Partial Panama Canal---Locks excursion or stay on ship??

Liesel

We stayed aboard last November. It was great as I started at the front to see the locks before us then went to the prom' deck to view the mules at work. Finally I went to the stern and watched ships follow us in together with those in the adjacent locks. Got some great pictures as a result.

Your post should serve as an answer to those who ask if they should book a balcony cabin on the starboard or port side for a Panama Canal cruise.

To get the best experience, one needs to see forward, aft and off the sides. Those who just view the canal from a balcony will miss much of the experience.

Your post should serve as an answer to those who ask if they should book a balcony cabin on the starboard or port side for a Panama Canal cruise.

To get the best experience, one needs to see forward, aft and off the sides. Those who just view the canal from a balcony will miss much of the experience.

Thank you Caribill

We stayed on our balcony when we passed through the Gatun locks to enter the lake and I was really disappointed. All the eager anticipation dissipated and I thought to myself "Is this it?".

The return was so much better by moving around the ship. Staying put on your balcony does not do the locks justice.

• 1 month later...
I second that suggestion. We did a private tour (can't remember with whom) and there were only the 2 of us on the tour. Much better than the cruise ship cattle call.

DON

I agree with the Embra tour, it was great, but unless something has changed, only Princess tours were are allowed from Gatun Lake. at least on the partial we did.

Edited by Musky Ike

We stayed on board for the turn around and watched the lock operations from the aft with no crowds. We could also duck inside for a drink or some cool air when necessary. It was very hot and humid. We got fantastic pics. :D

• 3 weeks later...

(sorry to bump an old thread)

We're 99% sure we're doing the partial transit on the Coral at the end of January 2014. Can somebody please explain how the excursion works for those who want to go on to see the Pacific?

I'm having difficulty sorting through some of the info contained in this thread and I'd like a more clear picture of what to expect. Like, do they pick you up and drop you off on the ship while anchored in Gatun Lake? Or do they pick you up at the anchored ship and then drop you off at Colon outside the locks on the Caribbean side? (which would explain the minimal 3 hour stop at Colon).

Also, can somebody describe the "ferry" that takes you across the Pacific-side locks?

Ok here is how they do it. You take a small boat from the ship to the shore. There you will board a ferry, with about 300 other people where you will take a trip to the Pacific through the other locks. When you get to the Pacific end you will then board a bus for an approx 1.5 hour trip back to the ship. A buffet lunch is provided on the ferry as well as drinks during the trip. It is along trip and there is no A/C on the ferry so it can be hot humid (and wet if it rains) . Hope this helps. I did it a few years ago and thought it was a great experience. Probably the only chance I will get for this.

Edited by Potstech

Hi Potstech!!

I would also suggest doing the ferry excursion as it gives an interesting different dynamic. It did get hot and was long and a bit tedious but I feel so worth it. we had brought those cheap rain ponchos and they came in handy as we were sitting at the back of the ferry in an uncovered spot and we did go through some rain (we stayed dry and have some really cute photos :)) If you do stay on the ship, do make sure to move around. I did this prior to leaving for the excursion and it too was a great way to get differing perspectives.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!!

Ok here is how they do it. You take a small boat from the ship to the shore. There you will board a ferry, with about 300 other people where you will take a trip to the Pacific through the other locks. When you get to the Pacific end you will then board a bus for an approx 1.5 hour trip back to the ship. A buffet lunch is provided on the ferry as well as drinks during the trip. It is along trip and there is no A/C on the ferry so it can be hot humid (and wet if it rains) . Hope this helps. I did it a few years ago and thought it was a great experience. Probably the only chance I will get for this.

Thanks!

So, just to clarify...the excursion ENDS at Colon? Meaning, we won't be on the Coral when she exits the canal at 3:30PM, correct?

Can you tell me more about the ferry. You said 300 passengers. Is it covered? Uncovered? Will it just be passengers from the Coral?

I found this picture searching google - http://yourfriendinpanama.com/images/Boat.JPG

Would that be similar to what we would expect for this excursion?

The boat was similar. It was covered and uncovered; I believe the ferry I was on had the uncovered portion towards the back. It was 2 levels. We sat on the top. There was an inside (I don't recall if it was air conditioned). We sat outside in the uncovered portion. People do get up and move around so don't be alarmed if you don't get a "good spot." There was a buffet lunch, and merchandise for sale in the inside portion. There was a photographer who took picture which were sold.

I went in late January/early Feb and it was hot!! But we did enjoy it and now am able to say I went through the canal while doing the partial transit cruise.

Thanks!

So, just to clarify...the excursion ENDS at Colon? Meaning, we won't be on the Coral when she exits the canal at 3:30PM, correct?

Can you tell me more about the ferry. You said 300 passengers. Is it covered? Uncovered? Will it just be passengers from the Coral?

