DS 9- Swimming with a vest

IMKTDQT810

I have noticed (for the first time) this year at the public pools we visited they did not allow children with water wings. Heck, those used to be the "in-thing" for a parents piece of mind. My son used to wear wings but after going to Disney last year (on property) all kids in the pool had to wear vests. HE LOVED THIS IDEA!! So this year we bought him a vest and he wears it anytime we swim. He has never been told to take it off (unlike the poor kiddos wearing the water wings). So I am wondering, next year we plan on taking him on his first cruise. He will be 9 at the time of sailing and we will be on a Carnival ship (either Fantasy or Pride). I was just wondering if anyone has seen other kids wearing vests? I would hate to bring it to port and get told we can't board with it. I know that the Fantasy only has one pool and it get pretty packed most of the time...but if he wanted to swim I wanted him to be safe. What about the muster drill...can he wear his own vest there also? It's a good one approved for boating safety and all....but never thought about the muster until I was sitting here typing this up. Any info would be great...and Thank you!!

Lots of us have brought our own swim or life vests for our kids to use in port, so I would say there is no chance it will be taken at check-in. You can not use it for muster - just use the ship's (just as you can not use the ship's for non-emergencies). My girls used to wear them in the pools on board - I don't know of rules forbidding it. Disney requires the use of their own vests because they don't want the buckles of personal vests to scratch the slides.

Best,

Mia

We bring ours also. My DGD still wears her's at every pool and if we were to go on a private excursion my DGS would be wearing one as well. Not the same as Disney cruiseline, but we were at Disneyland last week and were told that she could wear the vest in the pool - but if she wanted to do the slide she had to wear theirs.

Swim lessons? I've never met a 9 year old who couldn't swim - its a skill that can save a life.

I stopped letting my kids wear any type of flotation device when they turned 4. Our pool club didn't allow them in the deep end (where the diving board was). Good incentive (plus year round lessons until they mastered their stokes - stopped by age 7).

Swim lessons? I've never met a 9 year old who couldn't swim - its a skill that can save a life.

I stopped letting my kids wear any type of flotation device when they turned 4. Our pool club didn't allow them in the deep end (where the diving board was). Good incentive (plus year round lessons until they mastered their stokes - stopped by age 7).

Then clearly you're superior to the OP. Yay!

Best,

Mia

Thank you for the feedback everyone!! I'm happy to know we can bring it and not have to have one of those "please take this ticket and gather it at the end of your vacation" conversations with a staff member.

@ mjkacmom- My son has taken lessons and can swim if need be. But due to the fact that he is on the smaller scale size for his age (he is 8 1/2 and JUST made it to 40 lbs) he feels safe with his life vest with strangers around due to splashing and rough play at times. I, personally, don't have a problem with him using it knowing that it keeps him in the "safe" frame of mind to want to swim in a crowded pool with everyone else. =-)

Obviously you haven't met every single 7 year old then. There are plenty of children and adults that can't swim. Not everyone has access to a pool or the money to spend on lessons. Good for you that your kid can swim and take lessons year round. You ARE special! Some of us have to work during the year and can't take off every day for months to take a kid to lessons. I have a pool but my autistic granddaughter has difficulty learning to swim even though she has taken lessons for years. I prefer her to live rather than drown so she wears a vest.

I have been wondering this, too. My kid really needs to wear water wings when going down the slide on the ship, b/c the water will be over her head. I have a feeling they won't be allowed though. And I am taking life vests for both my girls to wear on our beach excursions, and they are 8 and 6. They aren't getting in the ocean without them!

Thank you for the feedback everyone!! I'm happy to know we can bring it and not have to have one of those "please take this ticket and gather it at the end of your vacation" conversations with a staff member.

@ mjkacmom- My son has taken lessons and can swim if need be. But due to the fact that he is on the smaller scale size for his age (he is 8 1/2 and JUST made it to 40 lbs) he feels safe with his life vest with strangers around due to splashing and rough play at times. I, personally, don't have a problem with him using it knowing that it keeps him in the "safe" frame of mind to want to swim in a crowded pool with everyone else. =-)

But you will be watching him all the time, won't you? Or maybe going in the water with him?

Looks like I'm about to get flamed...

You have a year-swim lessons.

It's a life skill that gets harder to learn as you get older. In fact after the teen years most people won't bother to learn because they are either scared of the water or embarrassed.

