Passover on NCL

JJS329

WOW.. Like Ive said before I dumb to Most other religions .. And Im trying not to offended anyone But I would like to know why or what prohibits you doing most these things Like opening a electronic door or pushing a elevator button.. Again not trying to offend.. Just curious..

No problem, vols, I don't mind answering. :)

Sabbath is often characterized as "the day of rest". But, pressing a button does not require any appreciable "work", so what's the big deal? The answer goes deeper.

The key idea behind Sabbath is "resting", a cessation of effort, of the human power to create, the ability of humans to apply their creative power to change the physical world. We do this in order to commemorate that G-d "rested" from his creative power on the 7th day of creation. An electric appliance is an example of applying human creative force to change the physical world. That is why we refrain from operating it on the Sabbath. Same goes for cooking, or writing. But playing a board game does not, nor reading a book.

If that seems hard to wrap your head around, that's because it is! :) It took me years to make the leap of faith. Note, it is not binding on non-Jews.

Edited by dwjoe

Let me try my hand at this, Joe, and tell me how I'm doing:

In the Jewish faith, the Sabbath is a day of rest, you cannot do any work. To orthodox Jews, this has moved into the modern world to mean you cannot turn a door handle (you are working to move the handle), and you cannot push an elevator button, as this causes the elevator to work. As Joe said, even opening the refrigerator door causes the light to go on, which is work. No cooking, and no eating of food cooked on Sabbath even by a non-Jew, as you are forcing them to work.

Cheng,

You've got most of it; I would clarify that "work" in this context does not necessarily mean effort, it means "creative power to change the physical world". All your examples are correct, except for the door handle. Operating a mechanical door handle is permissible, since no change is taking place. Operating an electronic handle would not be permissible.

P.S.:

Thanks for passing this info along to your friends in the cruise industry. The more understanding, the more peace. :)

Edited by dwjoe

Cheng,

You've got most of it; I would clarify that "work" in this context does not necessarily mean effort, it means "creative power to change the physical world". All your examples are correct, except for the door handle. Operating a mechanical door handle is permissible, since no change is taking place. Operating an electronic handle would not be permissible.

P.S.:

Thanks for passing this info along to your friends in the cruise industry. The more understanding, the more peace. :)

Thanks for the answers! I learned something tonight.. To be honest I had no ideal.. I respect you for living the way you have been taught..

I worked with a javoah witness for years we would spend time during break and lunch and he would educate me on his belifts and why he lived his life the way he did.. One of the best guys I've had the pleasure to work with..

Vols-159. Seriously stop it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I had a question tired to ask it without offending anybody now I know the answer.. So thanks for your reply also!

WOW.. Like Ive said before I dumb to Most other religions .. And Im trying not to offended anyone But I would like to know why or what prohibits you doing most these things Like opening a electronic door or pushing a elevator button.. Again not trying to offend.. Just curious..

As a Christian you should already know this ;) They are keeping the Sabbath.

During Passover I wouldn't sail on a cruise. The kosher for Passover logistics are too complicated for me to cruise.

Hey all...I am rather mystified by this thread...

I am Jewish and was brought up in a conservative kosher home. What mystifies me is not the food issue...but that anyone who is so concerned about observing one of the major Jewish "holidays" would even consider going on a cruise when there is so much more to Passover than just what you are eating.

There may be "Kosher Style" food on a cruise ship....but there can't possibly be Kosher unless they are sterilizing a portion of the kitchen and using new/sterilized/separate preparation pans and utensils and serving utensils and dishes and flatware...and training a staff that has probably never even heard the word "Kosher".

Hey...people do what they want to do...and believe how they want to believe. But if someone is that religious that Kosher is that important...wouldn't you want to be with family or at one's Temple to observe one's beliefs?

Before you jump on me! I do not keep Kosher any more, nor do I attend temple...but I do cook for an orthodox family in their home for Passover [doing all the cooking prior to sundown before the first seder evening] and am grateful for the chance to spend the two Seders with them and their family since my parents became too ill to host the yearly Seders any more.

HLR

Hey all...I am rather mystified by this thread...

I am Jewish and was brought up in a conservative kosher home. What mystifies me is not the food issue...but that anyone who is so concerned about observing one of the major Jewish "holidays" would even consider going on a cruise when there is so much more to Passover than just what you are eating.

