Partial Panama Canal---Locks excursion or stay on ship??

Liesel

• 3 weeks later...

On the tour to see the Indians, I have a couple of questions. Do you leave the boat before you enter the canal and return when it exits?

Do the dugout canoes have any shaded area ?

/

;

Edited by kylea_s

Can't speak to the boats but at least on the partial, all tours leave via tender from Gatun lake after the first locks transit. The ship will exit the canal while you are on tour and you will meet it at the docks.

On the tour to see the Indians, I have a couple of questions. Do you leave the boat before you enter the canal and return when it exits?

Do the dugout canoes have any shaded area ?

We were on the Coral in February for this cruise.

We took the tour of Panama City--very interesting to see--the new buildings are unbelievable.

It is a fairly long bus ride there and back.

The duty free liquor store at the port was one of the cheapest we have seen! We wish we would have bought another bottle of rum.

Dinner tablemates said that the tour on the ferry through the canal was interesting but absolutely no time to shop. They were hustled back aboard ship and believed they were the last group back.

Do the dugout canoes have any shaded area?

;

No they don't, take a look at the short video below (not mine) it will give you a good idea of the craft used. There are people using umbrellas to provide shade, can't speak to this being universally done or not. In most cases if you are concerned about the sun, long sleeves and a good hat will do the trick. The length of the cayuco (canoe) ride can vary depending on which village is visited, but the forward motion will provide you with a comfortable breeze.

The small boat tour was excellent except for one thing. It was a great way to get up close to the side of the locks, see and get information about the building of the new locks. My one complaint was the lack of water and beverages. They came around once to hand out small water bottles but after that, there was nothing. Not even inside where they served lunch. They handed out more water at the tip bucket as we left the boat. :( If I'd known there would be so little to drink, I would have brought bottles of water with me. It's hot and humid so you get very thirsty.

I totally agree, the small boat trip was great and well worth it. We didn't have the water issues so that may have been an isolated incident. I'd do it again.