TSA & security money pouches

margeecruiser

I travel frequently and often solo. I have a zipper pocket in the bottom of my carry on bag where I put some of my cash, credit cards, ID etc. I have another zipper pocket in my travel blazer. Little of value is in my actual purse. If I can carrying a money pouch, it stays in the hidden area of my carry on bag until I can get through the TSA and to a rest room to redress in private.

I have my needed ID and my boarding pass in one hand when I go through the TSA screening machine. I have nothing on me or in my pockets that would slow down the process. I keep my glasses on so I can see what is going on.

When I get to the gray bin area of the TSA, I put my shoes, 3,1,1 baggie, my travel blazer, my purse into a bin. My carry on bag is small but I put it on the moving belt.

I keep my eyes on my stuff as much as possible and make haste over to the part of the TSA luggage screening machine to watch my stuff come out.

I came within secords of having my purse stolen at a TSA checkpoint at DFW airport but started screaming 'my bag STOP' the instant I saw on someone else's arm. The TSA people tried to talk me out of it saying 'so many purses look alike'.

You have to look out for yourself.

Excellent advice from Penny! I do much the same except my money pouch is in my travel vest. My husband and I both wear these. The best thing about them is that you have your money, credit cards and passport already in place and ready to go through the TSA monitor. You do not call attention to yourself fumbling to put things in a place to go through scanner and you slip the vest back on in a single motion not at all signaling where the "good stuff" is stuffed in. I usually then go about my business and when needed I return to a restroom and privately rearrange me. If I have forgotten to remove something and it shows up on the body scan machine, I tell the female official that I want to be hand scanned and I tell her where I keep my pouch. Only once did she actually make me remove it. This is why I have gone back to the vest designed for travel -- easy off easy on.

I have to laugh at myself. Last time through I had a screen bonanza: one android phone, one laptop, one flip phone, 2 kindles, and a tablet! All to just entertain me on the flight. Because there is about 1/2 an hour at the start of the flight when screens are off, I started a paperback and got so interested that I didn't turn a single screen on the whole flight!

Sooo the young woman next to me said she didn't carry her laptop in her carryon because it was too much trouble to get it screened. She just locked it in her suitcase and she has the only key so it is safe:eek::D For once in my life, I just stamped my lips together and smiled back at her.

I don't believe in being paranoid; but I don't believe in tempting the devil either.

You can't have anything on your person when you go through security, so best bet is to have everything in a carry on and arrange yourself how you like after security's done.

Of course I brought a bunch of change with me down to PR, which I needed for the busses, and the TSA gave me a hard time for having some many coins grouped together in my carry on.

Bowie MeMe, I have vests and wear one when traveling on my own, but when traveling for my employer I have to stick to the dress code which is a blazer, blouse, dress slacks/ skirt (the dress pants are fairly recent), nice shoes and matching purse. Long flight or short, there we are..... overdressed. Men have their own dress code which does not include a dress!

Over the years we've been mistaken for air crews on several airlines.

For many decades I carried a stash of cash and my jewelry in my bra. No longer possible to do that.

In retirement my travel vests will get a great deal of use.

Bowie MeMe, I have vests and wear one when traveling on my own, but when traveling for my employer I have to stick to the dress code which is a blazer, blouse, dress slacks/ skirt (the dress pants are fairly recent), nice shoes and matching purse. Long flight or short, there we are..... overdressed. Men have their own dress code which does not include a dress!

Over the years we've been mistaken for air crews on several airlines.

For many decades I carried a stash of cash and my jewelry in my bra. No longer possible to do that.

In retirement my travel vests will get a great deal of use.

I do understand. So glad you look so out of place on the plane:p. I also have a "uniform" or loose knit pants, compression socks and black Merrill wave clogs, and a knit 3/4 sleeved shirt. Somebody was mentioning that you should wear 'natural" fabrics that will not melt onto the skin in fire. Thought there. I have a long string on a neck pouch that I attach to the bra strap and then tuck the pocket on the side of the bra under my arm. It is very comfortable with certain bras (the ones that I choose to fly in) and I hate it when I forget to tuck the "neck bank" into the vest or purse or wherever that it rides for TSA. There it is on the screen and then you have a problem! Happy travels and soon they will only be for your own happy! Retirement is the greatest!

I'm being bad here! Do they bother ladies or others :p with uplifting bras or ones that ladies have after certain surgeries? money in your breast form bra?:rolleyes:

Yes, they do grope women with certain bras and after mastectomies. Documented cases over on the Flyertalk website. One publicized case concerned an Alaska state senator and how she was treated. Anecdotal accounts of women with breast prosthesis having issues are around.

Before the nude-o-scopes, I was once pulled aside for having an underwire bra on when I went through the WTMD at Phoenix. The clerk yelled it at the top of her lungs for all to hear that I had an underwire. I've never worn an underwire bra for air travel since then.

Archived