Review of Premium Beverage Package on Allure (June 30 sailing)

Just back from the IOS having bought the premium drinks package for our 14 nighter.

My experience was basically same as the OP, but not once did we ever have to sign anything. Server just took the card, swiped it and handed it back with the drink.

Twice though we found charges for drinks on our Seapass account, but these were quickly removed with an apology by Guest Services who mentioned staff error when this happened.

All in all, great package, and we would certainly do that again.

We had the premium package on Oasis in June and found it to be just as the original poster wrote. Because there were 9 of us in the MDR each night, our bar server only took our cards once-- he must have written our numbers down or something! We really liked being able to order whatever we wanted and signing the slip is not a big deal at all. The house wines were fine-- however we did add the wine pairing when we dined at CP 150-- which I did not think it was worth an extra $75/ person.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This is correct, but as far as the water is concerned I would comment that we did not really feel like we missed out on not having bottled water. The tap water on the ship was fine and we asked our stateroom attendant to bring ice every evening so we could have ice water in the cabin. At every restaurant and bar they will give you a glass of ice water for free. So we did not feel that we needed a lot of bottled water. If you do want to have a lot of bottled water on board you can purchase a case of water for $6 at Publix and put a luggage tag on it and it will be delivered to your room on embarkation day.

At breakfast venues it was our experience that you can get fresh squeezed juices as part of the breakfast - the MDR for example. And all bottled juices are available as mixers for drinks at the bars with the package.

For coffee drinks you cannot get drinks like lattes on the beverage package but you can order a side shot of something like Baileys and then put it in your included coffee.

We have no problem drinking tap water. But there are times when leaving on an excursion that I forget my Nalgene water bottle. On board Celebrity, the ultimate drink package comes to the rescue.

I am not too interested in adding alcohol to my espresso or cappuccino. But I do like a double shot of caffeine at least once a day. Celebrity offers this with their drink package.

We have yet to sail with RCL. There is a sailing next summer that visits certain ports that Princess or Celebrity does not offer. I like the itinerary, the dates, and the price; Hence, why I am asking about the drink package.

We had this package on Celebrity last year. One thing to watch out for is that if the ship is in port or within the territorial waters of a country, you may have to pay the sales taxes of the country you are close to when you order a drink. When we embarked in Barcelona, we were charged sales tax for our first drink as we were still in port.

Not all countries have a sales tax. Look for a sign on the bar top indicating that there is a tax to be paid or ask the bartender. Some bartenders will tell you about the tax before you order, others will not mention it.

We had this package on Celebrity last year. One thing to watch out for is that if the ship is in port or within the territorial waters of a country, you may have to pay the sales taxes of the country you are close to when you order a drink. When we embarked in Barcelona, we were charged sales tax for our first drink as we were still in port.

Not all countries have a sales tax. Look for a sign on the bar top indicating that there is a tax to be paid or ask the bartender. Some bartenders will tell you about the tax before you order, others will not mention it.

Yes, 1 or 2 years ago, Spain passed this particular 8% law. It is called the VAT tax.

Thank you very much for this in-depth summary of this product. I have been on the edge about this for months for our honeymoon cruise. It's the southern Aruba route so many port days, but still the idea of being able to try new drinks without worrying about the cost is the most attractive thing about this offer to us.

Let me add my thanks to the OP for such a great review. We too had the package on the western allure sailing a few weeks before theirs and echo just about everything they had to say. We are really glad we tried it, but have decided unless it is a similar itinerary (not a lot of port days) will probably skip it next time.

OP hits it right on the head. Had the package on my FOS cruise. As far as the wine goes, I did not think it was all that bad. Ate at Portifinos twice, first night got to know our waiter and asked if he could do a little better than house wine. Said he would take care of it. Don't know what we got, but it was really good. Second night same thing, Had two more glasses before we finished out first. Food was great also. Although we enjoyed the package, probably wont do again. Being on the other side of 65, we just cant drink like we used to. When we do we pay the price. LOL :o

We also didn't have to sign slips for our drinks which was nice. We don't regret buying the package and will buy it on the Quantum in 2015 - especially with having 5 days at sea and Labadee as a stop. Never had any issues getting drinks and I tried some new drinks just because I didn't need to worry about the bar tab.

Just back from the IOS having bought the premium drinks package for our 14 nighter.

My experience was basically same as the OP, but not once did we ever have to sign anything. Server just took the card, swiped it and handed it back with the drink.

Twice though we found charges for drinks on our Seapass account, but these were quickly removed with an apology by Guest Services who mentioned staff error when this happened.

All in all, great package, and we would certainly do that again.

• 2 months later...

Thanks to the OP for a wonderful review. I am definitely going to get the package for my solo Allure cruise this December. At home, I am not a big drinker usually because I drive a decent distance to go out and don't want to chance getting pulled over.

On vacation, I like to try new things. This will be my first time cruising where there is a package available. I don't drink wine or beer due to allergies. And, when I do drink, I can only stand premium brands of liquor. If I didn't get the package, I probably would drink the cost of the package. Normally, I would only buy drinks that I know that I like. Having the package, I plan on trying a lot of new cocktails. If I don't like them, it won't be a big deal because I can order another and not feel as if I am out of money.

I am only planning one excursion in Cozumel, Jamaica - I may spend an hour in port, Labadee - no matter what I do, the drink package covers cocktails there.

Wish it were like Celebrity including the specialty coffee and bottled water. But, I will survive. I have no problem paying extra for either. I may try to buy a case of water and see if it gets through before I buy a water package.

I am going to enjoy not having to worry about what I spend on alcohol and trying things the I never would have.

Thanks again OP!

We are considering it- the way I look at it, I just checked and it would cost about $800 to add it- so $800/$10- I'm using $10 as an average price as with a tip, you would prob pay around that- that is 80 drinks- divide that by 2- So 40- take that 40 each/7 days and you get 5.7- so would we have 5-6 drinks a day- well we would prob have 4 without much trouble, so adding a couple more, with the ability to try new things...might be worth it...

Archived