There may be "Kosher Style" food on a cruise ship....but there can't possibly be Kosher unless they are sterilizing a portion of the kitchen and using new/sterilized/separate preparation pans and utensils and serving utensils and dishes and flatware...and training a staff that has probably never even heard the word "Kosher".

Hey...people do what they want to do...and believe how they want to believe. But if someone is that religious that Kosher is that important...wouldn't you want to be with family or at one's Temple to observe one's beliefs?

Before you jump on me! I do not keep Kosher any more, nor do I attend temple...but I do cook for an orthodox family in their home for Passover [doing all the cooking prior to sundown before the first seder evening] and am grateful for the chance to spend the two Seders with them and their family since my parents became too ill to host the yearly Seders any more.

HLR

The kosher for passover meals will be double wrapped and come with plastic wear just like kosher meals during the other 51 weeks of the year.

• 8 months later...
The kosher for passover meals will be double wrapped and come with plastic wear just like kosher meals during the other 51 weeks of the year.

HLR, You must understand that this is the only week that we can go on vacation as my Wife has Kidney Disease and we have been traveling constantly over the last year to get Lisa accepted onto what is as of yesterday 5 kidney Waiting Lists in 5 different States. But we are mainly in search of a donor before my Wife needs Dialysis. As for Family, my Dad, My Brother and Sister-in-Law are out of town and don't really observe. My Mom is in a Nursing Home so if we were home, we would most likely end up in a Non-Jewish NYC Diner where we could get a "Passover Dinner'. Instead on the ship we try not to eat Bread and eat Matzah as best as we can. NCL has told our travel agent that Matzah will be available. I believe it is better to do something than to do nothing at all.

HLR, You must understand that this is the only week that we can go on vacation as my Wife has Kidney Disease and we have been traveling constantly over the last year to get Lisa accepted onto what is as of yesterday 5 kidney Waiting Lists in 5 different States. But we are mainly in search of a donor before my Wife needs Dialysis. As for Family, my Dad, My Brother and Sister-in-Law are out of town and don't really observe. My Mom is in a Nursing Home so if we were home, we would most likely end up in a Non-Jewish NYC Diner where we could get a "Passover Dinner'. Instead on the ship we try not to eat Bread and eat Matzah as best as we can. NCL has told our travel agent that Matzah will be available. I believe it is better to do something than to do nothing at all.

Hi bru2,

My best wishes to your family for a healthy and happy Passover!

You may already know this, but you have to notify NCL 30 days in advance for kosher meal requests.

Also, I think you accidentally quoted the wrong poster (JJS329 instead of HLR).

OMG people enough is enough

If someone is observant and wants to cruise during Passover it is there business

It is for them to decide if the ship can conform to their religious beliefs and no one should tell them otherwise

If you sail ENJOY!!

be interested if the cruise even has matzah on board--

If you order Kosher food prior to travelling it will be basically Kosher TV dinners.

Not easy to travel if you want to observe the holiday

Very interesting thread. We are cruising the MR during Passover this year and keep having to answer Qs about whether we're worried about Kosher l'Pesach food or a seder onboard.

We're not observant, so the food isn't an issue. We'll probably make our own informal seder, but it will be weird (or liberating??) not to be with the whole family. Maybe I should tuck a Maxwell House hagaddah into my bag?

On a matzah-related note, we once did find matzah on a cruise: HAL to Alaska, of all places, and during the summer! It was right there on the buffet next to other crackers and breads. I had to take a picture to prove it.

Happy cruising - happy weekend - Shabbat Shalom to all!

Jemi

cruise18.jpg.69a2583293422e935dbacb0274c06b49.jpg

Edited by JemMonster
Attachment

This is a very interesting thread. My ex wife is Jewish , which makes my children Jewish. Her family didn't keep Kosher, or really practice or observe very much of anything. So my kids really don't have too much knowledge about that side.

I just recently got off the Getaway, the kosher food was amazing. The company that produced it was Sterling Kosher Caterers. If I were you I would call NCL special services and make sure they are carrying Sterling, Kosher for Passover, meals. The food was top notch. Chag Samach!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app