat on the bottom for transport. They were great to have. We brought them to the beaches (not to save money on rentals, though we did, but because I was hearing reports how crowded horseshoe was and if you get there late they can sometimes run out of chairs and we are not early risers) and we were even able to use them on the pool decks so we could sit somewhere. All those who saw them said, Ingenius! I will attempt to fetch a link to them and post now, but there is a chance I will close this post accidentally as I am not that we'll versed with tricks on my iPad. Okay here goes:

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Padded-Adjustable-Reclining-Backrest/dp/B0065QCAQA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374711545&sr=8-2&keywords=beach+mat+with+backrest

Hooray, I believe I'm getting the hang of it!

It is so kind of you to share so many of your experiences. The positive review and cabin feedback have made me feel much better. And the tip about the quality of food from the seafood window is also appreciated; I doubt we would have thought to try it without your input. Of all the money saved on the inside cabin, we will be sure to spend some of it on seafood. And perhaps some extra drinks. And a nicer tour in Bermuda.

We are also Platinum, and no doubt the perks will sweeten the experience. Honestly, we do not often use the concierge services. Perhaps I am missing out. How did the concierge help you?

I find the most valuable benefit of a concierge is access! They can get things done and get you where you want to go, on board reservations and off ship places as well. The more I use them, the more I tip them, so it's a give and take relationship, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
We are serious about the 2 day on Jan 17th. The 17th is my birthday, I will be 39 again!

Jim

Okay, we completed the Dawn and had a great time. I am hoping you see this thread since I will be calling CAS next week to get a price for the January 17th sailing..... if I like the numbers they give me we will be joining you guys!

Oh my goodness, people soup, I love it! That is so funny, I must steal that from you if you don't mind.

Honestly though, I agree that most, if not all, summer cruises on main lines all have the same pool and lounge chairs right near the pool problem. This is something I anticipate and try not let it bother.

I will share with you now, which I neglected (intentionally btw) to include in my review - DH and I brought along these very cool beach chairs, they are mats with a back that is positional. They are very lightweight and even have a shoulder strap and storage pouch for towel and keeping things dry. We had a large suitcase and laid them flat on the bottom for transport. They were great to have. We brought them to the beaches (not to save money on rentals, though we did, but because I was hearing reports how crowded horseshoe was and if you get there late they can sometimes run out of chairs and we are not early risers) and we were even able to use them on the pool decks so we could sit somewhere. All those who saw them said, Ingenius! I will attempt to fetch a link to them and post now, but there is a chance I will close this post accidentally as I am not that we'll versed with tricks on my iPad. Okay here goes:

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Padded-Adjustable-Reclining-Backrest/dp/B0065QCAQA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374711545&sr=8-2&keywords=beach+mat+with+backrest

Hooray, I believe I'm getting the hang of it!

Wonderful !!!! Thank you. I have never seen the mat, only the low beach chair.

I am going to buy them for our next trip.

The chair hogs must have loved that.....lol Bring your own chairs and plop them down.....LOVE it..... Thanks again....Great idea.....

We are booked for the 17th, hope you can join us. How did the Dawn cruise compare to the Breakaway?

Scott and I both had a great cruise on the Dawn. I really have to get to writing a review. We met some very wonderful people (as we did with you guys on Breakaway) and really enjoyed Bermuda again. However, we both agreed the BA was pretty amazing and the Dawn paled in comparison......

With that said, we are joining you guys on Jan. 17th! Just booked it today. Even booked our same cabin, lol! I will come on over to the roll call.

I also booked the June 29, 2014 Breakaway sailing, this time a balcony. Maybe you kids want to do that cruise with us as well, I started a roll call for it:D

Archived