Dedicated RC cruiser tries Celebrity

Is there any kind of equivalent piano bar place like the Schooner or a British Pub (think Royal Promenade)? I spend (my non-trivia) evening hours there, usually closing it down (depending on the performer). I'm not sure if it really would be, but it feels like almost a deal-breaker if there wasn't something like one or both of them.

Thanks.

Pretty much. We were on the Eclipse in January of this year. One of the guests in MDR lost their luggage. Celebrity loaned him a jacket for formal nights.

Celebrity: worst coffee on any ship or cruise line we have ever sailed. BYO and add it to hot water.

Also, we had AQ room. Couldn't stand Blu and asked to got to MDR.

HAL: we are nonsmokers and will not sail them again unless they change their policy. I know they are considering it.

Carnival: worst food ever. Even on the 7 nite cruise I only could eat there a couple nights since we were with family. Won't sail them again. However, their entertainment was great!

I just enjoy cruising and am glad to be sailing again soon.

Unfortunately, we were scheduled to sail on the Millenium when they had the propulsion problems, and our cruise was cancelled. We lost a lot of money on that situation even though we had insurance. It didn't cover "mechanical" problems before the cruise was supposed to take place.

My friend and I are booked on the Century next spring. Hopefully our faith will be restored in Celebrity!

Guest maddycat
Forgive me if this has been asked in this tread and I missed it...and please know that I do NOT want to start a debate on dress code. Just a question - and, hopefully, a simple answer.

Is Celebrity still a stickler on dress after 5:00 p.m.?

The reason I ask is I was on a Celebrity cruise about 25 years ago during which they went absolutely nuts on you if you changed out of your dinner-wear after dinner. To the point of even putting notices in everyone's cabin on the 3rd night saying "It is inappropriate to change out of your dinner-wear after dinner." I changed into "day wear" after dinner one night and was approached by a member of the staff and asked to "kindly change or retire to my cabin for the evening". Funny thing was, I was just going up to the guest relations desk to get a deck of cards because I had retired to my cabin for the evening. (Remember when they used to hand out decks of cards?!)

I've been shy about trying Celebrity ever since as, yes, sometimes I do change my clothes after dinner!

We have not sailed Celebrity in about 8 years and are looking at the Solstice for Alaska. I am also interested in how strict they are now with the dress code. :)

Celebrity is a bit more relaxed about their dress code. Back 25 years ago they were still owned by Chandler and not RCCL. On formal nights you will see many more men dressed in Tux on Celebrity than on RCI. My husband wears a long sleeve dress shirt and dress slacks, no tie. No one says anything and we eat in the MDR. On one of the casual nights an elderly gentleman sat at a table near us and was wearing denim coveralls. We have noticed many passengers do change back into casual wear after dinner. However, at the nightly Elite event you won't be admitted in shorts or jeans, not even denim capris.

We just booked our first Celebrity cruise and are excited to try it after being loyal to Royal long enough to become Diamond Plus. It is tough not knowing as much about Celebrity as Royal but ready to learn. Thanks for the great comparison. Deb

As a D+ member you will get Elite status on the CC. Don't forget to call to get your number, we really like their perks.:):)

Reading another thread just now reminded me of a VERY important difference.

No announcements.

The Captain has a daily 10 A.M. report from the bridge. <sigh> (Captain Leonardos)

There may be one announcement a day about one important thing.

Other than that, NO ANNOUNCEMENTS ON THE PUBLIC ADDRESS SYSTEM.

Such a nice relief!

I love the lack of announcing everything all the time. NO BINGO BINGO BINGO everyday!!! I's more upscale and sophisticated, but different, if you do not look at your dallies you have no idea anything that is going on.

Sounds like you had a good time!

drarill, we already got our numbers but thanks. We are anxious to experience the Celebrity perks firsthand. Know the RCCL ones very well and ready to step out and try something new. Have to say the one other time we tried this was with HAL and we were not pleased. Never went back. Really believe Celebrity will be a better fit for us though. We will always go back to Royal but would like to have another favorite. Deb

Carol, thanks for starting an interesting thread. I've always found your opinions to be worth reading. I am trying to convince DH to give X a try, since it sounds like the pro's on X are exactly what we currently value: an improved culinary experience, elegant but friendly service, and beautiful ships. We seem to fit the age demographic -- we are in our 50's -- and are not interested in the rock wall, flow rider, or cartoon characters, but we don't want to fall in bed at 9:00 either! We enjoy the shows, and we like to dance (anything but ballroom!)

We are D+, and we very much appreciate the DL/CL perks.

I greatly prefer the Radiance class ships due to their overall beauty and close connection to the water. I like the passenger/crew ratio; they feel more personal to me.

So, my question is this: of the X ships, which class do you think comes closest to the Radiance class? The Solstice class seems most attractive to me, but since I've never sailed X I'd be interested in the comments from those who have.

...>>>SNIP<<<...

I greatly prefer the Radiance class ships due to their overall beauty and close connection to the water. I like the passenger/crew ratio; they feel more personal to me.

So, my question is this: of the X ships, which class do you think comes closest to the Radiance class? The Solstice class seems most attractive to me, but since I've never sailed X I'd be interested in the comments from those who have.

Solstice class by a landslide. We've been on Solstice and Silhouette as well as the M class Constellation.

Celebrity does not give balcony discounts, but does give upgrades. This means only “book the lowest level of balcony, but get the next level of balcony cabin”. Explore their website; you’ll see what I mean.

Fantastic comparison, thanks Merion_Mom. Great timing. We're looking at the Solstice next year.

We are D+ on RCI. To confirm, does this mean if I book a 1B on the Solstice, I can get an upgrade to 1A for free? I've checked the Celebrity website, but I can't find anything about the balcony upgrade. In the Elite benefits section, they mention a free upgrade on inside and oceanview staterooms only.

This is correct. No balcony upgrades or discounts.

Except this is what Merion_Mom (the OP) said:

Celebrity does not give balcony discounts, but does give upgrades. This means only “book the lowest level of balcony, but get the next level of balcony cabin”. Explore their website; you’ll see what I mean."

Archived