Check your local community centers, parks and rec., or YMCA if you live in an area that has those.

@ Celle- <<But due to the fact that he is on the smaller scale size for his age (he is 8 1/2 and JUST made it to 40 lbs) he feels safe with his life vest with strangers around>> But you will be watching him all the time, won't you? Or maybe going in the water with him?

Yes, we are always with him at all times around water and even out of the water. But the difference is that without his vest (even though he can swim) he would rather hang on to myself or my husband if the pool is crowded. With his vest on, he can swim out a few feet from us and not get overwhelmed if a large group of people start horse playing. That is all I meant by that statement.

@lrowe70- I took my son to HYCAT that had a great program for $35.00 total for 6 weeks (3 days a week). They held morning, afternoon and evening classes. It was trained by life guard students who needed so many hours of training, so they taught the lessons under supervision. I took him to evening classes after work. With that being said....not everyone thinks learning to swim is important. I have always been around water (grew up in NJ by the beach) and learned at a YMCA. Now living in WV, I would say a large part of my friends and extended family, do not know how to swim. There is a few large rivers around and I point that fact out....but they just don't see the sense in it (this is from adults and adults that have children that don't know how to swim).

Please keep in mind that my intent on this post was to ask if the vest were OK to wear in the pools and bring on board. Everyone will have a different story and experience on why or why not their child(ren) can swim. Like I said earlier, my son is small. He looks like a 5 year old even though he is 8 1/2, it's his personal preference to wear one and I am all for it. So PLEASE no flames across the thread. Thank you!!

To the OP, your son has every right to wear a swim vest if that makes him more comfortable in the water. And those parents turning their noses up need to mind their own business!! She asked ONE simple question and the "perfect judgmental snooty" parents come out full force. It's ridiculous!! You raise your children how you see fit and leave others to do the same.

My toddler has yet to begin a swim class because I do not have the time. I work FT, go to school FT, and I'm a single mom so that's not on my list of things to do right now. Once school is over (Pretty soon, thank God!!) I'll have the time to take her in the evenings and/or on weekends for lessons but it's not happening right now. My point is, everyones situation is different so cut the crap! Now flame me if you dare!! :)

Then clearly you're superior to the OP. Yay!

Best' date='

Mia[/quote']

No more superior than a mom who states she kept her kids in 5 point harnesses until the age of 8, for their safety. The difference is, once the child is 10 or older, car seats are no longer an issue. Drowning is an issue for life.

I had five kids in six years. Getting them years of swim lessons was certainly not easy - hanging out in the Y waiting rooms for hours at a time, showering and putting jammies on a bunch of kids in the changing rooms, stopping at the drive thru for a happy meal for dinner (bribe)... And it's not cheap - we might've skipped a couple of vacations to pay for them.

I feel it's very important for kids not to just learn how to swim, but how to swim well, so that if they're ever in a scary water situation (falling in fully dressed, getting pulled out in a river, falling off a boat), both as children, teens, and adults, they will not panic.

I've pulled kids off of the bottom of pools who forgot they took their swimmies off - it happens quite a bit. So many teens and adults drown every year, because they never learned to swim. All of these deaths are preventable! The earlier the kids get lessons, the faster it is, and the more confident they are.

When I see an older child in a flotation device in the pool or ocean, it bothers me just as much as it would bother someone else seeing a 2 year old in a backless booster. Both situations are potentially dangerous.

No more superior than a mom who states she kept her kids in 5 point harnesses until the age of 8, for their safety. The difference is, once the child is 10 or older, car seats are no longer an issue. Drowning is an issue for life.

I had five kids in six years. Getting them years of swim lessons was certainly not easy - hanging out in the Y waiting rooms for hours at a time, showering and putting jammies on a bunch of kids in the changing rooms, stopping at the drive thru for a happy meal for dinner (bribe)... And it's not cheap - we might've skipped a couple of vacations to pay for them.

I feel it's very important for kids not to just learn how to swim, but how to swim well, so that if they're ever in a scary water situation (falling in fully dressed, getting pulled out in a river, falling off a boat), both as children, teens, and adults, they will not panic.

I've pulled kids off of the bottom of pools who forgot they took their swimmies off - it happens quite a bit. So many teens and adults drown every year, because they never learned to swim. All of these deaths are preventable! The earlier the kids get lessons, the faster it is, and the more confident they are.

