Lindblad cost vs mass market (HAL)

NoobCruise

Has anyone done one of the National Geographic expeditions with Lindblad? We're looking at the Alaska itineraries. We've cruised with Carnival and HAL, but we really cruise more for the ports and excursions than the ship experience. We're more the outdoor adventurous type than luxury minded. And really, I can do without formal night lol

The NG excursions look amazing! How do the costs compare in the end? For example, we sailed in an aft corner suite on the Westerdam last year ($2600 pp x 2 people) and by the time we paid for excursions, it was $8000 or $9000 just in fare and excursions. Clearly the NG fare is much higher than a suite on HAL, but is it worth it? Are there hidden costs on the NG cruise or is it safe to compare their upfront cruise price with what we paid in fare and excursions on HAL?

How do the NG excursions compare to the mass market excursions? They sound like a much much better experience. Are they as good as they sound (and worth the higher total cost?) or are they similar to the mass market excursions?

How different is the onboard experience? I realize it's far more casual and NOT luxury, but how are the cabins as far as comfort and amenities? How's the food?

In general, would you prefer NG or a mass market cruise and why?

We have done small ship/small group cruising and in general it is superior in experience to the mass market ships. You need to see what items are included for National Geo from excursions to wine with dinner and tips.

Be informed!

With NG (and Smithsonian) you will have a very high level of professional staff, guides and experts with you. To me this is priceless.

Food is superior on NG.

You will not be nicheled and dimed to pieces on NG. There won't be hidden costs on NG but there will be a list of stated extra costs in the brochure such as personal laundry, medical expenses, and cocktails/wine.

You may meet some fantastic folks on NG.

I do 'small ship/small tours' as much as possible. After doing so, you won't want to get back on a mass market ship unless you are doing a family reunion thing (which has happened to us).

And at the top of my list: no NG you will be 1 of a few people instead of 1 of thousands. Makes a huge difference.

There is a tremendous difference in the quality of the experience. As long as you are inclined to pay the cost difference, you will get a lot more out of the small ship cruise. As an example, on August 3 there is a Lindblad 7 day sailing from Sitka to Juneau with many sites not available on larger ships: ocean view would be $5,990 pp. Also you would have to get yourself to Sitka and back from Juneau. Also, there is HAL Westerdam , round trip Seattle to a few of the sites, for $999 pp in an ocean view.

Archived