advance shore excursions

angie2003

I have recently booked first carnival cruise- but I am curious how far in advance shore excursions become available? Other lines state 120 days in advance, etc - however I am having trouble finding this info on carnivals website and the customer service person I spoke to didnt really know either. I am approximately 400 days out now, but want to get it all set since it will be first cruise with the kids!! :)

Take your time, do your research. Most people will tell you they can find excursions cheaper online or here on CC. Personally, we have found good deals thru Carnival and the Internet. I don't mind using Carnivals excursions when it is a cruise during the busier hurricane months, September and October. We have had an excursion cancelled before because of weather, we had our money back before we got off the ship.

As far as booking this far out, I would think they do not let you because they may not partner up with a company next year. Or, the company could fold between now and then.

• 1 month later...

I am like you not sure whether to wait to book the shore excursions in advance or on the ship. The last cruise we were on most of the more popular excursions were already fully booked. Do you think the cost is cheaper if you pre-book? Thanks

I too am 400 days out whopee! Some but not all of the Carnival excursions are available already for my cruise on the Breeze. I have no problem booking them this far out to guarantee I get what I want but the ones I want are not available yet.

I am like you not sure whether to wait to book the shore excursions in advance or on the ship. The last cruise we were on most of the more popular excursions were already fully booked. Do you think the cost is cheaper if you pre-book? Thanks

No, it will be the same price no matter when you book. The cruise lines have contracts with set prices with the independent operators and they never offer discounts.

No, it will be the same price no matter when you book. The cruise lines have contracts with set prices with the independent operators and they never offer discounts.

Actually, they do. Try RetailMeNot.com. It's complicated but some times you will end up with a 10 percent discount for each excursion booked in advance. I did it for a Liberty cruise in February for 2 excursions and it worked. Nice savings for little effort. Again, it is not the easiest site to navigate and for some reason you may have to try it a few times before you get the discount code. They must limit it to so many discounts per day. That's just my guess.

Most excursions do not seell out so take your time to research.

For a first cruise suggest you do this thru ship as it is easier and less worries.

Many if not most experienced cruisers will book privately for better and cheaper tours

On our first cruise we booked all our excursions through Carnival. Of course that was also before I discovered Cruise Critic. I now book our excursions through independent companies based on the great suggestions, pictures, and reviews by others on this site. I have saved a lot of money on excursions and been in smaller groups doing them which allows for more personalized service. Wishing you the best of luck and great weather on your cruise.

We booked our cabanna for HMC when we booked our cruise because those sell out before you get on the ship. Other times we have waited until we get on the ship to book at the shore excursion deck. It just depends on how popular the excursion is and if it is limited to a few people.

Now that we have reached platinum, we will often do our own excursions .

400 days is way too far out to book thru either Carnival and especially a private one. Too many variables if you ask me. 6 months I would start looking, but not book until 3 to 4 months out.

I booked a helo tour in Puerto Rico when on the Dream for next week. Booked that as a private one and the ships's offers 3 months out. No problems.

Archived