When I see an older child in a flotation device in the pool or ocean, it bothers me just as much as it would bother someone else seeing a 2 year old in a backless booster. Both situations are potentially dangerous.

Kudos to you!! BUT knowing how to swim is not a guarantee. My pastor lost her husband and son (husbands best friend too) after their boat capsized in the Chesapeake Bay and guess what they all knew how to swim. Again, you've taken all five of your children to swim class and that's great but you don't know anyones circumstances (except your own) so I don't think the OP or anyone else for the matter should be ridiculed by you or anyone. Besides she already said that her son knows how to swim, he just feels safer and more confident with the vest on.

My toddler is almost two and still rear facing in her carseat because I feel she's safer that way as opposed to front facing. I cringe when I see babies/toddlers younger and/or smaller than her front facing in their carseats but I'm not hunting their parents down with a pitchfork or criticizing their choices. It's a recommendation and not a requirement that parents keep their children rear facing for as long as possible. It is also recommended that everyone know how to swim but it is NOT a requirement.

You get "bothered" seeing an older child in a flotation device. I'm bothered by people who judge without knowing circumstances, so I understand.

My toddler is almost two and still rear facing in her carseat because I feel she's safer that way as opposed to front facing. I cringe when I see babies/toddlers younger and/or smaller than her front facing in their carseats but I'm not hunting their parents down with a pitchfork or criticizing their choices. It's a recommendation and not a requirement that parents keep their children rear facing for as long as possible. It is also recommended that everyone know how to swim but it is NOT a requirement.

What is the difference between you cringing over seeing babies in a front facing car seat, and me cringing seeing a child in a flotation device? Accidents are the leading cause of death for children. Car accidents are #1 - drownings are #2.

I am not hunting down parents, I'm trying to save a life or two. I've seen so many parents raked over the coals, on this board and others, for suggesting using just a seat belt on with their four year old's on vacation, and not carry around a car seat. That's not judging, but I am? I think there is MUCH more information out there on car seats, and not nearly enough on the dangers of drowning.

You get "bothered" seeing an older child in a flotation device. I'm bothered by people who judge without knowing circumstances' date=' so I understand.[/quote']

So, would you be bothered seeing a 3 year old using just a seat belt? Or would you figure there was a good reason.

DD is a life guard and swimming instructor and here are her thoughts:

• Knowing how to swim is not being "drown proof". (merely wearing a floatation device is also not a guarentee that the wearer cannot drown)
    Nothing - not swim lessons, life guards, floatation aids, floatation devices are a substitute for good judgement and proper supervision.
  • A technically skilled swimmer wearing a floation device of some sort is not an unsafe situation -- Particularly when the swimmer is in an environment where they are not "sure" of themselves.
    The device should be properly sized for the swimmer, and comfortable enough that the wearer will not take it off, and not so bulky as to interfere with the enjoyment of those around the swimmer.
  • Everyone has their own limits and own comfort zones. (DD swims well, but even after a childhood full of swimming lessons, I really do not feel all that comfortable and spend most of my pool time in water in which I can comfortably stand -- both DD and I use floatation devices when snorkeling)

So, would you be bothered seeing a 3 year old using just a seat belt? Or would you figure there was a good reason.

A car seat and a skill are a bit different. I have a special needs 8 year old who looks like most other 8 year olds. It's people like you who see her in a stroller or swim vest and are "bothered" (and thereby teach their children to judge) without knowing there's an underlying circumstance, which is why I felt the need to respond to your comment rather than stick to the question at hand as I should have. You say you don't know any 9 year olds who can't swim - that tells me your circle is very limited. If the OP doesn't share the "whys" of a question, I like to just answer rather than assume facts not in evidence. I know you don't mean any harm, and yet, that's what happens. I do appreciate your passion for water safety.

Best,

Mia

What is the difference between you cringing over seeing babies in a front facing car seat, and me cringing seeing a child in a flotation device? Accidents are the leading cause of death for children. Car accidents are #1 - drownings are #2.

I am not hunting down parents, I'm trying to save a life or two. I've seen so many parents raked over the coals, on this board and others, for suggesting using just a seat belt on with their four year old's on vacation, and not carry around a car seat. That's not judging, but I am? I think there is MUCH more information out there on car seats, and not nearly enough on the dangers of drowning.

