Time & Place Falmouth, Jamaica

PinkLindsayGA

We were scheduled to go to Time N Place near Falmouth in January 2014 and just received a refund via paypal and this email.....

We are no longer able to offer transportation service as the cruise ship port policy has now changed. The cruise port is not authorizing any pick up outside the port's gate. We are sincerely sorry for any inconvenience this has caused

I'm not sure how RCCL can control pickup outside of the port gate but it appears that they will have a monopoly on tours.

What should we do now???? I just wanted a beach day. :confused:

Did you respond to them and ask if other transportation options are available?

No I didn't - after some of the more recent reviews it may have worked out for the best.

I was just wondering if other private excursions were being cancelled or if there was other reasons other than the one they stated.

Now , what to do in Falmouth?

We were scheduled to go to Time N Place near Falmouth in January 2014 and just received a refund via paypal and this email.....

We are no longer able to offer transportation service as the cruise ship port policy has now changed. The cruise port is not authorizing any pick up outside the port's gate. We are sincerely sorry for any inconvenience this has caused

I'm not sure how RCCL can control pickup outside of the port gate but it appears that they will have a monopoly on tours.

What should we do now???? I just wanted a beach day. :confused:

Our family also received that message, so I emailed asking if they would be open if we took a taxi from the port and received the reply below. I have read that most taxis at the port do not want to take people such a short distance, but we are optimistically planning to spend New Year's Day there.

Lin

Reply to my email:

"Thank you for choosing Time N Place. Yes, we are still open for business. Please kindly take a taxi on the port to Time N Place upon your arrival.

We are working on getting our bus on port to resume our pick up service.

See you soon!"

We met Harvel at Scotia Bank, boarded his van and he got out to talk with a policeman. After about 5 minutes we were told that he had to take us back to the port entrance since the policeman wanted him to have a special license (something like that!)

When we got back to port entrance, a policeman was there and we were told we had to go to the taxi entrance to take a regular taxi to TNP. After seeing the local area which looked pretty dangerous, I really was skeptical about taking a regular taxi and having to get a taxi back to the ship. So we went shopping. Hervel did refund our deposit as promised...very nice guy.

Cruisers on our ship did take the cabs, but had to pay a hefty tip to get the driver to take them that short distance to TNP. They had a wonderful time and mentioned that TNP offered to pay their cab fare due to problem.

They renegged on the offer since they had such a great time.

Hopefully, TNP transportation issues will be taken care of in the future...We really would like to visit their beach!

I'd also like to mention an incident in town...We wanted to buy coconuts from a street vendor...Was told $4.00 each....Said no and then agreed on a $4.00 price for two, gave him $5.00 which included a $1.00 tip. He started getting nasty, saying we owed him more money!

We walked away, but it was very unpleasant!

That stinks! We were planning on going the end of January. TNP had transportation issues last year about this time and we were unable to go. Tried to get a taxi to take us, but they acted like they did not know the place.

Our friends said that they also had trouble getting someone and had to pay a good tip to get someone to take them there (I think total was $30 for a very short ride).

I also hope they can get their transportation taken care of in the future because I really want to visit TNP

For many of the reasons mentioned above including my experience-I would stick with ship sponsored trips. Jamaica seems like a nice island country but out of all the Islands I have been to it seems to have the most less than honest people in the tourism trade. I have also met some of the nicest people there too. But the others can make a trip very uncomfortable and sometimes worst.

I haven't contacted them yet, but their website now states:

**WE ARE NOW OFFERING PICK UP SERVICE ON THE FALMOUTH CRUISE PORT IN THE INDEPENDENT PARK**

Entrance is now $28 a person - $10 for the entrance and $18 for transportation. I'm guessing the price went up to pay for the vehicle fees to enter the cruise port.

Can anyone remember how much the lobster meal is? Jerk chicken? Beers?

I'm still debating this, although I think it's now the same price as RCCL's Red Stripe Beach. There won't be as many people though.

I don't have prices for food, but I have beer prices from the mobile bar at the far end of the beach:

ugevyzan.jpg

Yeah, we pre-booked the cab ride and had it refunded also due to the regulation change. Any updates on the shuttle or safe alternate ways to get there?

We met Harvel at Scotia Bank, boarded his van and he got out to talk with a policeman. After about 5 minutes we were told that he had to take us back to the port entrance since the policeman wanted him to have a special license (something like that!)

When we got back to port entrance, a policeman was there and we were told we had to go to the taxi entrance to take a regular taxi to TNP. After seeing the local area which looked pretty dangerous, I really was skeptical about taking a regular taxi and having to get a taxi back to the ship. So we went shopping. Hervel did refund our deposit as promised...very nice guy.

Cruisers on our ship did take the cabs, but had to pay a hefty tip to get the driver to take them that short distance to TNP. They had a wonderful time and mentioned that TNP offered to pay their cab fare due to problem.

They renegged on the offer since they had such a great time.

Hopefully, TNP transportation issues will be taken care of in the future...We really would like to visit their beach!

I'd also like to mention an incident in town...We wanted to buy coconuts from a street vendor...Was told $4.00 each....Said no and then agreed on a $4.00 price for two, gave him $5.00 which included a $1.00 tip. He started getting nasty, saying we owed him more money!

We walked away, but it was very unpleasant!

Yeah, we pre-booked the cab ride and had it refunded also due to the regulation change. Any updates on the shuttle or safe alternate ways to get there?

Read that they now can transport guests right from the port, but fee has gone up to $28 pp instead of $20.

Will definitely do this next trip to Falmouth!

Would one say that Time 'n Place be adequate/safe for a toddler? I'm looking for a short beach stop for the morning, as my DS nap is ~1pm.

I'm just looking for a place where he can splash around and play in the sand without being trampled by the crowds.

• 4 weeks later...
Would one say that Time 'n Place be adequate/safe for a toddler? I'm looking for a short beach stop for the morning, as my DS nap is ~1pm.

I'm just looking for a place where he can splash around and play in the sand without being trampled by the crowds.

We went here last Spring Break with a 2 yr old. It was seriously one of the best beach days we've ever been on. So private and laid back. It was beautiful here!

This year our cruise stops in Ochos Rios and I'm trying to figure out how to go back!! Gorgeous, gorgeous place!!!

• 11 months later...