I found this picture searching google - http://yourfriendinpanama.com/images/Boat.JPG

Would that be similar to what we would expect for this excursion?

That is the boat that is normally used, as far as I know it will only be passengers from your ship. Your excursion will end in Colon after the ship clears the Canal. Here is a link from the company that provides the excursion where the boat is described.

http://www.pmatours.net/pacific_queen/index.html#

It's a minor point, but there is an additional bus ride that Postech did not mention. When you are in Gatun Lake, you will take a boat over to shore. There you will board a bus that will drive to another location where the ferry is located. (I don't remember exactly how long this ride was--perhaps around 30 minutes?) You board the ferry and cruise through the remaining locks. Then re-board your bus for the 1.5 - 2 hour drive back to the cruise ship.

We did it in the month of April and it was really hot and humid, but a once-in-a-lifetime adventure that I'm glad I did. BTW, when we did the trip a couple years ago, they had free water, sodas and beer during the entire ferry trip.

Definately take the 6 hour exursion through the whole canal. You will be glad you did. It's totally different than going through one set of locks on the large ship. We have done it by both methods and so glad we did the smaller ship excursion thorugh the locks. Go fo it!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
It's a minor point, but there is an additional bus ride that Postech did not mention. When you are in Gatun Lake, you will take a boat over to shore. There you will board a bus that will drive to another location where the ferry is located. (I don't remember exactly how long this ride was--perhaps around 30 minutes?) You board the ferry and cruise through the remaining locks. Then re-board your bus for the 1.5 - 2 hour drive back to the cruise ship.

We did it in the month of April and it was really hot and humid, but a once-in-a-lifetime adventure that I'm glad I did. BTW, when we did the trip a couple years ago, they had free water, sodas and beer during the entire ferry trip.

We are doing this in April 2014 and looking forward to it. At the end of the ferry portion, do you get any time at all in Panama City? I know the ladies would like to pick up something from that end.

We are doing this in April 2014 and looking forward to it. At the end of the ferry portion, do you get any time at all in Panama City? I know the ladies would like to pick up something from that end.

Not unless it has changed...you just get off the ferry at a boat dock, get right onto a bus and back to the ship. You only see Panama City from a distance. The tour does not go there.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Correct. Its a long drive, you will make it back to the ship not that far before all aboard...

Not unless it has changed...you just get off the ferry at a boat dock, get right onto a bus and back to the ship. You only see Panama City from a distance. The tour does not go there.

Agreed, you will drive through the Balboa area of the former Canal Zone, and see some interesting things but only from the bus. We had an overnight before entering the canal the next morning, and I thought of asking to be dropped off but decided against it. Note that you can't go away from the group at Gamboa, where the boat docks as that is in a closed area and you must get on the bus.

Edited by Wehwalt

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is an old post but I am also going on the round trip Princess cruise on Jan 19 - We decided on the RT because of all the sea days on the pacific side and Mexico is not what we want. I have been going back on forth on this 300 passenger ferry ride. We took a 2 week River Cruise from Vienna to Amsterdam and it was also a small ship (174 passangers) We went through MANY locks and were able to be outside on top with the captain the locks were very cool and talk about up close and personal - touch the walls if you like.. well, after a day or so of these - after that, ya, another lock - we would be eating lunch - bright and sunny, then DARK as we sank down in a lock - then pop back up in the Sun. So, unless someone can show me why spending $338 for us to ferry to the pacific side - Iam looking at doing another excursion...

Can someone explain the Indian excursion and why it seems so good...

Thanks

So, unless someone can show me why spending $338 for us to ferry to the pacific side - Iam looking at doing another excursion...

Because if you have not ever been through the entire Canal, you should do so. Just coming through the three locks into Gatun Lake is not really experiencing the Panama Canal.

Yes, the locks on the Pacific side are essentially identical to the ones on the Caribbean side, but the journey there is a quite different experience.

To get a better appreciation of that journey, read the story of the building of the Panama Canal in "The Path Between the Seas." After reading that, you will want to go all the way through.

We took the partial transit of the Panama Canal last January and decided to do the Embera Indian tour to the Puru Indian Village based on recommendation of CC. We went by bus to a landing spot on the Chagres River(i believe). The Indians met us there and we boarded 3 motorized dugout canoes. We (about 40 of us )travelled through the water for about 1/2 to 3/4 hour before arriving at the village where the Indians lived. They had a welcoming group to meet us and then we went to their open air gathering place where they talked to us about their past, history, culture, education, etc. We were free to walk about the village buildings, they served us a meal,and they performed native dances for us while some of the members played on homemade instruments. They also had handmade baskets, jewelry and small carvings made from the tagua nuts for sale, all of which they were working on while we visited. One of the men told us that the items are priced based on how long it takes to make--50 hours of work equals a $50 price tag.