The point I was trying to make is that while we may disagree with other parents choices who are we to judge them??? I might cringe at seeing a 12 month old front facing in a carseat but there might be a perfectly good reason the parents felt the need to do that (such as the child meeting the weight requirement etc.) and it wouldn't be my place to say a word about it.

Cringe at the thought of a child wearing a flotation device all you want but the way you came across to the OP was not only judgmental but rude as well. You incorrectly assumed her son didn't know how to swim and that she was somehow failing as a parent because she didn't invest in tons of swim classes like you did for yours! And like I said before knowing how to swim DOES NOT guarantee the safety of anyone. Whenever there are boating excursions there's a reason everyone is required to have a lifevest whether they know how to swim or not!

If you investigate older children (and for that matter adults) who drown, I suspect you'll find those who can swim drown in higher proportions than those who can't. Why? Because the ones who can't swim, don't go in or near the water.

As to the OP, they certainly won't take the vest away at embarkation. You can use it on shore, even if you can't use it on board.

I understand the OP's reasoning.

Our 3-year old granddaughter can swim across a pool and float like starfish, but she would still be scared if in a pool with boisterous people who splashed or crowded her.

If wearing a life-jacket makes the OP's son feel safer and happier in those circumstances then, of course, he should wear it!

I understand the OP's reasoning.

Our 3-year old granddaughter can swim across a pool and float like starfish, but she would still be scared if in a pool with boisterous people who splashed or crowded her.

If wearing a life-jacket makes the OP's son feel safer and happier in those circumstances then, of course, he should wear it!

Also, the pool on board often has no shallow end, so while the adults can stand, kids can't - on top of the fact that it's usually salt water which a lot of kids aren't used to and don't want in their eyes. And the water can be very wavy with the motion of the ship.

Best,

Mia

A car seat and a skill are a bit different. I have a special needs 8 year old who looks like most other 8 year olds. It's people like you who see her in a stroller or swim vest and are "bothered" (and thereby teach their children to judge) without knowing there's an underlying circumstance' date=' which is why I felt the need to respond to your comment rather than stick to the question at hand as I should have. You say you don't know any 9 year olds who can't swim - that tells me your circle is very limited. If the OP doesn't share the "whys" of a question, I like to just answer rather than assume facts not in evidence. I know you don't mean any harm, and yet, that's what happens. I do appreciate your passion for water safety.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

First of all, I was speaking about typical functioning children. I have a MA in Special Education. I don't teach my children to judge - I have never commented about other children or parenting in their presence. My social circle is exceptionally large - having 5 kids, I pretty much know everyone here, and my twins are 10, so I definitely know more 10 year old's than most. I've hosted tons of pool parties, and I was very surprised when there were 2 kids who couldn't swim at the twins' party, when they were 8. One mother stayed, and had a vest and water wings on her son, and claimed he didn't want swim lessons. The other just dropped and left, never mentioning her daughter couldn't swim, and my teenage daughter had to jump in and rescue her, because she fell off her noodle.

Knowing how to swim doesn't prevent drowning, but it sure helps. And people rely too much on flotation devices, such as water wings. I allowed my oldest to try to swim without them when she was 2, and she sank (I was right next to her, and grabbed her). She kept insisting she could swim without them, and I was terrified she'd find a way to get in the pool without them. She agreed she wasn't ready to go without. I once turned my back on #2 when he was 2, to get his 4 year old sister out of the Y's pool. A few seconds later, the lifeguard was getting him from the bottom of the pool. Ds forgot he took off his water wings when he went to the bathroom.

I finally did convince my friend to get lessons for her kids. They have an inground pool, her kids are 3, 8, and 10, and my friend can't swim herself. After a few nervous summers of hoping the kids would learn on their own, they did daily swim lessons this summer. She will continue with them in the fall.

I find that people are more likely to get their kids dance lessons, piano lessons, pitching coaches, skating lessons, etc., than swim lessons, because they're easier. As long as they can doggy paddle their way across the pool, they're seen as good to go. I think about that poor 4 year old who drowned on DCL. His parents lost sight of him - it wasn't because they weren't watching him in the pool. Since drowning represents such a large percentage of accidental death in children, I'm surprised more don't do everything they can to prevent it.

Archived