Olympus Tough TG-2 iHS

markeb

Just back off of Freedom, with two snorkeling days, and a number of "wet activity" days! I had just picked up the TG-2 iHS before going on the trip. My "regular" camera is a Canon T2i, with an S95 as a backup. First time I'd shot a JPEG only system in at least a couple of years, but I'm impressed. I shot mostly in their intelligent Auto mode, but did use the scene mode and program (to get fill flash) a few times.

Some shots:

P7150076_zps4d0746e4.jpg

P7170142_zps0a49a0f0.jpg

P7170122_zpsfe79c0e4.jpg

P7150047_zps921a4ea3.jpg

Best underwater camera I've ever owned (and I've cycled through a few!). And, surprisingly good above the water performance as well.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!! They look great. I just purchased this camera yesterday. I know pretty much nothing about cameras aside from aim and shoot the picture.

Did you take the underwater pictures using the scene mode set to underwater pics?

I am hoping it is a pretty good point and shoot camera as well because that is how I justified buying it. Going on 2 cruises soon..one with my husband in September and one with 3 of my older kids on October. Will do a small amount of snorkeling on both cruises and in October climbing Dunn's River Falls. This is why I wanted the waterproof camera.

Any advice???

Thanks...Kelly

Thanks for sharing the pictures!! They look great. I just purchased this camera yesterday. I know pretty much nothing about cameras aside from aim and shoot the picture.

Did you take the underwater pictures using the scene mode set to underwater pics?

I am hoping it is a pretty good point and shoot camera as well because that is how I justified buying it. Going on 2 cruises soon..one with my husband in September and one with 3 of my older kids on October. Will do a small amount of snorkeling on both cruises and in October climbing Dunn's River Falls. This is why I wanted the waterproof camera.

Any advice???

Thanks...Kelly

The underwater shots were in auto mode. It automatically selects the underwater scene, as I understand it. So, two pieces of advice:

Start shooting something NOW. Day, night, inside, outside, rain, etc, to learn its quirks (and there were a few).

Second, when snorkeling, try not to zoom. You'll sometimes be "whole body aiming", and the lens is extremely fast with exceptional low light performance on the wide end.

And one final piece of advice, make sure the trim ring around the lens is locked firmly, or remove it when snorkeling. You get a red and a black in the box; my black is no more...

Actually, one last thing. Olympus, and others, makes a floating wrist strap. Around $10-15. Get one for snorkeling!

Thanks...I appreciate the advice. I did see the floating strap which I plan on getting. At the camera shop where I bought the camera it was $19.99. I saw a lot of different brands on Amazon but then started reading reviews and didn't know which one to buy. Do you have the Olympus one?

I thought that in one of the scene modes there was an underwater setting. I thought that is what I was supposed to use while underwater. I think it will be hard not to zoom as I will want to get as close as possible to the subject I am trying to capture but will try not to.

Did you find that while snorkeling, since your body is probably moving around some, that the pictures were blurry or do I need to worry about that?

That is weird that the little ring came off...I thought it locked into place.

Kelly

Our guide took pictures in the water in Barbados with this camera. I was so impressed with his pictures, I am going to buy this camera.

markeb: beautiful pix!

Kelly....climbing Dunn's River Falls....some advice: wear a rash guard shirt or something....that water is CHILLY! ;)

Kelly,

I believe I bought the Olympus strap. I buy just about everything from B&H, not Amazon.

For snorkeling, yes you move. I did leave the camera in iAuto mode, and generally shot wide to get the f/2.0 aperture. That seemed to minimize the blur. Get a good card (I have a 32 GB, but I bought in multiples for my DSLR), and just keep shooting. You'll throw some away, but that's OK.

My guess is the ring wasn't locked, hence the advice.

Our guide took pictures in the water in Barbados with this camera. I was so impressed with his pictures, I am going to buy this camera.

Kelly....climbing Dunn's River Falls....some advice: wear a rash guard shirt or something....that water is CHILLY! ;)

Thanks! Like I said, there are a lot on the cutting room floor!

Thanks for the advice about the water being cold. I thought that may be the case...especially in October!

Kelly,

I believe I bought the Olympus strap. I buy just about everything from B&H, not Amazon.

For snorkeling, yes you move. I did leave the camera in iAuto mode, and generally shot wide to get the f/2.0 aperture. That seemed to minimize the blur. Get a good card (I have a 32 GB, but I bought in multiples for my DSLR), and just keep shooting. You'll throw some away, but that's OK.

My guess is the ring wasn't locked, hence the advice.

This may be a really stupid question...but, what do you mean by that you shot wide? Is there a setting for that? I told you I knew mostly nothing about this.

Also....what is B&H?

Thanks.

Wide is no zoom. This camera has a variable aperture; it lets more light in when it's not being zoomed, which improves low light performance. That performance drops as you zoom.

Wide is no zoom. This camera has a variable aperture; it lets more light in when it's not being zoomed, which improves low light performance. That performance drops as you zoom.

OK...thanks for the clarification. Been using the camera today and went back to the shop and had them explain a few things. Going to an indoor/outdoor waterpark the beginning of the week so will be able to try out some underwater pictures...in a pool setting but at least will get to try. Also ordered the floating strap.

One thing about the TG-2 that I find interesting is how the lens is situated. I have an Olympus 8010, which is a predecessor to that camera, and the lens is behind a door that closes over - unlike the lens on the TG-2, which is just behind a glass cover.

One of my biggest criticisms about my 8010 is that when the lens door closes (when you turn power off) water can get trapped behind the little metal door, and when it dries, it leaves a residue you have to clean off.

olympus_300.jpg

If I can remember to clean the lens before use, it is no big deal, but as forgetful as I am, there is more than one time that I got a big ugly spot on my photos by forgetting to do this.

