Partial Panama Canal---Locks excursion or stay on ship??

Liesel

We are planning a cruise on Coral Princess in January of 2014 to the Panama Canal - Round trip. I guess that means partial.

A few years ago we went to the Panama Canal with Royal Caribbean. At that time nothing was ever mentioned about PARTIAL–at least I don’t think so. When going through the locks we stayed on the ship and could see everything. Then when the ship turned around, we went off and did some shopping near the pier.

This time we are going with Princess and friends who have never been to the Canal. I would pretty much like to stay on board again. But with this itinerary I am not quite sure if you get to see as much or if it would be better to take the 6 hr locks excursion. It seems that a lot of people here really like that excursion.

Any pros and cons?

My first question is why you would take a partial transit that does not give you the full canal experience twice? Makes no sense to me but I assume that you must have a good reason.

That said, I would do the excursion, especially if your partial transit is east to west. The best part of the canal is the portion from Gatun Lake to the Pacific where you go through the narrow cuts and more locks. Also, the experience of going through the locks in a small ship has got to be really cool.

DON

I've been to the Panama Canal several times, most recently last October. I've stayed on the ship three times, taken the railroad one time and in October, did the small boat transit.

The train trip was a big waste of money since you can't see much of the Canal through the trees, and you have to sit on the correct side of the train to even get glimpses. Those on the Canal side would stand up and block the view from the window so if you're on the "wrong" side, you see very little.

The small boat tour was excellent except for one thing. It was a great way to get up close to the side of the locks, see and get information about the building of the new locks. My one complaint was the lack of water and beverages. They came around once to hand out small water bottles but after that, there was nothing. Not even inside where they served lunch. They handed out more water at the tip bucket as we left the boat. :( If I'd known there would be so little to drink, I would have brought bottles of water with me. It's hot and humid so you get very thirsty.

I have taken 2 full transits and 2 partial transits on Princess. On the partial transit the ship enters the Atlantic Locks early in the morning, about 6AM. It takes a few hours to get through. Once through the locks the ship sits and waits in Gatun Lake. In the afternoon it exits the locks and docks in Colon where you can exit the ship and look around the shopping on the pier. If you watch the activities going through the locks to me that is enough. No need to see it again from another vantage point. However, Princess runs 10 or so tours in Panama. There are lock tours, train tours, Panama City tours, nature and active tours, and my favorite the Embera Indian tour. You can only leave the ship in Gatun Lake if you are on a Princess tour. No private tours. I would consider one of these tours, since you already saw the locks. We did the tours in red.

To respond to the previous post "My first question is why you would take a partial transit that does not give you the full canal experience twice? Makes no sense to me but I assume that you must have a good reason."

Here are a few reasons, limited time off, cost, don't like to fly, cost of flying, easy drive and park in Fort Lauderdale.

I would definitely take AN excursion, the question is which one...

We did the small boat out to the Pacific. Yes, it was cool to say we had been on both oceans in the same day and you got a great up close view of how everything operates, but it was a long trip and honestly got a bit boring by the end. IF you are planning a full transit in the future, I might consider a different one (with one caveat, its very likely when the new locks open bigger ships will be used, so there may not be the option to see the original and very impressive locks).

If I was going again tomorrow, I would do the Embera indians.

BTW - Yes, round trip usually means partial. If its 10 days, or so - Partial, 13 days is, full transit normally.

Edited by Loonbeam

There are a couple of "pros" to consider if you take the tour that takes you through the two Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut. While not trying to sell the Atlantic Locks (Gatun) short, the bulk of the eye candy is on the Pacific side. You will have locked through all the locks on the Panama Canal, passed under two impressive bridges and transited the Gaillard Cut, which is where the bulk of the excavation took place in both the French effort and US completion of the Canal. As you sail through the "Cut," crossing the Continental Divide just think back what went on just a 100 years ago..... over a hundred steam shovels loading 200 spoil trains every day. Now a days it probably take that much effort just to haul the environmental impact statement;):).

Another "pro" is seeing the lock operations from two completely different perspectives. It really is something to see as you move into and through the locks from your Panamax cruise ship and then be able to see the operation from the smaller "ferry." A great way to be able to compare the operation, very easy to do on the partial transit cruise.

It's a pleasant drive to and from the Pacific side, you get to see some more of the country to boot. Even though you will have been through a large portion of the Canal, you still we need to come back and do the Canal in its' entirety. The Gatun Lake portion of the Canal, the part you will not transit on this tour, is a treat as well.

Embers Indians was one of the most interesting tours we have taken anywhere.

I second that suggestion. We did a private tour (can't remember with whom) and there were only the 2 of us on the tour. Much better than the cruise ship cattle call.

