wine and liquor stores

jascom

we are taking alaska cruise/tour for 14 nights and would like to know if there are any bars or liquor stores near princess lodges in

Anchorage

Copper river

Fairbanks

Denali/Mt.mckinley

Whittier

thank you

In Anchorage (where our cruise tour started) we stayed at the Captain Cook. If you stand at the front entrance there is a liquor store across the street to the left, about a block down. It was nice to have a bottle of whiskey on the land portion. At Denali we fixed a couple drinks and went down to the outside area overlooking the river. When we were in Anchorage we picked up a couple insulated coffee mugs- these came in handy for the whole trip- for coffee, for cocktails, and for hot chocolate, of course I still have them. We brought instant hot chocolate packets from home- nice on cooler mornings. Some cruise ships provide free hot chocolate, but on Princess they had carts up by the pools selling hot chocolate with and without a shot of booze. By the time we got to the ship there was about 6 shots left in the bottle- I packed it in our bag- if they take it, who cares, but they didn't. So, a couple drinks on the balcony in the evening. We bought whiskey in a plastic bottle- not as heavy and less chance of breakage. Have a great time- we did Anchorage, train to Double Denali, Fairbanks, Coldfoot, Deadhorse, flew back to Anchorage, and then the bus to Whittier and the cruise ship.

Fairbanks: a half-mile or so at the Fred Meyers

Whittier - there is no Princess lodge there

Copper River and Mt. McKinley - out in the middle of nowhere, no liquor store

Denali - across the street at the Lynx Creek convenience store

Laurie, thanks for the tips. I was going to bring mugs from home, but Alaska ones would be nice. Also, I appreciate the hot chocolate tip. I thought Princess would have it free. I think I will take a few envelopes. I found the wine store while searching for one in Anchorage. We plan to go there for our 2 bottles of wine. Also good to know a little liquor made it on the ship.

Just wanted to re-enforce Huskyguy's comment. During a week long quick trip down to Valdez, Anchorage and Hatcher Pass earlier this month we stayed at both the Copper River and McKinley View Princess lodges. Both are very isolated. At the McKinley View folks can take the Princess shuttle (for a fee) to Talketna, but at the Copper River facility if you don't have a car you are on that property with no options.

Thanks for the information , we will be at Anchaorage then Copper River , Denali back to Anchorage/ Whitter to board ship, so I guess our best chances are in Anchorage when we start or try for Denali.

Cori

I strongly recommend that people have their own snacks and beverages when going on a cruise tour in Alaska, especially if there is a medical need to have certain food items at hand at certain times of the days.

I was on a recent non-Alaska tour where the primary hotel in an isolated area ran out of All Bran and similar with no alternative cereals. If that sort of thing is important to you, have your own cereal in your luggage.

And if you want your own wine, spirits or even Dr. Pepper have that along as well.

I carry along my own snacks, coffee and tea supply and a hot water device and more than likely a small bottle of liquor.

Do not assume that what you might like to have will be available on a cruise tour at the times you may wish to have your choice.

I strongly recommend that people have their own snacks and beverages when going on a cruise tour in Alaska, especially if there is a medical need to have certain food items at hand at certain times of the days.

I was on a recent non-Alaska tour where the primary hotel in an isolated area ran out of All Bran and similar with no alternative cereals. If that sort of thing is important to you, have your own cereal in your luggage.

And if you want your own wine, spirits or even Dr. Pepper have that along as well.

I carry along my own snacks, coffee and tea supply and a hot water device and more than likely a small bottle of liquor.

Do not assume that what you might like to have will be available on a cruise tour at the times you may wish to have your choice.

thank you.thats a great idea.we are going first time on cruisetour.how much luggage can you take on tour part?

thank you.thats a great idea.we are going first time on cruisetour.how much luggage can you take on tour part?

You are certainly welcome!

You need a small carry on bag for your train/bus segments and are allowed 1 full size (as you would check on an airplane) suitcase per person for the tour. You are also allowed to send a suitcase ahead to meet you on your ship....but that's a lot of stuff.

Millions of suitcases are moved around Alaska every cruise and tour season. Very interesting to watch!

You likely will be happy with your 1 small day bag for the train/bus and 1 standard size suitcase that will be moved for you from location to location on your tour but will be with you at night. Many of the people have that 'bag to the cruise' suitcase with formal wear, fancy shoes etc.

I hope this is clear.

If you are cruising first and touring 2nd, that fancy clothes suitcase will meet you when you are on your way out of Alaska.

For the best info check your cruise documents and instructions. Cruise lines vary a bit in how they do things.

Archived