So I am glad to see Olympus make such an improvement on their latest versions.

One thing about the TG-2 that I find interesting is how the lens is situated. I have an Olympus 8010, which is a predecessor to that camera, and the lens is behind a door that closes over - unlike the lens on the TG-2, which is just behind a glass cover.

One of my biggest criticisms about my 8010 is that when the lens door closes (when you turn power off) water can get trapped behind the little metal door, and when it dries, it leaves a residue you have to clean off.

olympus_300.jpg

If I can remember to clean the lens before use, it is no big deal, but as forgetful as I am, there is more than one time that I got a big ugly spot on my photos by forgetting to do this.

So I am glad to see Olympus make such an improvement on their latest versions.

That does sound like a pretty good improvement. Glad I don't have to worry about the water spot.

Uh oh... I just saw that the TG-2 has Aperture priority. I am a sucker for compact cameras with manual exposure controls - although aperture priority is not quite manual exposure - but close enough in many circumstances.

Now I am having to find reasons not to need a new underwater camera.

Uh oh... I just saw that the TG-2 has Aperture priority. I am a sucker for compact cameras with manual exposure controls - although aperture priority is not quite manual exposure - but close enough in many circumstances.

Now I am having to find reasons not to need a new underwater camera.

I only wish I had a clue as to what you are talking about..haha. I am sure this is more camera than I need as I don't know much about it. I just wanted a camera that would take good underwater pictures and I could climb the waterfalls with.

I only wish I had a clue as to what you are talking about..haha. I am sure this is more camera than I need as I don't know much about it. I just wanted a camera that would take good underwater pictures and I could climb the waterfalls with.

It means it's a much more flexible, full featured camera than you'd expect at this price point for a jpeg only system. Which also means you can grow into it as you get comfortable with it, and frankly, for what you want, you're going to have to work to outgrow it!

Use the time before you're on the cruise to play with the auto and program modes. The program modes give you options for flash; in iAuto, the camera manages everything. In program, you can opt to use fill flash, which is very useful in bright light. Thumb through the scene (SCN) modes; you have a LOT of choices there! The self portrait mode actually works, surprisingly! And, this is a camera you can drop and dunk in water.

Enjoy!

Have you had the chance to do any prints? I was hoping to find an all in one camera that I don't have to worry about compared to my DSLR but a couple of the reviews I read on Amazon said that the camera isn't good for anything more than postcard sized prints. I am curious if they are being truthful or nitpicking.

I just feel like I might want to be able to print a few pics at 8 by 10 or 11 by 14 if they come out nice.

Haven't done any prints. I have pixel peeped as far as I can go in LightRoom, and see no degredation. Honestly, for review, I'd check out B&H or Adarama; I give little or no credence to Amazon reviews. Most on B&H are very positive with the image quality, and most B&H shoppers are moderately serious photographers.

12 MP will let you go as big as you should go. 11 X 14 is always a stretch for a point and shoot...

I purchased an Olympus Tough 2 cruises ago (thanks to leaving my battery chargers at home for my Canon D10's) :rolleyes: But mine is the 620. I have to say I LOVE THIS CAMERA. It does so many things and takes such good pictures both in the water and out. I have really been impressed with it. :) Now if I could only remember to "use" all of the different settings it has to offer I'd be good. :D

Just got back from our indoor waterpark adventure. Had fun playing with the camera although snorkeling will be way different. We basically just went underwater and snapped pictures...they turned out great as far as the quality goes but of course they were very silly pictures. The kids had a lot of fun trying it out. The weirdest part was actually putting this camera in the water.

Have you experienced any unwanted noise when recording video? A lot of reviews say this is a fault of the camera trying to autofocus or when using manual zoom. The sound, apparently, is the focusing motor and is quite annoying during video playback.

I'd like to get one of these, but the video issue has me concerned.

Thanks!!

Have you experienced any unwanted noise when recording video? A lot of reviews say this is a fault of the camera trying to autofocus or when using manual zoom. The sound, apparently, is the focusing motor and is quite annoying during video playback.

Thanks!!

I haven't tried the video function yet; wasn't why I bought the camera. I'll have to check sometime and see.

Thanks!!

I have not tried the video either. When I do, I will report back as far as the noise is concerned.

I've finally given my TG-2 enough of a workout to feel better recommending it. I used it for a couple weeks in the Virgin Islands and really beat the snot out of it. It was dropped several times, slid across the deck more than once and spent 2-4 hours a day underwater. I was nice and only took it down to 35 feet but even at depth the controls worked as freely as they do on the surface with no stiffening or binding.

I am still not sure which is the best underwater mode to use but ended up mostly using one that allowed zooming, auto focus and the flash to fire which helped brighten the colors at deeper depths. Surprisingly zooming in a bit really helped get up close photos of fish without having to spook them by getting so close.

Turtle1_zps748795fd.jpg

Fish3_zps484ade35.jpg

I wish I could say the TG-2 was as fast and sharp as my DSLR but it's not. It does well but it suffers as most underwater cameras do by having to look through the front glass. Focusing is generally quite good and pretty fast and the f2 lens really helps in low light situations without resorting to flash.

Rainbow1_zps533e9f44.jpg

Sunset2_zpsac059db8.jpg

If using the TG-2 underwater I'd throw away the annoying plastic trim ring around the lens. The camera ships with a red & black one and it's only cosmetic and must be removed every time you come out of the water and rinse the camera off so I quickly lost it. Also, make sure to occasionally wipe off the lens window. Days of handling got the camera covered in thin film of sunscreen. This did not affect photos on land but in the water it messes up the coating on the glass and bubbles and water spots stuck. When the window is clean bubbles and water drops slide right off for clearer pictures.

Archived