DON

We did the round trip canal cruise in April on the Island. We didn't do the full transit because that would have involved flying back to Florida from California and an extra 4 days on the ship - both expenses I wasn't interested in incurring - and flying - forget it. So we took the ferry excursion tha picked us up at the Gatun Yacht Club and took us to a ferry by bus where we traveled s all the way through all of the locks to the Pacific. It was FABULOUS. So up close and just a great trip. There was always plenty of free refreshments available the entire excursion. There were six if us and we all loved it. I would do it again. Just my opinion though. Barb

I agree with those who recommend the small boat excursion through the Pacific locks. It seems to me that it would be a great shame to get this close and then not to complete the entire canal. With this excursion, it is a full transit - not a partial transit.

I also agree that the viewpoint from the small boat is much different than that from the ship.

Thank you for all your great response. I ran all these great suggestions by my friends, who have never been to the Panama Canal, and we all decided to stay on the ship and enjoy the locks that way.

To respond to the post "My first question is why you would take a partial transit that does not give you the full canal experience twice? Makes no sense to me but I assume that you must have a good reason."

My reason: This cruise takes 11 nights. That for me is already 4 nights longer than I like to be on a ship. The main reason for me is this particular cruise leaves from Ft.Lauderdale and returns there. For some reason all other cruise lines are going for the 15 nights full transit now.

We are from Michigan and flying to Florida is easier. I don't like to fly to and from the West cost. Just had a nightmare of a round trip to San Jose, CA.

Just to be sure you are aware, if you take an excursion, you will see the locks on the way in. On the way out you will see the same locks in operation. During the day, you will sit at anchor in a lake until the ship turns around.

It's a great, relaxing way to spend a day, but just be aware there will not be a lot of activity.

Also note the port where the ship picks up tour passengers does NOT have a lot there (2 shops if I recall)

Thank you for all your great response. I ran all these great suggestions by my friends, who have never been to the Panama Canal, and we all decided to stay on the ship and enjoy the locks that way.

To respond to the post "My first question is why you would take a partial transit that does not give you the full canal experience twice? Makes no sense to me but I assume that you must have a good reason."

My reason: This cruise takes 11 nights. That for me is already 4 nights longer than I like to be on a ship. The main reason for me is this particular cruise leaves from Ft.Lauderdale and returns there. For some reason all other cruise lines are going for the 15 nights full transit now.

We are from Michigan and flying to Florida is easier. I don't like to fly to and from the West cost. Just had a nightmare of a round trip to San Jose, CA.

Just chiming in: I took the canal boat excursion and I highly recommend it (I did it in 2011). You do not really see the locks if you are in a cruise ship because you are so high. In the boat, you are right in a lock, it's towering over you. You see what the water is doing. And I agree, all the good stuff or at least most is on the Pacific side (2 locks, the Cut, a lot more to see on the new canal excavation, Panama City … I would highly recommend.

Edited by Wehwalt

I have made 4 transits (full) of the canal, so I never had to pick what to do while the ship was anchored in the Lake. However, unless it is an unusual day it will be VERY hot being outside on the ship at anchor. (It is hot enough while moving through the canal and lake.) Therefore, most of your day will be spent sitting inside in a very scenic, interesting area. Going all that way I would strongly suggest doing something off the ship that day with all the options that are apparently available according to this thread. For me to sit inside the ship for the day would be a total waste of a wonderful opportunity and a costly way to spend my time. However, others will certainly disagree with my last thought. However, few who have actually made the cruise would question my comment about the heat you will experience that day on deck at anchor.

Back again - I did the partial transit the first couple of times (as I don't recall the ferry being offered) and frankly it was somewhat boring as you see the same locks going in and going out. It's nice to go in one set of locks on the cruise ship but frankly that is enough. You really get to experience the canal and how it works up close and personal on the ferry. You can actually touch the sides. Floating around Gatun Lake is just a hot boring float around a big man made lake with not much to see. If you stay on board you then go to Colon which is a big nothing - simply a hot, crowded shopping mall with shops and more shops and tons of junky souvenirs. Really boring. If you want to really experience the full canal do the excursion. Plus you get to see Panama City and the Panamanian countryside on the ac ride back.

It was such an exciting feeling to exit that last lock and enter the Pacific and the fabulous breeze that greeted you. Just think you were in the Atlantic and Caribbean in the morning and a few hours later you are cruising the Pacific. Fabulous!

Again - just my opinion but if this is a one time deal, you might want to rethink your choice. They serve lunch on the ferry and you have a guide talking you thru the trip explaining everything you are seeing and giving you some history. Great!

If you stay on board you then go to Colon which is a big nothing - simply a hot, crowded shopping mall with shops and more shops and tons of junky souvenirs.

I do not believe "mall" this exists anymore.

