On board

Jalex63

Following a string of cruises on Holland America the past few years during which time we have noted a definite decline in service, we are considering an upcoming cruise aboard Seabourn.

In researching the line I find differences like, "tipping is not required or expected". Is this actually true, what about room service? We have always tipped the room service personnel on cruise ships.

I note that liquors are included, but I am wondering what "grade" they might be and what is the typical surcharge to upgrade to a premium selection?

Still debating the commitment to book the cruise as it is quite a lot more expensive than a HAL cruise, but we are wondering if it might not be worth it?

Jalex63, yes tipping is not required or expected. Some people tip their stewardess and some donate to a cruise fund but there is absolutely no pressure to do so.

Unless you really prefer something out of the ordinary I don't see a need to pay more for spirits. Wine might be a different story but that is a personal decision.

Honestly, sailing on Seabourn is a lot different than sailing on HAL. If we were talking about land based hotels think of Seabourn as the Ritz Carlton or the Four Seasons and think of HAL as a Hilton.

That is not to say that there is anything wrong with a Hilton but one is a luxury experience and the other one is not.

Keith

yes Seabourn is more but COMPLETELY worth it!

wines are debateable but Grey Goose, Belevedere vodka, single malt scotch

four choices to dine when you want and with whom you want

special order meals 24 hours in advance

room service 24 hours a day and truly NO TIPPING and you still get great service

doubt you will regret

Still debating the commitment to book the cruise as it is quite a lot more expensive than a HAL cruise, but we are wondering if it might not be worth it?

Seabourn is worth the upcharge and you won't be disappointed as the value per dollar is there and then some - don't be fooled by the low HAL booking charge. On HAL, everything of quality or consumption is extra and most staterooms are considerably smaller. The service on Seabourn is much better and the crew members are paid salaries rather than hit-or-miss tips.

HAL cruises are still very nice (I have a deposit on one now), but you can't walk on board with the same expectations as Seabourn. As you know, HAL has some excellent dining if you're willing to pay the specialty/fine dining upcharge. On Seabourn, meals in any venue are included and off-menu requests are accommodated with just a day's notice.

I hope you give Seabourn a try and then post a comparison.

We 'discovered' Seabourn a couple of years ago and have since travelled on both the Spirit and the Legend - we had sailed on approx 11 different cruise lines - 25 odd cruises - before this and nothing we had experienced out of the premium brands comes even close to Seabourn.

In December '12 we sailed on HAL Volendam in Asia - it was close to home and it was convenient as a last minute Xmas getaway BUT it only reinforced our love of Seabourn.

Re your questions .. there really isn't an expectation to tip anyone although you can reward by donating to the crew fund .. the bar serves good proprietry brands .. I find the standard wine selection perfectly acceptable but some opt for purchasing off the 'gold selection' .. and the food is excellent ..

Next 2 cruises booked on the Quest. Barcelona to Rio in Oct'13 and FL to Barcelona in Mar '14.

PS: if you do book you can also get a referral voucher that gives you a $400 on board credit. Bonus !

We 'discovered' Seabourn a couple of years ago and have since travelled on both the Spirit and the Legend - we had sailed on approx 11 different cruise lines - 25 odd cruises - before this and nothing we had experienced out of the premium brands comes even close to Seabourn.

In December '12 we sailed on HAL Volendam in Asia - it was close to home and it was convenient as a last minute Xmas getaway BUT it only reinforced our love of Seabourn.

Re your questions .. there really isn't an expectation to tip anyone although you can reward by donating to the crew fund .. the bar serves good proprietry brands .. I find the standard wine selection perfectly acceptable but some opt for purchasing off the 'gold selection' .. and the food is excellent ..

Next 2 cruises booked on the Quest. Barcelona to Rio in Oct'13 and FL to Barcelona in Mar '14.

PS: if you do book you can also get a referral voucher that gives you a $400 on board credit. Bonus !

We are looking at a cruise aboard Sojourn. Don't understand the "referral voucher" you refer to, can you explain that?:)

If the 'referral voucher' is what I think you are talking about, if someone refers you to Seabourn, you get an onboard credit and so do they on their next sailing. This has happened with us. We have booked our first Seabourn cruise departing November. A friend 'referred' us and after final payment we will get the OBC.

I only discovered about this after reading the boards and checked with my TA who confirmed it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Agree with the posters above. Except for times when we're taking our parents, nieces or nephews, having discovered seaboard we can't imagine cruising on any other line.

If you let them know in advance They will stock special foods for you (we ate many preparations of sweetbreads, with the chef consulting on how we wanted them prepared each time).

My partner is a diet Mountain Dew addict, and Our refrigerator was constantly stocked with it (special request).

We had complimentary caviar and blini with iced vodka every night, Sometimes in our cabin or brought to us (they really do get to know you) if we went anywhere for cocktails.

On our last cruise, over election night, we opted to stay in and watch television. We had everything from truffle Risotto to grilled lobsters brought, course by course, extending over the six hours of watching the election results. Tips were refused, so we gave to the "crew fund".

No, we don't only eat. The library is amazingly well stocked with the latest fiction and nonfiction; the lecturers knowledgeable and not trying to sell anything and the fellow passengers the source of ongoing friends.

Just be aware-it's more addictive than crack!

Check out the "Sticky" at the top of this board "Referral Coupon" for all the information you may need and any referral coupons available.

I just posted on the coupon sticky that I was looking for a referral coupon, but noted that the last post on that thread was in July '12.

I just posted on the coupon sticky that I was looking for a referral coupon, but noted that the last post on that thread was in July '12.

That's because you are looking at a posters joining date and not the date that the post was placed.

That's because you are looking at a posters joining date and not the date that the post was placed.

My error, you are correct. I have already received responses for a coupon, now I just have to figure out how to actually receive and use it.

I was planning on making the booking today, do I just inform the TA that I am going to have a coupon?

Have elected to take the plunge. Just booked a Veranda Guarantee for the November 17, 10 day on the Sojourn out of Ft Lauderdale.:D

Now the wait sets in........really looking forward to a new experience.

I will email you when I get home from work and send a referral form to you. How's that? You can email confirmation to me back at John & Steve @AOL

I have sent you a personal email

Jim

Following a string of cruises on Holland America the past few years during which time we have noted a definite decline in service, we are considering an upcoming cruise aboard Seabourn.

In researching the line I find differences like, "tipping is not required or expected". Is this actually true, what about room service? We have always tipped the room service personnel on cruise ships.

I note that liquors are included, but I am wondering what "grade" they might be and what is the typical surcharge to upgrade to a premium selection?

We embarked on the same search for a new cruise experience and home after also becoming very disenchanted with HAL after having cruised with them since 1995. Our first venture up to the all inclusive luxury cruise world was last year on Silversea. I can't compare Seabourn to Silversea as our cruise next year will also be our first on Seabourn but assuming Seabourn is as good if not better than Silversea you're in for a real treat. It's hard to put in words but there is just something about the level of service, the not being being nickeled and dimed to death, the food, and so on. Other than it's all cruising it's really hard to explain the very different ambience. We're both looking forward to next year's cruise. As an aside Mrs. K has told me there'll be no more HAL cruises anytime soon if ever again. :D

Archived