The reason they have had to resort to tourism for part of their livelihood is that they are no longer allowed to hunt in the jungle because that land has now been designated a national park and is off limits to hunting. However, they are allowed to fish in the river. When we were getting ready to leave, they gave each of the women on the tour a hand made garland for their hair and they sang and walked us back to the canoes.

We have cruised about 20 times and I have never been on such an authentic tour. We felt like we were living a page from National Geographic. I have knee issues and the Indians were most helpful in aiding me into and out of the canoe so I would not let that deter anyone from going. That was our 20th cruise and we must say that this tour was probably our favorite and most authentic.

Al and Barb

We are planning a cruise on Coral Princess in January of 2014 to the Panama Canal - Round trip. I guess that means partial.

A few years ago we went to the Panama Canal with Royal Caribbean. At that time nothing was ever mentioned about PARTIAL–at least I don’t think so. When going through the locks we stayed on the ship and could see everything. Then when the ship turned around, we went off and did some shopping near the pier.

This time we are going with Princess and friends who have never been to the Canal. I would pretty much like to stay on board again. But with this itinerary I am not quite sure if you get to see as much or if it would be better to take the 6 hr locks excursion. It seems that a lot of people here really like that excursion.

Any pros and cons?

Several years ago we took a partial transit cruise and got off the boat in Gatun Lake for a "nature walk" which was pretty blah (one monkey in the trees, a bunch of leafcutter ants racing about, some flowers, a couple of birds). However, the best part was saved for last as we were allowed to view the ship returning through the locks from several vantage points along a viewing platform right at the locks. The ship passed just a few feet away. The up-close experience was a fine comparison to what we saw from the ships perspective entering and passing through the locks. I don't know if this excursion is offered on the partial transits these days but it's worth researching.

We did the round trip canal cruise in April on the Island. We didn't do the full transit because that would have involved flying back to Florida from California and an extra 4 days on the ship - both expenses I wasn't interested in incurring - and flying - forget it. So we took the ferry excursion tha picked us up at the Gatun Yacht Club and took us to a ferry by bus where we traveled s all the way through all of the locks to the Pacific. It was FABULOUS. So up close and just a great trip. There was always plenty of free refreshments available the entire excursion. There were six if us and we all loved it. I would do it again. Just my opinion though. Barb

Barb--a thank you to you and all the others for the info. We are doing the partial transit in Feb on the Island, with the small boat excursion to the Pacific, and now I am even more excited by this , if possible!:)

ERBwhat is the name of the excursion that takes you into the Pacific? Thank you!

Panama Canal & Locks Transit by Boat

PC1-615 | Panama Canal, Panama |

Experience the full wonder of the Panama Canal with a crossing of the canal by tour boat on this daylong adventure. Travel by ship's tender to the Gatun Yacht Club, where you will board an air-conditioned transportation for the narrated drive through the isthmus to the small village of Gamboa. Located on the banks of the Chagres River and the Panama Canal, Gamboa lies in the heart of Panama's 55,000-acre Soberania National Park. Large tracts of lowland tropical rainforests that nourish thriving plants and harbor enchanting animal populations surround the village.

From Gamboa, embark on your ferry tour boat for a partial transit of the canal. Cruise through the Gaillard Cut along your journey. The Gaillard Cut is an artificial valley that cuts through the continental divide in Panama. The cut forms part of the Panama Canal, linking Gatun Lake, and thereby the Atlantic Ocean, to the Gulf of Panama and the Pacific Ocean. Construction of the cut was one of the great engineering feats of its time; the immense effort required to complete it was justified by the great significance of the canal to shipping, and in particular the strategic interests of the United States of America.

After crossing the Gaillard Cut, enter the Pedro Miguel Locks, which lower your vessel 28 feet on its way to the Pacific. Your boat will settle on Miraflores Lake. Sail across Miraflores Lake to the Miraflores Locks. A light lunch is available during your scenic cruise of the lake and locks. The Miraflores Locks are part of the engineering marvel that makes up the Panama Canal. The locks will lower your tour boat the final 56 feet, matching the level of the Pacific Ocean.

The lock gates at Miraflores are the tallest of the three due to the extreme tidal variation that takes place in the Pacific Ocean; the tidal variation on the Atlantic coast is by far less. Miraflores Locks are slightly over one mile long, from beginning to end. Depending on the size of each vessel, one can see anywhere from 1 to 3 vessels make the transit simultaneously. From the minute the vessels enters the locks, it takes approximately 10 minutes for the process to be completed. The water enters and leaving the locks by means of gravity only, as there are no pumps or other man made devices that assist in this process.

Your cruise ends at La Playita in Panama City, where you board your air-conditioned ground transportation for the return trip to the ship.