I have taken 2 full transits and 2 partial transits on Princess. On the partial transit the ship enters the Atlantic Locks early in the morning, about 6AM. It takes a few hours to get through. Once through the locks the ship sits and waits in Gatun Lake. In the afternoon it exits the locks and docks in Colon where you can exit the ship and look around the shopping on the pier. If you watch the activities going through the locks to me that is enough. No need to see it again from another vantage point. However, Princess runs 10 or so tours in Panama. There are lock tours, train tours, Panama City tours, nature and active tours, and my favorite the Embera Indian tour. You can only leave the ship in Gatun Lake if you are on a Princess tour. No private tours. I would consider one of these tours, since you already saw the locks. We did the tours in red.

To respond to the previous post "My first question is why you would take a partial transit that does not give you the full canal experience twice? Makes no sense to me but I assume that you must have a good reason."

Here are a few reasons, limited time off, cost, don't like to fly, cost of flying, easy drive and park in Fort Lauderdale.

Agree. We are taking another partial transit this Oct. Since we live in South Florida it is easy for us to board in Ft Lauderdale... I don't have to fly and I really don't care about the ports of call on the Pacific side. I'm sure the locks are just great coming East, but I think I can forego that for the convenience. Just happy cruising. This time the Island Princess.

I have done both the partial and a full transit. I found the shore excursions on the partial far more interesting than on the full transit.

Thanks for that info. Now I'm really happy about my choice to do the partial transit once again. Ft. Lauderdale is just so convenient.

:D

I agree with those who recommend the small boat excursion through the Pacific locks. It seems to me that it would be a great shame to get this close and then not to complete the entire canal. With this excursion, it is a full transit - not a partial transit.

I also agree that the viewpoint from the small boat is much different than that from the ship.

We have done about 5 Canal cruises with different lines. Some partial some full transit. We find the full transit B2B the best way to see the whole workings. If you have a balcony and keep the same cabin, you see it from both sides. We never get tired of that fabulous work and now you can see the new construction before it is due to be completed in 2015. 2014 is the 100th anniversary.

Even though you and your cruise partners are going to stay on the ship for the return trip through Gatun Locks, just thought I would provide you with some more food for thought. Even though the roundtrip through Gatun will provide you with an excellent picture on the workings of the Locks, you will be a little short changed when it comes to getting a good glimpse of the entire Canal. The in and out at Gatun will provide you with about 9 miles of the Canal, meanwhile there is still over 40 miles of Panama Canal left to see. There is also an opportunity to see some of the construction presently under way for the Canal expansion. You can see some of this on the partial transit tour of the Pacific Locks and there is also a tour that will take you to shoreside at Gatun Locks. On this tour you will also go to an observation area that will give an up close look at the construction of the new locks on the Atlantic side. Gives you a chance to see some history in the making.

Whatever you ultimately decide to do, it's a great cruise and I hope you and your friends enjoy!

I do not believe "mall" this exists anymore.

I believe the "mall" you are referring to was on the Cristobal piers and has been demolished. That was the favored stop for ships doing a partial transit. Basically it is all part of Colon, the Cristobal piers are on the west side of Colon and where the cruise ships now dock is on the East side of the city about 2 miles away. The company the operates the Cristobal piers believed the operations were better served by eliminating the cruise ships and using the space for container operations. There is a mall adjacent to the docks where the cruise ships now are berthed when they stop after a partial transit to pick up those passengers who on a shore excursion. Many of the items you could find on the Cristobal piers can be found at the other mall.

I remember the first stop years ago - not much there. They have added a whole bunch of shops since 2001-2 and not much else. We had to take an escalator up to a covered walkway out to the ship. They kept us waiting in a line a mile long for over 40 minutes in the sweltering heat as the escalators weren't allowed to run until someone gave the magic word. There are no excursions in this little stop as there is nothing to see.

There are no excursions in this little stop as there is nothing to see.

Actually, there is plenty to see, but the short time there does not allow the excursions to be offered.

We were there on a Princess cruise that did not enter the Canal and there were a number of excursions to choose from.

I hope you enjoy your stay on the ship! Friends of ours did this on Zuiderdam (while we took the small boat excursion all the way through the Canal) and they said it was very relaxing and they felt they "had the ship to themselves." I believe they swam in the Lido pool, as it was unoccupied. (This was the only time they swam in it on the cruise, as I recall.)

We took the small boat excursion because I just could not imagine entering the Canal and then not going all the way through it. Aspects of it were great, and I am glad I did it, but it had some serious negative aspects (mostly the non-stop, repetitive commentary over the PA system, and the crowds on board.)

If you do not have that drive to see the Pacific side, you have made an excellent choice. It is the choice we will most likely make if we do another partial, which I hope we will do, as I like the S. Caribbean itinerary and the length of the cruise. My dream is to do a full transit, on a cruise ship. We'll see.

We stayed aboard last November. It was great as I started at the front to see the locks before us then went to the prom' deck to view the mules at work. Finally I went to the stern and watched ships follow us in together with those in the adjacent locks. Got some great pictures as a result.